• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

25 Steel at MRA this Sunday

Just and FYI

There's a 25 falling steel plate match at Mass Rifle Association in Woburn this Sunday. Safety meeting at 12:30pm shooting at 1:00pm.

5$ per gun. 9mm and up - no magnums

Just and FYI
There's a 25 falling steel plate match at Mass Rifle Association in Woburn this Sunday. Safety meeting at 12:30pm shooting at 1:00pm.
5$ per gun. 9mm and up - no magnums

Can you please provide a bit more info on how you guys play this game? Is all 25 steel shot as one stage? Do you get more than one try at it? Do you draw from a holster? Is there a limit on the # of rounds in a mag? Are there different "classes" like Iron Sights, or Open, or Revo? How long do the matches normally run? Any more info you can provide would be appreciated.
Thanks,
-Cuz.

Can you please provide a bit more info on how you guys play this game? Sure
Is all 25 steel shot as one stage? Yes
Do you get more than one try at it? You shoot the same stage 3 times
Do you draw from a holster? No, you start at low ready
Is there a limit on the # of rounds in a mag? 10
Are there different "classes" like Iron Sights, or Open, or Revo? 4 classes stock revo and auto and open revo and auto
How long do the matches normally run? Around 2-3 hours depending on how many shooters

Thanks for the info. This looks like fun. You get to run the same stage 3 times! I could definitely get into that! It's like getting two "do overs" to either fix your mistakes, or screw up even worse than you thought possible!!! I don't think I've ever been to a shoot that started after noontime before. It may require special permission from the "boss". Especially since I'll be hitting the range in the morning as well.
Thanks again for the run down.
-Cuz.

Can you please provide a bit more info on how you guys play this game? Sure
Is all 25 steel shot as one stage? Yes
Do you get more than one try at it? You shoot the same stage 3 times
Do you draw from a holster? No, you start at low ready
Is there a limit on the # of rounds in a mag? 10
Are there different "classes" like Iron Sights, or Open, or Revo? 4 classes stock revo and auto and open revo and auto
How long do the matches normally run? Around 2-3 hours depending on how many shooters

Actually, You do shoot the Three stages, some times we will mix it up so the stage is not the same.

You can draw from a holster if you like and load off the belt, as long it is not a carry holster. It has to be a speed or race gun type. other wise off the table is the norm.

There are only 2 classes, open and stock, if you have a Revo with a dot you are in open with the autos same with iron sights.
And if you decide to shoot 2 guns ( which most of us do ) and they are the same ( open or stock ) you must pick which gun will be your $$$ gun before the match starts. If you decide to shoot both classes you are good to go in each class.

Hi - since I LOVE steel (NOT) - this sounds like a great chance to work on my skills (lack of)(sm)in preparation for soon to start USPSA. Is this indoors or out? I've never been to Mass Rifle. And whats the average distance of the steel?

Donna

Hi Donna,

This is indoors on the Loeb range. Distance is about 25 feet or so. Similar to what we have done in the past in Malden on Friday nights with Dave.

You should check it out I know you will have fun and it will most certainly help you get prepared for steel at USPSA.

The Mass Rifle website says:
No Complete Metal Jacket (Ball) Ammo Allowed at any event (rifle matches excluded).

Does that include Berry's copper coated Round Nose ammo? Or is it the traditional FMJ ammo such as Zero or Montana Gold bullets?

If Berry's round nose bullets are not allowed that will most likely eliminate me. I may have some Montana Gold JHPs somewhere, but I don't know if I'll have enough.
Please let me know.
Thanks,
Google says it's an hour and 20 minutes from Seekonk. That seems far.
-Cuz.

Actually, You do shoot the Three stages, some times we will mix it up so the stage is not the same.

You can draw from a holster if you like and load off the belt, as long it is not a carry holster. It has to be a speed or race gun type. other wise off the table is the norm.

There are only 2 classes, open and stock, if you have a Revo with a dot you are in open with the autos same with iron sights.
And if you decide to shoot 2 guns ( which most of us do ) and they are the same ( open or stock ) you must pick which gun will be your $$$ gun before the match starts. If you decide to shoot both classes you are good to go in each class.

