• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How's Westfield Sportsman's Club been lately?

I was a member last year but didn't renew for this one. Meant to, but got the letter saying they had to have an RO at all times when someone wanted to shoot. Didn't bother over the summer as I was hoping the kinks would get worked out or they'd give up the policy, but I'm getting the 100+ meter itch. If you've been a member this past year, how's it been since the changes?

I've been up there at least one day a week all year, no issues, but I usually go in the mornings. There are more Range Officers now so the Club is open almost all the time now. Haven't had an issue with the Club not being open or closing early. Plenty of open ranges.

I've been debating with myself over whether to renew at Westfield. Beautiful facility, but I haven't been back since they shut the ranges down right after the most recent incident. I fully expected their initial reaction to go full retard, and wasn't disappointed. Now that things have had a chance to settle down a bit, I'm hoping they're still a viable option. I haven't seen a letter from them (they may still have my old address) yet, and it doesn't seem to be on the website. Does the RSO restriction apply to all ranges, or just centerfire rifle?

I haven't shot there as much as I used to when I worked a couple miles down the road, but it's such a nice facility, I'll probably renew this year. Hoping they have enough RSOs......

As long as one is on property, you're good to go. I've had my membership card checked more frequently and there are a lot more new faces, but it's pretty much status quo.

Can't be too different than normal then, used to have my card pinned to my hat. Have they been good about keeping people there during daylight?

Yes, during the summer I usually go up Wednesday and Thursdays. Sometimes at 8 most of the time just before noon until midafternoon...not a single issue. Honestly, I really haven't noticed anything different. They have been good about the staffing, no complaints.

Sounds good to me, going to go sign up for the coming year tomorrow morning. I've got a good host of rifles that need to be zeroed.

Quick follow up. I went down on their membership drive, fee was $70. Haven't been there yet between sunrise and sundown when a RO wasn't present, but they either are shooting on the range themselves, taking a walk/drive past the ranges every once in a while, or chilling in the now-usually-open clubhouse for a time. Not creeping over your shoulder. All the guys I've met so far have been very friendly. The ranges were redone a couple years ago and still look in form and I haven't seen any trash brass cluttering the benches. They've definitely working very well with the new system.

I've been debating with myself over whether to renew at Westfield. Beautiful facility, but I haven't been back since they shut the ranges down right after the most recent incident. I fully expected their initial reaction to go full retard, and wasn't disappointed. Now that things have had a chance to settle down a bit, I'm hoping they're still a viable option. I haven't seen a letter from them (they may still have my old address) yet, and it doesn't seem to be on the website. Does the RSO restriction apply to all ranges, or just centerfire rifle?

I haven't shot there as much as I used to when I worked a couple miles down the road, but it's such a nice facility, I'll probably renew this year. Hoping they have enough RSOs......

Something since the incident with the 8 YO and the UZI?

Nice club, but a strict "no guests except family members" policy and "persons under 21 limited to non-high capacity long guns only". Guess that 19 year old home on leave from the Marines can't be trusted with an AR15.

Anybody know if Westfield does any public skeet /trap shoots?

They always did, but it's been long enough since I last used a shotgun there that I don't remember what days & times. If you're rolling by there on the weekend, the gate is usually open this time of year so renewals can come in. Whoever's in the clubhouse will know.

Stopped by this afternoon to zero a scope I just installed on the muzzleloader. Rifle range closed @ 2pm today, due to lack of RO.

Stopped by this afternoon to zero a scope I just installed on the muzzleloader. Rifle range closed @ 2pm today, due to lack of RO.

Ouch - I renewed this year, but what you just ran into is exactly the sort of potential problem that made me hesitant to continue with them in the first place. I love shooting at ranges during low use periods, crowds make me cranky.

Update: Saturday afternoon's have been getting staffed, and there's an upcoming class (next month or so) for RO's. Decided to sign up for it and try to help them keep the ranges open longer. The place was packed yesterday morning too, a lot of people shooting targets and the shit.

Another western mass noob here.

The wife and I joined Westfield recently, to take our first shots, and hopefully, have some fun.

We were both on vacation last week. Made two mid-day attempts, two different days. Both times, no RO on duty...no shooting.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best time to find the ranges open, but not crowded?

Of course, vacation came and went way too quick, so we're pretty much limited to weekends now. [thinking]

To update with a bit of info from my recent, infrequent visits, I have not had a problem accessing the range. There's a noticeable lack of crap lying around on the ranges & benches now, and way fewer people who seem "out of place" at a range (which I used to see often midweek). The RO present requirement is tricky, as there're only so many volunteers putting in the time, but I'd like to thank those that do -- some putting in 9+ hour days there.

We had a discussion about it at last night's RO mtg at BR&P. Until they are made illegal by law, they are OK as long as the shooter is putting them all in the berm.

Back
Top Bottom