Alone.

BigTimber

NES Member
Anyone else watching this? I like the idea. I've been thinking about what 10 things I'd bring. I think the cop is going to bail before day 2. Should be interesting.

10 dudes dropped on Vancouver island. Last man standing wins 500,000. No camera crew, alone. History ch

Alone, really? Who's doing the filming?

They are filming themselves, trail cams and the like. The Leo crapped his pants night one and bailed[rofl]. I'm usually not one for "reality" tv but this wasn't too bad. There's a kid from MA in it, interested to see how he does.

Just finished ep 4. Amazing how people let their fears take over. "Combat" vet bugs out ,can't take being scared of bears and is lonely. Half the starting group has bailed and it's not even been a week.

Just finished ep 4. Amazing how people let their fears take over. "Combat" vet bugs out ,can't take being scared of bears and is lonely. Half the starting group has bailed and it's not even been a week.

Having never spent a minute on Vancouver so I am MMQB'ing here, the show is pretty laughable. Why go through the process of getting on to that show, flying all the way out there, trying to win a half million dollars only to cry and tap out a few days in to it?

That one guy was drinking tide pool run off... [thinking]

Haven't seen the show but it sounds like an interesting premise at least. A lot of people underestimate what it is like to be on extended trips in the back country completely solo in country with large predators (wolves, bears, lions). It can really mess with your head. I have friends that didn't last 2 days after being being dropped off 8-10 miles back in the Nevada high country hunting muley's. One day in and they started the trek out. Not everyone is cut out for it.

Yet another "outdoor" "survival" show that never shows predators on camera filmed by the contestant/star. Always a completely different shot whenever an animal is supposedly in the area.

Haven't seen the show but it sounds like an interesting premise at least. A lot of people underestimate what it is like to be on extended trips in the back country completely solo in country with large predators (wolves, bears, lions). It can really mess with your head.

I agree. We're genetically hard-wired to be afraid of the dark, though I think some people are more fearful than others.

I did a fair amount of nighttime soldiering back in the day and there's a huge difference between being with even just one other person and being by yourself at night. In one incident an infantry battalion I was attached to lost a soldier in the forest on the slopes of Mount Kenya. He spent the night up a tree with leopards prowling around and was very shaken up the following day.

I think anyone who lasts more than one night alone on Vancouver Island is doing well.

Last edited:
Ok, I have a little experience on this, having spent 2 weeks alone in Denali (several times now) with a couple of hundred grizzlies, and 2 weeks in Wrangell St Elias with one other person and wolves and grizzlies. There is a huge difference in mindset. With that said, the guys that tapped out already were laughable in my book. One of the guys was smart and started building a nice little log cabin for himself and then broke down when he realized the clay he found wouldn't be good for a fireplace and then stopped building, WTF? These guys were also touted as survival experts of some sort, apparently that means they watched survivorman on TV. A couple of them did have close encounters with bears and a cougar, but the fact they moved on should have made them more motivated to stay, instead they quit. They all were given bear spray and flares, not one was deployed before they quit. Did they not know there were going to be predators there? It does look like a very inhospitable place for finding food, but it's a freaking rainforest and they can't find water? It rains just about everyday! I must be missing something because I think half my neighborhood would have lasted at least a week out there, even the disabled lady across the street. I think the guy that eats anything will win, he ate a banana slug the second day...

Haven't seen the show but it sounds like an interesting premise at least. A lot of people underestimate what it is like to be on extended trips in the back country completely solo in country with large predators (wolves, bears, lions). It can really mess with your head. I have friends that didn't last 2 days after being being dropped off 8-10 miles back in the Nevada high country hunting muley's. One day in and they started the trek out. Not everyone is cut out for it.

True. Until you've done it you have no idea.

I stayed out in the woods all alone for 4 nights once in the fall. I was 14 at the time. I can tell you that even as a grown man with a firearm, there is something unsettling about being alone in the deep woods at night.

Every sound kind of puts you on edge and every horror movie you ever watched starts playing in your head. Walking through is one thing and not that big of a deal, but trying to let down your guard enough to fall asleep is a different story

I agree. We're genetically hard-wired to be afraid of the dark, though I think some people are more fearful than others.

