• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I don't believe that NY has any non-res permits.

They used to until the Chautauqua county law department told judge Willard Cass (not ret.) to stop.

There are rumors of very well connected people getting NY permits despite the lack of jurisdictional authority to do so.

This was the case even before the SAFE act I believe.

Do you know if a non-residential permit is acceptable ?
an out of state permit (i.e. MA LTC), if thats what you mean, is not acceptable.

According to some other random internet forums, this is the relevant statute:
Article 270 - OTHER OFFENSES RELATING TO PUBLIC SAFETY

§ 270.00 Unlawfully dealing with fireworks and dangerous fireworks.

4. Sales of ammunition not prohibited. Nothing contained in this
section shall be construed to prevent, or interfere in any way with, the
sale of ammunition for revolvers or pistols of any kind, or for rifles,
shot guns, or other arms, belonging or which may belong to any persons
whether as sporting or hunting weapons or for the purpose of protection
to them in their homes, or, as they may go abroad; and manufacturers are
authorized to continue to manufacture, and wholesalers and dealers to
continue to deal in and freely to sell ammunition to all such persons
for such purposes.

5. Notwithstanding the provisions of subdivision four of this
section, it shall be unlawful for any dealer in firearms to sell any
ammunition designed exclusively for use in a pistol or revolver to any
person, not authorized to possess a pistol or revolver. The violation
of this section shall constitute a class B misdemeanor.

Since NY does not recognize any other states permits there is no way for you to be authorized to possess a pistol or revolver without a license.

And the guy behind the counter at Dicks or Walmart will probably not be impressed with your wild tale of some super exotic rifle/carbine that shoots 9mm or .38 [rolleyes]
YMMV at some local gun shop.

Don't you need an MA LTC to buy any ammo in this state? Just something to remember when flaming other states [laugh]

I am hard pressed to think of a handgun caliber that is not in use on a rifle (or carbine). I have seen .38/.357 lever guns. Hipoint makes 9mm, .40 and .45 carbines (I have a .45 and 9mm).
Maybe .357sig ?

The last time I was in a Dicks in NY, the shotgun ammo was out on the self-service shelves like any other merchandise.

I am hard pressed to think of a handgun caliber that is not in use on a rifle (or carbine). I have seen .38/.357 lever guns. Hipoint makes 9mm, .40 and .45 carbines (I have a .45 and 9mm).
Maybe .357sig ?

How about the reverse?? Rifle rounds that are also used in pistols?? You can do .223/5.56 and 300 Blackout. What else is out there?? I want to build an AR10 pistol (in .308 Winchester) just for giggles and grins... [smile]

BTW, is .380 used in anything other than wee little handguns??

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom