Hammock Camping Thread

This thread has given me great ideas. The lady got us a 2 person ENOS hammock. I was going to buy the matching bug net but now I think I will be able to make one.

My winter hammock with overcover. A work in progress. Overcover is pinned in place to check fit, still needs to be hemmed and sewed on. I also need to redo my tieouts. It should be sewed entirely into the hammock hem, but I went to far and is putting stress on the hammock body. Don't want to ruin the whole thing by ripping it out.

photo_3.jpg
photo_4.jpg

So awesome

I'm probably going to order a 4 season from Dream Hammock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So awesome

I'm probably going to order a 4 season from Dream Hammock

I got the inspiration from dream hammock. He posts a photo of every hammock he makes, and they are amazing. I nearly just bought one but that is more expensive and less fun. And less frustrating!

I finished it with some workable flaws. I'll post pics later.

Edit: I'm not finished. I'll need to strip a seam and redo a small section. I think there is a saying, measure once, cut (in my case, sew) twice? No, that's not it. That' just what I did. Had I measured twice I would be done...

This thread has given me great ideas. The lady got us a 2 person ENOS hammock. I was going to buy the matching bug net but now I think I will be able to make one.

You can. It's pretty easy. There are tutorials on YouTube. Also ripstopbytheroll, diygearsupply, and makeyourgear all have instruction guides. Depends on what type of bugnet you want. They also have kits. Save some money and get a potentially better product.

http://diygearsupply.com/diy-guides/bug-netting/
https://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/zipperless-bottom-entry-hammock-bugnet-kit
https://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/zippered-bugnet-kit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQRoEpK-7SY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfEM6yEO268

Last edited:
Finished hammock:

image.jpg

Hammock body, 1.6oz HyperD in Charcoal Grey
Top cover, 1.1oz ripstop nylon in Olive Yellow (pictures don't do it justice)
Zipper only on one side, but goes over center allowing it to be folded over to one side fully.
.9oz Noseeum mesh for the corner triangles. Used the mesh to allow for venting rather than sewing in vents directly to the topcover. I'm not that good technically.
1.75mm zing-it ridgeline. I may change it for 7/64" amsteel, just because. Undecided.

Two side pullouts with some shockcord attached. Pullouts used to keep the topcover off your face. The topcover shape and the pullouts are in an asymmetrical configuration to allow for a head left, feet right diagonal lay.

Has triple stitched end channels. My previous DIY hammocks used various whipping techniques, this one uses the traditional end channel like you see in many commercial hammocks.

Total weight with double sided stuff sack is 18.9oz.

More DIY:

Fullish length underquilt that can double as a top quilt if necessary. I really boned myself. It is just too short to be effectively used as a top quilt for my height (comes to armpits when laying straight, works well if on side with knees bent) and longer than a really need for a summer underquilt. I should have either made it 5" longer, or a foot shorter. Oh well.

Weights 16.85 ounces in the stuff sack. That's only 4 onces less than my partial length 3 season underquilt.

Installed on my Hennessey. It has a side channel suspension, corner loops, a side loop (to secure together in top quilt mode), and of course end channels.

IMG_2385.jpg
IMG_2388.jpg

IMG_2389.jpg

IMG_2392.jpg

DD Hammocks 4x4 meter tarp

I just ordered a pair of DD Hammock 4x4 meter tarps in multicam. Total was $174 shipped to the US and they threw in a free tee shirt. Not bad. I love the fact that they have so many tie-offs already and the cost is about the same as a DIY in a plain color.

These things are MASSIVE at about 13.1 x 13.1 feet. I plan to use them for winter/foul weather so I can close off the "doors", but they are still too big for my liking. The plan is to remove about 1.5 feet of material along the length of each side, then restitch and seal. That will give me roughly a 13x10.

At that size its still a bit long but I will try it on few trips before deciding if I want to shorten it. The other thought I had was to stitch a couple tie offs along the ridge line about a foot in from each of the ends. That would in theory let me shorten the length by folding the excess underneath. Need to think about that a bit more.

http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/dd_tarp_4x4_mc?from_cat=33

DD_Tarp_4x4_MC_gallery_01.jpg

I camped out in the middle of the Pemigewasset Wilderness last night. I hiked Owl's Head, then found a couple trees off trail to hang from and spent the night. I was prepared for it to get cold out there as the previous night was chilly, but that never happened. I was HOT when I first got in, and stayed comfortable the whole night.

IMG_2427.jpg

IMG_2429.jpg

Bears are out almost every night scuffing around for chow. Makes me a little worried about hanging in the woods behind my home. I'm not tasty, but It takes a bite to find out.

What do I put out to ward them off? Shotgun traps, maybe not....too close to other houses.

Nothing. Just don't be eating snacks in your hammock. And don't BBQ that night. And then wear those clothes to hammock. Then you might actually be tasty.

Bears are out almost every night scuffing around for chow. Makes me a little worried about hanging in the woods behind my home. I'm not tasty, but It takes a bite to find out.

What do I put out to ward them off? Shotgun traps, maybe not....too close to other houses.