I did a fair amount of nighttime soldiering back in the day and there's a huge difference between being with even just one other person and being by yourself at night. In one incident an infantry battalion I was attached to lost a soldier in the forest on the slopes of Mount Kenya. He spent the night up a tree with leopards prowling around and was very shaken up the following day.

I think anyone who lasts more than one night alone on Vancouver Island is doing well.

Vancouver Island is pretty interesting because, as bdb mentioned, there are actually black bears, grey wolves and mountain lions. This guy captured some video of the tail end of a death match between a wolf and a lion. If I was sent to sleep alone out there without a rifle I would be pretty freaked out.

-edit-

Even with a rifle I'd be pretty freaked out.

http://globalnews.ca/video/2041398/wolf-cougar-battle-on-vancouver-island-caught-on-camera

Last edited:
I like the show so far, the pussbags go home early and we'll see how far the rest make it. I like that they pretty much jumped a week in the 4th episode, so the last 4 that are there have been there 2+ weeks now. Judging from the promo's it looks like the big dude from Georgia ( I think ) lost a good amount of weight, like 25+ pounds which means we might be looking at 30+ days out there.

We'll see if anyone can make it up to 50 days like this guy did, granted he had more stuff with him...

Last edited by a moderator:
I stayed out in the woods all alone for 4 nights once in the fall. I was 14 at the time. I can tell you that even as a grown man with a firearm, there is something unsettling about being alone in the deep woods at night.

Every sound kind of puts you on edge and every horror movie you ever watched starts playing in your head. Walking through is one thing and not that big of a deal, but trying to let down your guard enough to fall asleep is a different story

BAH! Fear is internal. Very few of those animals are predators who would actually attack a human without provocation. Even fewer hunt at night. Of the predators who hunt at night and would attack a human, only the wolf actually lives on the island.

If you are on a show like this:

1. They screened you psychologically so they know you are a complete basket case but sound tough.
2. You are seeking attention in all the wrong places.
3. You probably should have prepared by reading survival books, blogs, etc. Learn about the predators & conditions?
4. Wouldn't you spend a few nights in the wilderness alone? Seriously? Get comfortable with yourself alone in the dark?

Bunch of pussies. Try being 100 miles from nowhere instead of a damn INHABITED island of the coast of BC (granted it is a big island and the wolves do grow to 60 KG).

Last edited:
Is the show representative of real survival, ie. assuming deer is not in season there and a contestant killed and ate one, would he be ok legally?

I haven't seen them kill anything yet, except for a fish, some snails and a slug, I think. I believe the show producers are part of the 'guns are icky' crowd.

Tough to bring down a deer with bear spray though. [grin]

And you need to have cat-like reflexes to spray a wolf. And a ton of stupidity to get close enough to spray a bear.

If that is your last line of defense, my guess is you are panicking & pissing yourself too much to flip the safety and spray a little canister at the ranges where it would be effective.

And you need to have cat-like reflexes to spray a wolf. And a ton of stupidity to get close enough to spray a bear.

If that is your last line of defense, my guess is you are panicking & pissing yourself too much to flip the safety and spray a little canister at the ranges where it would be effective.

not to get in a debate, but the heavy duty bear canisters work very well against bears speaking from experience, good up to 30 feet but you're screwed if the wind is wrong. 44 Mag works much better as a deterrent both from a sound to scare them away and to put them down if they are persistent. Sometimes you don't have the option of knowing when you're going to get close enough to a bear.

not to get in a debate, but the heavy duty bear canisters work very well against bears speaking from experience, good up to 30 feet but you're screwed if the wind is wrong. 44 Mag works much better as a deterrent both from a sound to scare them away and to put them down if they are persistent. Sometimes you don't have the option of knowing when you're going to get close enough to a bear.

No debate, the "bear spray" I saw sold in Ontario was little more than a slightly enlarged pepper spray. I would want something the size of a spray paint can and even then, how many sprays would you get?

No debate, the "bear spray" I saw sold in Ontario was little more than a slightly enlarged pepper spray. I would want something the size of a spray paint can and even then, how many sprays would you get?

The larger cans spray for 10-20 seconds, which, coincidently, is the same amount of time you are shitting your pants as the bears comes towards you.

Back
Top Bottom