• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hammock Camping Thread

I put up the Hennessy last night with the cold weather cover (basically a top for the hammock to cover the screen), the hex tarp, a 0 degree Arrowhead underquilt, and DD top quilt. I had plenty of layers but was freezing. I got up in the night, made some adjustments to the bottom quilt and that seemed to make things better. But after a while my back was getting pretty cold and I didn't sleep very well.

Arrowhead rates their quilts for comfort, so a 0 degree quilt should be comfortable down to 0 degrees. It was somewhere around 30 last night and I was not comfortable. After the mid night adjustment I was warm for a little while, but maybe a couple hours at most. My top side stayed warm, but my back, butt, legs and heels were cold.
Not to be a richard, but did they say Farenheit, or Celcius?

After all, 0C = 32 F.....

Not to be a richard, but did they say Farenheit, or Celcius?

After all, 0C = 32 F.....
They don't say either way, and I did double check that after almost freezing to death once. But it's the lowest rating on their four season version. And it's made in the USA.

And I pity the fool that needs an under quilt at 60 deg C (140 deg F).

1713731379908.png

1713730932003.png

Well I spent some time this evening dicking around with my setup. As loose as it goes, it's still "snug" underneath. The problems I have are at the ends, primarily the foot end where I get in. No matter what I do, the under quilt wants to congregate on the left where my feet aren't. I adjusted both the width and "length" where it hooks on the ridge line with some improvement.

I wish I took a picture, but I used twist ties to help pull the quilt up to the ridgeline vs along the ridgeline if that makes sense. Kind of like what these would do. I think if there are other things I want from Dutchweargear.com I'll get a set to try. I think the twist ties helped, but I'm really not sure.

1713833654824.png

I'm going to give it more time, but I'm really not sold on the bottom entry. Dutch Gear looks to have discontinued the zipper add-on service, and I'm not handy enough to sew on a zipper without ruining the whole thing. So we'll see where I go from here.

I gave up on bottom entery hammocks and really only appreciate them in warmer months, I have used them from late April to late September but when Temps drop below 40° I would rather be in a tarp with good ground padding.

This is what I was trying to do tonight, but I just have the one adjustment per end, not two like he shows. No reason I can't make a mod or two to make this happen.

View: https://youtu.be/D9N3KkV5Zf4?t=156
And I found probably the same thing that DutchWearGear sells on Thingaverse and printed up a couple tonight. If they work I'll probably make a few more because they look handy for hanging stuff from the ridge line.

Last edited:
I love my Hennessey Hammock. Only down side is the dog doesn't settle down in it. And out of the tent she's up to no good. For winter camping I use an under quilt, the thermal insulated pad gets squished and doesn't work well enough. My AT buddies all had under quilts, and I'll toss a blanket over the guide line helps trap the warmth in. I can camp in the 20's with that setup. I watched a YouTube video I could probably find if you were Intersted.

I love my Hennessey Hammock. Only down side is the dog doesn't settle down in it. And out of the tent she's up to no good. For winter camping I use an under quilt, the thermal insulated pad gets squished and doesn't work well enough. My AT buddies all had under quilts, and I'll toss a blanket over the guide line helps trap the warmth in. I can camp in the 20's with that setup. I watched a YouTube video I could probably find if you were Intersted.
How big is your dog? :oops:

That sounds a lot like what I'm doing. I'm just trying to get the under quilt to cooperate.

I even have the cover that Hennessy sells that does like your blanket idea. It has a couple vents presumably to prevent condensation. I kind of wish one wasn't right over my face because there was enough draft that my delicate, tender skin was chilly.

I also treated myself to a hooded down "sweater" jacket from LL Bean today. That should be nicer than a balaclava and two hoodies.

There are other ways to help stay warm in a hammock too as a side note.

If there is leaf cover on the ground, you can sweep them up into a pile then set your hammock just above them when you get in you'll "sink" into the pile, insulating you.

If there are pines around or trees are green you can cut some branches and stick the thick brach end into the ground creating a pine needle/leaf wall around the hammock to stop the wind from blowing under you as much.

Any way to slow air movement will help.

I keep the Mylar bubble pad and an under quilt with mine. Combined with my 0F bag and a goretex bivvy sack you can sleep pretty cold. The sleeping bag I stand in, then sit into hammock. Have had good/comfortable success with this method.

Back
Top Bottom