• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Are Crossbows legal to own in Mass?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Just wondering if Crossbows are legal to own in Mass. I notice that a lot of online retailers will not ship crossbows to Mass and I've been contemplating getting one. As with anything in this state, I want to be positive on the legality of owning one.

As far as I know, only handicapped people are allowed to possess them and hunt with them in MA.

Anyone can possess one, only the disabled (with a note from a doctor) can get a license to hunt with them:

CHAPTER 131. INLAND FISHERIES AND GAME AND OTHER NATURAL RESOURCES.
Chapter 131: Section 69. Bows and arrows for hunting.
Section 69. A person shall not carry or use a bow and arrow while hunting unless said bow and arrow meet such requirements as may be set by rules and regulations which the director is hereby authorized to promulgate. Such rules and regulations shall prescribe general design, weight of pull, and type of bows and arrows, and shall conform to standards generally accepted for bows and arrows used for hunting purposes. Nothing in this paragraph shall permit the use of crossbows by any person other than a person who is permanently disabled such that the person cannot operate a conventional bow and arrow, as certified by a licensed physician. Any costs associated with obtaining the medical documentation, re-evaluation of the information or a second medical opinion are the responsibility of the applicant claiming a permanent disability. The issuance of a crossbow permit under this section shall be subject to rules and regulations promulgated by the director.

Here's a link to the permit application:
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/recreation/licensing/permits/pdf/crossbow_permit_application.pdf

As far as I know, only handicapped people are allowed to possess them and hunt with them in MA.

Another poster beat me to it. They are not illegal to possess. Nor did I see anything to ban selling or purchasing them.

Interesting to note that it is illegal to buy or purchase a slingshot within the Commonwealth. Everyone here keeps thinking of the mindset in the slingshot business when they try to figure out MA gun laws during our gab session on Saturday afternoon.

bill

Slungshots are illegal. Slingshots aren't. Google will tell you the difference as it confuses a lot of folks.

Correct, you can own a Crossbow.

You can own a slingshot. What's not legal is the manufacter and sales of a slingshot.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/269-12.htm

CHAPTER 269. CRIMES AGAINST PUBLIC PEACE

TAMPERING WITH IDENTIFYING NUMBERS OF CERTAIN FIREARMS

Chapter 269: Section 12. Manufacturing and selling knives, slung shots, swords, bludgeons and similar weapons

Section 12. Whoever manufactures or causes to be manufactured, or sells or exposes for sale, an instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as a dirk knife, a switch knife or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, slung shot, sling shot, bean blower, sword cane, pistol cane, bludgeon, blackjack, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or metallic knuckles or knuckles of any other substance which could be put to the same use and with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, shall be punished by a fine of not less than fifty nor more than one thousand dollars or by imprisonment for not more than six months; provided, however, that sling shots may be manufactured and sold to clubs or associations conducting sporting events where such sling shots are used.

So while you can own it, you just can't make it, or sell it.

In High School chemistry class, they taught us to bend glass tubing. ALL of us guys seemed to enjoy that and make "pea shooters" out of them. Roll up a small piece of paper, apply a bit of spit, stuff it in the glass tubing and you could shoot it at kids sitting behind you without ever turning around.

Oh well, I guess that is a felony these days! [thinking] [rolleyes]

But it's all good as it's all "for the children"!!! [rolleyes]

Like mainly, what in the wild world of sports is a ZOOBOW?

(for laugh, search for the word zoobow on google and you
get 900 things that refer to lame MA weapons laws )

I'd also like to see a report detailing all the murders committed with
blowguns, zoobows, bean blowers, etc... I'm sure the
numbers are so insanely high that they were able to use those stats
to justify banning them.

[rofl]

-Mike

it's a hollow pipe also known as a pea shooter. Put a bean or pea in a pipe (any small pipe) and blow. I had several as a kid.

For some reason my first thought as to what a bean blower is was completely different than that. But, I won't go into that.

This is unbelievable... crossbows can't be used? I see people in the woods quite often crossbow hunting. I was chatting with a friend just last week about the crossbow hunting he had tried in MA recently, and he's definitely not handicapped. (He didn't get the deer though.)

Still trying to figure out if I ever manufactured a zoobow. But I know someone will be kicking in my door soon to confiscate all my bludgeons.

Back
Top Bottom