• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rifle Range

This is an old thread but wondered if you have any update on the rifle range.

We did our safety course with you a few weeks back, just waiting on phone call from local PD to pick up licenses.

Great course, very friendly staff, great location. We really want to make this are first choice for shooting and would join in a heart beat. However we would like to be able to shoot 556, not keen on the "other" place near us, not as friendly but they do allow 556.

you have some great courses, we will attending the four concealed carry courses as soon as we get our licenses and can purchase our concealed carry choice.

What is the realistic ETA on being able to fire 556 at your range.

thanks

harry

Sorry I missed your post. We had planned a big project for this year but decided to put it off so that we could purchase the building we currently are located in.

Our hope is that 2016 will be the year we will be able to get another range built.

Steve

Sorry for the delay in responding to your post.

We are still in the early negotiations for the purchase of a building that will house the new rifle range.

At the earliest, construction wouldn't begin till next year. That would mean we would be looking at a 2018 opening.

Steve

At this point we are looking at building a new facility at a new location.

Moving everything to the new site or just the rifle range? Wouldn't make sense to drive to another site (if not nearby) when you have everything else in the current building.

I never understood why you guys never modified the current ranges to handle rifles indoors like some other ranges.

We tried to modify our existing ranges to allow rifle fire. Our engineers developed a new technology that enabled the backstop to withstand rifle velocities. However, the project fell short mostly due to sound. We just couldn't get the sound levels in the range down to an acceptable level. We also did not have the space available to build a long rubber trap which is the more conventional way to build a rifle range.

To build an indoor rifle range right you really need to construct the ceiling and walls to manage the sound coming out of the rifles. It can be done...just difficult to retrofit a pistol range to accommodate rifles.

Our current plans are to build three ranges in one building (1 fifty yard range with 15 lanes and 2 twenty yard ranges with a combined 30 lanes).

We tried to modify our existing ranges to allow rifle fire. Our engineers developed a new technology that enabled the backstop to withstand rifle velocities. However, the project fell short mostly due to sound. We just couldn't get the sound levels in the range down to an acceptable level. We also did not have the space available to build a long rubber trap which is the more conventional way to build a rifle range.

To build an indoor rifle range right you really need to construct the ceiling and walls to manage the sound coming out of the rifles. It can be done...just difficult to retrofit a pistol range to accommodate rifles.

Our current plans are to build three ranges in one building (1 fifty yard range with 15 lanes and 2 twenty yard ranges with a combined 30 lanes).
And these three ranges are the one that would be in a totally different facility?

Outdoor ranges would be difficult in Massachusetts due to sound complaints.

We are working on an indoor rife range with sound deadening technology that’s going to make it pleasant to shoot at the facility.
I cant even begin to think of the hurdles trying to open up a new rifle range out doors in MA. The cost would be huge also.
Good luck to the new place.... I don't even want to know what the ROI is on a new facility

I cant even begin to think of the hurdles trying to open up a new rifle range out doors in MA. The cost would be huge also.
Good luck to the new place.... I don't even want to know what the ROI is on a new facility
Q: How do you get a small fortune running a gun range?
A: Start with a large fortune.

You'd be tied up in lawsuits for years and years! Look at the BS that long established gun clubs have and are going thru in their communities.

Actually building a safe outdoor range is very likely cheaper (construction-wise) than an indoor range, however it is the zoning and legal battles that makes it prohibitively expensive and stalled for years on end.

Back
Top Bottom