• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hammock Camping Thread

That'll make a decent underquilt [wink]

Hennessey bro. Nobody likes sleeping out in the open with mosquitos.

I ordered the bug net as well. Snacks turned me on to the ENO when we went camping last year, he seems happy enough with his.

Although, I just saw that Hennessey has multicam hammocks, that's dope.

There are plenty of other hammock makers than Hennessey LOL.

And f that no bug net crap. Even when I winter hammock I have the bug net on.

That's true. Clark and a few others make nice stuff. A bit more pricey in most cases though.

Plus if you have kids Henn normally does their Christmas sale where you get a Cub for free or at some crazy low price.

That's true. Clark and a few others make nice stuff. A bit more pricey in most cases though.

Plus if you have kids Henn normally does their Christmas sale where you get a Cub for free or at some crazy low price.
Oh, absolutely. I have the Hennessey Cub on my scout buying guide. I'm more in the "cottage made" house when it comes to gear. I've been eying up another top quilt. I have:

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/store/p314/Owyhee_Top_Quilt_Regular.html

but want:

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/store/p608/White_Cloud_Top_Quilt_Reg.html

Nothing like being a gear junky. I love my hammock, and think I will get at least 5 more seasons out of it.....

This is how I hang mine using reppel rings. Super fast setup, super easy to tension.

This is what I'm using for an underquilt. Not the official one, but it works awesome. Technically it's a cheap double wall hammock. Super light and compacts. We have 5 hammocks I bought before they had the winter kits and I'm too cheap to grab a winter kit for each one. I do have the Hennessey bubble mylar pads though. They are great, but they take up a lot of space.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XOO8LU0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll probably look into the rappel rings. Running that Neolite hammock as an underquilt; do you just string it to your support line, and kick it aside when entering the hammock? I had looked at the double bubble mylar, thinking that Hennessy's suggestion of stowing it as a pack liner of sorts might work. at $35, it would be worth a shot. If I'm going to run this hammock in the backcountry(I'd like to), it will probably be with an Eberlestock terminator that I picked up for a steal, so there will be plenty of place to haul something that doesn't weigh anything.

I'll probably look into the rappel rings. Running that Neolite hammock as an underquilt; do you just string it to your support line, and kick it aside when entering the hammock? I had looked at the double bubble mylar, thinking that Hennessy's suggestion of stowing it as a pack liner of sorts might work. at $35, it would be worth a shot. If I'm going to run this hammock in the backcountry(I'd like to), it will probably be with an Eberlestock terminator that I picked up for a steal, so there will be plenty of place to haul something that doesn't weigh anything.

Yes to the bold.

I really like the bubble liner when using it. I hate it when packing. It's really big no matter how you roll/fold it. Bigger than the hammock in the bag. It weighs next to nothing, but it takes up a lot of space.

I'm planning on a doing a documented winter night this year to post. Lowest I've stayed out in was 20F and I'd like to try 10F.

Cool. I'm almost certain that I'm going to hang Friday night. With forecast for scattered showers and temps about 50, it will be a decent first run. I'll go with my Kelty 40* bag and a windshield solar reflector I have that will be cut to fit once the hammock is strung. I'm a hot sleeper, so this may be too much, but we'll see. Planning on drawing water with my Katahdin hiker pro on it's maiden voyage. I want to try some firestarting methods as well. I hope the heavy rain is over by mid afternoon. Worst case, I'm miserable, and I get in my truck and drive 10 minutes home. On a side note, I have a friend doing a section hike on the AT right now with her father, and they've been wet 75% of the time, and eaten alive the other 25%. She's totally jealous of my hammock, since shelter boards and a pad aren't up to that standard.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

The mountains are definitely where the hammock is so much better than a tent. I spend no time looking at maps for flat open sites along trails. I just hike until I'm tired, walk off the trail a ways and throw the hammock up.

The mountains are definitely where the hammock is so much better than a tent. I spend no time looking at maps for flat open sites along trails. I just hike until I'm tired, walk off the trail a ways and throw the hammock up.