If I'm going somewhere bushwhacking (about the only time they may come close) I just use a fishing line with cans and rocks, the noise wakes you up and then you can just yell at the bear and it will run away. Save all your cans from home and you can get about 6 all nesting together with the different sizes, they pack pretty well. In Alaska when the cans shake you get your bear spray and .44 ready.
I'm more concerned about getting stepped on by a moose when I'm hanging between the trees.

If I'm going somewhere bushwhacking (about the only time they may come close) I just use a fishing line with cans and rocks, the noise wakes you up and then you can just yell at the bear and it will run away. Save all your cans from home and you can get about 6 all nesting together with the different sizes, they pack pretty well. In Alaska when the cans shake you get your bear spray and .44 ready.
I'm more concerned about getting stepped on by a moose when I'm hanging between the trees.

Good idea, i'm heading to VT next monthj with my wife to do some primitive camping with firearms. i'll put our food up in a tree a good 50-100 ft away and then set up trip wire

Heading to hike 13 falls with the scouts up in Lincoln this weekend. Lots of boys hammocking..... can't wait to break in my new KAQ top quilt

I have the Klymit insulated static v luxe pad for winter camping. It is very comfortable. I've used it two seasons and no issues so far. If you plan to use the hammock pad in cool/cold weather you need to get the insulated version. Uninsulated air mattresses are not good in cold weather.

Timely bump to this thread. We are taking our troop to Gettysburg on Sunday for the week of NH school vacation. Going to do all the hikes for the patch, as well as the night time ghost tour. We are staying at a council campground about 30 miles from Gettysburg (proper), and can't wait to break out the gear and hang out. We have a cabin at our disposal, but I believe at least half of the kids are going to be hammocking as well as half of the leaders (the cool half that is LOL).....

Timely bump to this thread. We are taking our troop to Gettysburg on Sunday for the week of NH school vacation. Going to do all the hikes for the patch, as well as the night time ghost tour. We are staying at a council campground about 30 miles from Gettysburg (proper), and can't wait to break out the gear and hang out. We have a cabin at our disposal, but I believe at least half of the kids are going to be hammocking as well as half of the leaders (the cool half that is LOL).....

Nice. I just came from Gettysburg too, took the RV though.

Alright guys, I'm getting into the hanging game. I did a good amount of backpacking when I was late teens and early 20's, and have been looking to get back into it now, 20 years later. I just had a friend give me a Hennessy Expedition Asym classic. They bought it, hung in the back yard once a year ago, and never touched it again. I'm a little outside the size parameters for this hammock, but several reviews say that it will accommodate larger than specs, so I'm gonna give it a shot. My folks have a decent chunk of land that they're building a house on as we speak, so that will be a great place to shake things out, with salvation being at worst a 15 minute walk to my truck. I've been following this thread, and re-read it tonight, thanks to all the contributors, and I look forward to happy hanging.(Not Aaron Hernandez style though)

Alright guys, I'm getting into the hanging game. I did a good amount of backpacking when I was late teens and early 20's, and have been looking to get back into it now, 20 years later. I just had a friend give me a Hennessy Expedition Asym classic. They bought it, hung in the back yard once a year ago, and never touched it again. I'm a little outside the size parameters for this hammock, but several reviews say that it will accommodate larger than specs, so I'm gonna give it a shot. My folks have a decent chunk of land that they're building a house on as we speak, so that will be a great place to shake things out, with salvation being at worst a 15 minute walk to my truck. I've been following this thread, and re-read it tonight, thanks to all the contributors, and I look forward to happy hanging.(Not Aaron Hernandez style though)

Good luck, the biggest things I found for an enjoyable experience 1- sleep warm- make sure you have appropriate under protection. nothing worse than waking up with a cold back in the middle of the night. Even in 50-60 degree weather it can be uncomfortable. 2- make sure you sleep diagonally as flat as possible with the right tension on your lines, this is not your old backyard hammock. Get it set up and take many naps in different kinds of weather, that will help. I find that in inclement cold weather I like the tent better, but during the summer months, nothing beats the hammock.

So I finally strung the new Hennessy the other day for the first time. I didn't have it tight enough the first time, as you can see in the picture, but rectified that quickly, then forgot to get another photo. I got in and out several times, and it was way easier than I envisioned. The Velcro closure works slick. I didn't have anything to tie the rain fly off to, so it didn't go up. Looks like a few stakes need to go in the kit. I got in the last time and laid back very comfortably. First thing I noticed was thst even in full sun, at 75*, I was very comfortable, not too hot. I will need to work out insulation, either via pad or under quilt. Definitely fell asleep for about an hour unintentionally. I totally dig it. I'm gonna try to stay out at least one night next weekend, and planning on hanging with a few folks the weekend after to shake out the bugs. Planning a two day Presidential traverse in August, and maybe a couple of other trips this summer, this is gonna be the cat's ass.
c2cbeccff7ae3b7acf6eace887d94aac.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

This is how I hang mine using reppel rings. Super fast setup, super easy to tension.

This is what I'm using for an underquilt. Not the official one, but it works awesome. Technically it's a cheap double wall hammock. Super light and compacts. We have 5 hammocks I bought before they had the winter kits and I'm too cheap to grab a winter kit for each one. I do have the Hennessey bubble mylar pads though. They are great, but they take up a lot of space.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XOO8LU0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom