• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

obtaining new LTC pin number?

I am doing my first purchase at Four Seasons this Thursday since they've had the finger print reader. I know that if it can't read my finger print, I need the pin they sent me with my new LTC. I do not have this number anymore. How can I obtain a new one? Thanks everyone. You've all be so helpful and there is a ton of amazing information on this site. Thanks!

You request it from the PD and they request it from CHSB. But the PD is your contact point if you lost the letter that came with your new LTC.

The letter with the pin on it can be retrieved from the MIRCS terminal at your PD. Not all the detectives knew about this at my PD. I had to tell them they could do this, by first checking with the FRB.
GC

It's the index finger.

I watched a MA State Trooper (in uniform) attempt to buy a handgun at Collectors in Stoneham. The poor guy must have been standing there trying to get a valid read of his index finger for 5 minutes. No exaggeration. [BTW: He is a Southern Boy and he had some appropriately unkind words to say about our firearms purchasing process in MA.]

Did he end up getting it to read? The only thing I remember was they rolled my fingers in ink when I got the old style LTC. I can't for the life of me remember them scanning my prints when I got my new LTC. Is obtaining a pin something I can do by Thursday? I know Four Seasons will be busy because everyone is getting paid on Thursday, I just don't want to be stuck there like the guy in Stoneham.

I know I still have my old style LTC. I'm pretty sure it's the same number as my current card. Will using this have me bi-pass the scanning? Can I obtain the gun without a pin at all. Thanks again. Like I said, I haven't bought a gun from anywhere that requires the finger scan.

I suspect that the PD "CAN" (if they want to) gen up your PIN while you wait. Not 100% positive though. I still have the horseblanket LTC until 2011! My Wife has the new style but hasn't bought anything since she got it (August 2007).

PINs and fingerprint are ONLY operational for the newer style LTC. Old horseblankets don't use either.

Yes, the Trooper finally got a "read" on his finger and proceeded. But he was aggravated from leaning over the counter (unnatural position) for ~5 minutes. I don't know why the guys didn't clean the reader with alcohol after the first few unsuccessful attempts.

It's the index finger.

It depends on what finger they can get to read. For me, it's my middle finger on my right hand. Because they couldn't get three scans on my left hand, right thumb, right index and it worked with my right middle. So, that's what they use for me.

So, in reality, if they can only get your thumb, it might be...

When you type in the LTC number the next screen tells you what finger to use. 95 percent of the time it is the right index finger, but it all depends on what print was readable from the original fingerprinting.
At our shop I've yet to have to resort to a pin number for anyone (at least my customers) and so far the maximum time it has taken to get it registered has been a minute. It is a little tricky, but most people seem to enjoy trying to get the red dot inside the yellow circle. It's kind of like a video game I guess.

Back
Top Bottom