That is nice but honestly I found it to be more difficult than anticipated. I haven't had the easiest time finding places because of how dense it is. There are no shortage of trees, but finding trees the right distance apart with a bunch of other trees or whatnot in the way has been harder than I thought. My last time out I had to settle for a couple trees a tad too close together with another tree almost in the way. I had just my smallest tarp with me but had I taken any other it would not have worked. As it was, it wasn't set up so great. There was no rain forecasted (and in fact no rain) so it wasn't an issue. Had it rained, it'd have been suspect.

But yeah, I'd have no idea what I would have done if I was using a tent.

That is nice but honestly I found it to be more difficult than anticipated. I haven't had the easiest time finding places because of how dense it is. There are no shortage of trees, but finding trees the right distance apart with a bunch of other trees or whatnot in the way has been harder than I thought. My last time out I had to settle for a couple trees a tad too close together with another tree almost in the way. I had just my smallest tarp with me but had I taken any other it would not have worked. As it was, it wasn't set up so great. There was no rain forecasted (and in fact no rain) so it wasn't an issue. Had it rained, it'd have been suspect.

True. Sometimes it's pretty tough. When we did the Thirteen Falls trail with the kids, a couple of us were really taking a good look alongside the trail trying to figure out what we would do if the campsite that we were hiking to was full. The good news was, even though it was full, there were ample hanging spots off the site but in the sight of the site.

I'm hanging this weekend up at the lake. Me, the kids, my BIL and his son and our buddy/brew partner and his boys. Gonna be a good sleeping weather weekend.

Funny story about my property; it's haunted AF. One of my buddy's sons (the oldest) had a pretty messed up experience in his hammock one night last year. Said he felt somebody in his hammock with him, hugging him, and having the sensation of warmth. He then heard a woman's voice asking "is he going to be ok?" The property used to be a part of the Winter Hill Ice Company, and quite a few people would fall through the ice only to be pulled out with severe hypothermia. He won't hang his hammock on that side anymore. He freaked out (rightfully so) and ended up spending the rest of the night in the screen house researching hauntings in the area.......

Yea, sometimes a little tough, but I don't think it's taken me more than 15 minutes to find a spot. Most times rain fly is attached to all trees and not to the ground anywhere. I also bring one of those little line levels with me, it helps get things right the first time.

I see why we haven't had many rodents on the property lately
b909bfa0085763e528cf6f926112b7b7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I'm finally getting my first night hanging. Strung my Hennessy, built a fire using my Vaseline coated cotton pads, had some Mountain house for dinner, and some Makers Mark for desert. Gonna be a little cool tonight, I can just see my breath. We'll see what happens.
4ac749076b38de541ff37ac1fc303a55.jpg
ebf28df9027bb51e21acf10c5a7364b0.jpg

Got the new White Cloud top quilt from Arrowhead equipment. I friggen love it. I had the Owyhee top quilt with the velcro-ed foot box, and did not like how the velcro would come undone. The White Cloud has a completely integrated foot box that goes up to the back of my knees. Nice and warm.

The troop is heading up to Maine this weekend for a white water rafting trip, and half of us are hammocking as usual.

My set up other than the top quilt change has remained the same:

IMG_6953.jpg
IMG_6952.jpg

Last edited:
Got the new White Cloud top quilt from Arrowhead equipment. I friggen love it. I had the Owyhee top quilt with the velcro-ed foot box, and did not like how the velcro would come undone. The White Cloud has a completely integrated foot box that goes up to the back of my knees. Nice and warm.

The troop is heading up to Maine this weekend for a white water rafting trip, and half of us are hammocking as usual.

My set up other than the top quilt change has remained the same:

View attachment 204499
View attachment 204500

Nice, I'm out of action for a while, please post some pics of it if you can when you get back. I'm jonesing for the wilderness

For heading out after work and getting to camp very late.

In Stock. Ships in 1-2 business days. Fits all standard 2" vehicle receiver hitches (Class III & IV)Accommodates 114" (and shorter) length hammocks*

Compact package when stowed- Under 27" when collapsed

Fastest setup and stow operation- less than 20 seconds

Angular adjustment accomodates variation in vehicle height Durable powder coat finish with matte black frame with grey telescoping arms (additional colors available in purchase options).Built-in bottle opener Completely self-contained 300 lb weight limit Complete assembly weighs 46 lbs Made in the USA Patent Pending*Hammock not included.

