250gr .45ACP with Win231?

Question for you reloading gurus:
I picked up some bulk Missouri Bullet Company "Pinbusters!" for a steel plate/bowling pin load. I did not realize there was a shortage of reloading data on 250gr bullets and am starting to second-guess my wisdom in buying these. I've reloaded quite a bit with 230gr and 185gr, but never with 250gr. I've also read that these are harder on the brass (due to deeper seating).

Brass: Misc (mostly Winchester and Federal)
Powder: Win231
Primer: Winchester Large Pistol

So far what I have found via experiments and Quickload:

Avg boolet length: 0.661
Cartridge OAL: 1.175 (puts the neck of the case right at the top taper of the bullet).

Quickload says 4.0gr of Win231 should be just below the caution zone (15,000 PSI) and 694 FPS. I'd probably start with 3.8 and work up.

Anyone have any good info, advice, etc? Would it make more sense to just send these back (and have to eat the shipping) and get 230gr?

I haven't even thought of trying a bullet that heavy in 45ACP. Not sure if I ever will.

If a manufacturer of powder doesn't have data I wouldnt try it unless you have a private range and a real long string. However, the general rule of thumb is 10% lighter than the starting load.

Send them back or trade them for something useful. 230g seems to smash pins pretty well for many years now and I suspect that will continue.

Duke or EC etc. will be along shortly.

I probably wouldn't be guessing on what might be a safe load with any powder. You have two things working against you here. In order to chamber a longer bullet it will have be seated deeper reducing the powder space which will increase pressure. A heavier bullet will further increase pressure. How much? Who knows.

Look for .45 auto rim load data. You cab do it but should probably use a slower powder.
My Speer manual shows loads for heavy bullets in .45 auto rim.

The 2nd edition of the Lee manual has data for 250 and 260 gr. loads in .45acp. The 250 gr. data is for both lead and jacketed but all loads use Accurate powders. I didn't see anything with Winchester 231.

I used to use a *very* similar bullet for pins (was a 45colt mold, that I sized down for my .45acp). 5.9gr of W231 is what I ran (with a 24lb recoil spring). its a HEAVY load...work up in your own gun.

I used to use a *very* similar bullet for pins (was a 45colt mold, that I sized down for my .45acp). 5.9gr of W231 is what I ran (with a 24lb recoil spring). its a HEAVY load...work up in your own gun.

5.9gr of 231 with a 250 gr bullet is dangerous.

speer #14
45 auto rim
250 grain LSWC
herco 6.2-6.6
blue dot 8.6-9.0
unique 5.8-6.2
hs-6 7.4-7.8
sr4756 6.3-6.7

note: the industry maxim pressure for tyne .45 auto rim is 15,000 cup these loads are within the 45 auto pressure limit of 21,000 psi

tested in a model 25-2 6.5" length

also "the 45 auto rim received a lower pressure limit than the 45 auto to reduce gas cutting when firing primitive lead bullets"

everything i've read has said to go with a slower powder on the big bullets. i called hogdon and they had no data for a heavy bullet. every load book and pamphlet i could find had no info other than the speer.

speer lists a charge of 5.1 to 5.6 of 231 under a 230 LRN.

just some info i had on hand for some caparisons. hope it helps

5.9gr of 231 with a 250 gr bullet is dangerous.

Yes it is....which is why I said work up. I had a dedicated pin gun....full length guide rod....extra heavy recoil springs.....shock buffers......its a HEAVY load....but man does it clear a pin in a hurry.

Update:
I decided to send them back for an exchange for the 230 grain ones. They are doing an even swap, I'm just out $20 for shipping. I figured that would be easier than building up a load that will only have one use.. the 230gr rounds will require no new load (already have a one that I know works well) and can be used for everything. Thanks for the input on this, it is very much appreciated.

its amazing what a 1911 can handle with the right spring and a flat firing pin stop.

These mods help, but the real problem is the unsupported area of the case over the throated part of the barrel. I have seen pressure signs in this area using 5.0 of WW 231 with a 255 gr SWC lead bullet.

I'm not much of a pin shooter, but I have discussed loads with several of my pin shooting friends. They all preferred a softer load (say 5.0 of 231 vs 5.9) because it allowed them to recover more quickly and make a centered hit on the next pin. To a man, they all said you should use just enough power to get the pin off the table.

These mods help, but the real problem is the unsupported area of the case over the throated part of the barrel. I have seen pressure signs in this area using 5.0 of WW 231 with a 255 gr SWC lead bullet.

I'm not much of a pin shooter, but I have discussed loads with several of my pin shooting friends. They all preferred a softer load (say 5.0 of 231 vs 5.9) because it allowed them to recover more quickly and make a centered hit on the next pin. To a man, they all said you should use just enough power to get the pin off the table.

forgot to mention I ran a ramped barrel (no unsupported case). (fwiw, that load didn't snap up too bad, but MAN did it push straight back)

true, the ramped barrel is also a mod done to help out. i believe they do that on the .460 rowland conversions right?

Recently, I loaded up the Speer .452" 250gr LSWC into .45 ACP. I used 5.0 gr Bullseye and a COL of 1.190"
They shoot and function just fine in my Ruger P97.
As a last resort, you can measure your bullet against a known cast bullet and seat it to the same position in the case. If your overall length and chambering are okay, you'll probably be close to good to go, but it's still shoot at your own risk!

signed up to loaddata.com just for some .45 acp/ar heavy bullet loads

speer #11 listed a 260 grain gold dot with 5.4-5.9 grains of W231 at a 1.275 overall

that probably won't even function depending on the shape of the bullet. i load stuff like this for my 625

Back
Top Bottom