• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Never shot before... which class should I take?

Like I said above, I have never shot a firearm before. I'm of course interested in learning how and applying for an LTC.

Should I start out by taking an intro class i.e. The one offered by MFS, or is it acceptable to take the safety class first (from what I read, it seems to cover what is covered in the intro class.)

Thanks for your help!

I've taken the intro to pistols and rifles at MFS, as well as the intro "Learn to shoot" class at American Firearms School in North Attleboro. I also took Basic Firearms Safety (the pre-req for LTC) class at AFS.

I found that I had more fun at the AFS intro class than at the MFS class. The AFS class had fewer people, and you got to really experience all aspects of shooting the firearm. That is, you're more on your own, but with adequate supervision. The MFS class allowed you to shoot more firearms, but I believe it was fewer total rounds.

The BFSC is a lot longer (8 hrs at AFS) and more expensive ($100 vs $40 at AFS). For a quick taste to see if it's for you.. drop the $40 and try it.. you can always go back and take the BFSC.

JMHO.

There used to be a "First Shots" course at Smith and Wesson, that's what my wife and I took. They're not open to the public any more, not sure if they still hold any classes like that.

I want to take the NRA basic pistol class, but it's hard to find on a weekday, seems to be all weekends or evenings. You might do that after you do your LTC basic safety class at MFS or wherever. Just don't use one of the puppy mills for that class, go to some place good like MFS.

I'd get started on your LTC application right away, it can take a while depending on your town.

Join GOAL and take NRA basic pistol. Sets you up for and LTC and emphasizes all the safety stuff you should know and gets you some (albeit limited) live range time. From there, GOAL offers a bunch of classes depending on your interest.

Another resource (I'm not endorsing or condemning anyone here) is Cloverleaf Firearms Group. He's a member here, and while I haven't worked with him, I like his attitude and approach. Check out the Training sub forum for a bunch of choices.

Back
Top Bottom