Thanks HDGun,
I just want to clarify the classes. There are only two instead of four. That means the stock 6-shot revo's have to compete in the same class as the stock auto's? If that's the case I'll leave the Revo home and just shoot the Glock. Can I shoot the same stock auto in both the stock and open class?
It sounds like the norm is to shoot more than once, either with the same gun or with different guns.

Is that it?
Thanks,
Cuz

Thanks HDGun,
I just want to clarify the classes. There are only two instead of four. That means the stock 6-shot revo's have to compete in the same class as the stock auto's? If that's the case I'll leave the Revo home and just shoot the Glock. Can I shoot the same stock auto in both the stock and open class?
It sounds like the norm is to shoot more than once, either with the same gun or with different guns.

Is that it?
Thanks,
Cuz

Cuz,
We do not have seperate classes for the Revo's. Usually there is not enough of a showing with the Revo guys to warrant a seperate class. I will be shooting my 8 shot in Open, and my 6 shot in Stock just for the fun of it.
You can shoot your Glock in both Stock and Open if you would like.
Hope to see you there.

The Mass Rifle website says:
No Complete Metal Jacket (Ball) Ammo Allowed at any event (rifle matches excluded).

Does that include Berry's copper coated Round Nose ammo? Or is it the traditional FMJ ammo such as Zero or Montana Gold bullets?

If Berry's round nose bullets are not allowed that will most likely eliminate me. I may have some Montana Gold JHPs somewhere, but I don't know if I'll have enough.
Please let me know.
Thanks,
Google says it's an hour and 20 minutes from Seekonk. That seems far.

-Cuz.

Cuz,
The Berrys are fine, since they are copper plated. What we try to avoid is traditional military style Ball ammo. Most commercially available ammo has an exposed lead base which will allow the bullet to break up better upon impact with the steel. Hope this helps.

Cuz,
The Berrys are fine, since they are copper plated. What we try to avoid is traditional military style Ball ammo. Most commercially available ammo has an exposed lead base which will allow the bullet to break up better upon impact with the steel. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I am going to try and make it up there for the match. It sounds like a lot of fun. I think I'll just bring a few different guns up with me and decide what to shoot once I get there.

-Cuz.

Id like to shoot both an auto and a revolver, but I dont have any speed loaders for the revolver. Am I better off just leaving it at home?

Id like to shoot both an auto and a revolver, but I dont have any speed loaders for the revolver. Am I better off just leaving it at home?

You really need speed loaders - If you are using a 686 I could lend you 6 speed loaders.

E-mail me/PM if you'd like me to bring.
Paul

That was a pretty good turnout yesterday. About twice as many as we usually get for a steel match. It was good to see some new faces. Hope everyone had a good time. I did (except for my slide lock malfunctioning and locking the slide back prematurely). Thats why I always bring the round gun too- it always works! [smile]

Great turn out....and alot of fun. Thanks to everyone who came out to our humble match. Hope to see you all again.

Whitey627.......it was fun to shoot the wheel gun again. It always works.......now if only I had put powder in those rounds..... :)

I'm glad I found out about it. I had a great time. Something about shooting steel always gets me excited. I learned a few things too, gotta work on them next time at the range. I know if I could shoot with this group regularly I could step myself up a notch or two. Does anyone know if they will post the results? I'd like to see where I finished and compare my times to the big boys.
-Cuz.

Thanks all

Wow did I have a great time yesterday - I'm actually starting to like steel! Well, a little bit. Sort off. And talking about slides jamming - anybody ever see a bent (and I mean BENT) ejector on a Colt gov.9mm???? And that was after my fiber optic disintegrated and I shot the first stage without a visible front sight! Lucky for me Joe B. always carries extra so I got to finish.

On the way home, we all concurred that shooters are the best people in the world. No matter where I go to shoot, new place or old place, I always feel so welcomed. Can't say that's true every place else in the world. Thanks guys! [smile]

Donna

Wow did I have a great time yesterday... On the way home, we all concurred that shooters are the best people in the world. No matter where I go to shoot, new place or old place, I always feel so welcomed. Can't say that's true every place else in the world. Thanks guys! [smile]

Donna

Awesome!

Back
Top Bottom