ETA: Wow, yeah $399.00.
Looks like he is just starting out.

https://www.mcleanmetalworksmfg.com/shop
https://www.instagram.com/mcleanmetalworks/

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Headed up this weekend to make, or should I say attempt, a Presidential traverse. Looks like just under 25 miles in 2 days, bagging 7 4,000 footers. We've chosen the option of trekking down Tuckermans to Hermit lake, to split the trip roughly in half. My party is very excited that there are shelters, and I'm all like "just give me a couple of trees"[smile] I've lost about 40 lbs in the last year or so, and aside from a nagging nicotine addiction, am in the best shape I've been in since high school, but I'm pretty nervous about this. I hiked a lot in high school and just after, and have recently hit a few of the 4k'ers, so I'm not a novice, but there's a reason they call this hike the death march. I guess all I can do is put one foot in front of the other.

Headed up this weekend to make, or should I say attempt, a Presidential traverse. Looks like just under 25 miles in 2 days, bagging 7 4,000 footers. We've chosen the option of trekking down Tuckermans to Hermit lake, to split the trip roughly in half. My party is very excited that there are shelters, and I'm all like "just give me a couple of trees"[smile] I've lost about 40 lbs in the last year or so, and aside from a nagging nicotine addiction, am in the best shape I've been in since high school, but I'm pretty nervous about this. I hiked a lot in high school and just after, and have recently hit a few of the 4k'ers, so I'm not a novice, but there's a reason they call this hike the death march. I guess all I can do is put one foot in front of the other.

Good luck, stay hydrated and if your planning on staying in the huts or tent platforms check for reservations. It's all about attitude.

I did this one last year. I believe we knocked off seven peaks in the two days. Felt good to be fifty years old and still be able to pile a bunch of shit on my back and do something like that. My daughter and I are off to Grafton Notch in Maine next week to hike a section. It will be 16 miles round trip. We plan to hammock camp and bring our dog Roxy. Roxy is an old pro though. She did North and South Kinsman and the Cannonballs a few weeks ago, which was about fourteen miles in one day. It will be interesting to see if she will sleep under my hammock though. I will have her leash on a running line under the hammock. Should be a fun trip.

I'm curious to see what the situation is for hanging near the shelter. We'll be bringing auxiliary accommodations enough to make it work either way, but if rather hang. Bonus points on this trip will be hopefully a very early start on day two to get above tree line before sunrise for some Perseid meteor watching.

I'm curious to see what the situation is for hanging near the shelter. We'll be bringing auxiliary accommodations enough to make it work either way, but if rather hang. Bonus points on this trip will be hopefully a very early start on day two to get above tree line before sunrise for some Perseid meteor watching.

No idea of actual conditions for hanging nearby, just remember camping is prohibited within 1/4 mile of the shelter.

I think I am going to be joining the dark side, was going to camp in the yard with my son (5) this weekend cause he wanted to try it and my tent is cooked. I have a probably 10 year old Northface Tadpole 23 and the waterproofing on the inside of it is failing. It has become a sticky mess, the tent is still good but the fly and stuffsack are done. I think it's too old to get parts for too. It's too bad cause despite using it quite abit it's still mint.

I grabbed a Grandtrunk Skeeter Beeter Pro at Cabelas in Scarborough for $70 open package but never used. Going to try it out and see how I like it the decide if I want to get the rest of the stuff to convert to hammock full time or not. I know someone of you have said you have bad backs and it does wonders and I have the same problems. Discs removed at L4,L5.

This guy is a goofball, but if you get along with his sense of humor and have the time to watch, he covers a ton of stuff in his vids. Seems to be a real good guy too. Always helping people out with this stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB8752777861C2AA8
I made it through 30 seconds of his video and I wanted to hunt him down and drive a tent stake through him. Knowledgeable dude, but it's like listening to an insurance sales pitch while eating a mouthful of sand.

Back
Top Bottom