• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

$25 for a pre-ban 20 round AR15 mag?

I went to one of the local gun stored today and saw they they had some 20 round pre-ban AR15 mags. I was going to get a few but decided against it when I realized that they were $25 a piece. There were also 20 round pre-ban Colt mags for $28.

Is it just me or does that seem like a lot of money considering that I've seen 30 round mags for around $15?

I went to one of the local gun stored today and saw they they had some 20 round pre-ban AR15 mags. I was going to get a few but decided against it when I realized that they were $25 a piece. There were also 20 round pre-ban Colt mags for $28.

Is it just me or does that seem like a lot of money considering that I've seen 30 round mags for around $15?

Yes, but have you seen 30 round mags for $15 from a store? I have seen a lot for sale for $15, but it has been years since I saw that kind of price from a store in MA.

Some people collect them, and some like to put together period-style rifles, and that means there is still a market for some pre-bans even in free states. It's not my thing, but I've seen people get excited about the older Colt 20 rounders if the floor plate says ".223" (as opposed to 5.56).

Just be very careful in evaluating ANY mags that claim to be pre-ban. Sometimes they can be wrong . . . and that can give you pause to think about it for 10 years or more. [thinking] [wink]

ETA: The above is a "general warning". There have been instances of distributors lying to dealers, as well as dealers who got duped, don't know or don't care.

Last edited:
I may have to take a trip out there then and look around if their prices are that much better than the rest.
I bought many pre ban mags for $20 each at Zero Hour, but that was pre and early Obama. These were cosmetically challenged but perfectly functional mags. About a year ago Jim had a case of prebans in near perfect shape selling for $30 each.

I'm there so much I'm considered part of the furnature. Unless Jim's had a shipment within the last 10 days there are no preban mags there. Everything I saw was LEO only. You should call and ask before you make a long drive.

$25? Maybe if it had been stripped down, recoated, new internals.

However, should a knee-jerk AWB go into the works, all bets are off.

1) Tombstone?

2) For some reason, 20s seem to be more expensive than 30s.

3) Gun shops in Central Ma are NOT the place to buy pre-ban AR magazines.

Just be very careful in evaluating ANY mags that claim to be pre-ban. Sometimes they can be wrong . . . and that can give you paust to think about it for 10 years or more. [thinking] [wink]

One way around that is to have them do up a sales slip which says something along the lines of:

"Pre-ban AR-15 Magazine, 20 round.......Quantity: 2"

or something like that, with the date of sale on it. That way, it shows that you purchased this with the intent that you were given the correct information. Other than that, I wouldn't sweat it. How many times has this actually happened, anyhow?

One way around that is to have them do up a sales slip which says something along the lines of:

or something like that, with the date of sale on it. That way, it shows that you purchased this with the intent that you were given the correct information.

And then photo-reduce it, paste it on each mag and lacquer over it, so you always have instant proof! [devil]

I paid around $20 bucks for the ones I have, not particularly pretty but they work just fine. The ones that kill me are the M14/M1A 20 rounders, the prices on those are nuts.

or something like that, with the date of sale on it. That way, it shows that you purchased this with the intent that you were given the correct information. Other than that, I wouldn't sweat it. How many times has this actually happened, anyhow?

I actually had someone request a receipt from me in a sale recently stating the mag I was selling was pre-ban. I obviously believe very firmly it was, but I was not willing to sign anything to that extent. Good luck getting a gun store to write up that receipt for you.

Possession is against the law. It does not matter who initially sold it to you or what your intent was.

I actually had someone request a receipt from me in a sale recently stating the mag I was selling was pre-ban. I obviously believe very firmly it was, but I was not willing to sign anything to that extent. Good luck getting a gun store to write up that receipt for you.

Possession is against the law. It does not matter who initially sold it to you or what your intent was.

What if there is no date,inside or outside?

if you look long and hard you can find preban mags on line. In quantity new in the wrapper. I found some just as obama took office and the price was good...There where a few sellers over on AR15.com that where actually only selling to states still with preban crap in place. I paid about 17.00ea shipped

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=24&t=833203

there where also a few NES members with some good deals on mags ?

Last edited:
I'm not a lawyer, but I would think the burden of proof falls on the prosecution.

And to my knowledge no one in MA has ever been charged with possession of an unmarked magazine.

I have never seen a date on a mag yet. Without that or a serial number it does make it harder to prove that a mag isn't pre-ban. Obvious exceptions are companies that started making mags after the ban was in place.

I have never seen a date on a mag yet. Without that or a serial number it does make it harder to prove that a mag isn't pre-ban. Obvious exceptions are companies that started making mags after the ban was in place.

Well Adam, you have now! [wink]

Very few of mine are date-coded but here are 3 Center Industries 30 rd AR mags coded 1991 & 1992.

AR Mag Date Coded-sm.jpg

way too expensive...

one store charges $39.99 per mag [thinking] funny because i saw the same exact mag go for $10 bucks at Riley's...

right here on NES people are selling them for $15 / per mag

i've gotten them even cheaper... like $10 / per mag

way too expensive...

one store charges $39.99 per mag [thinking] funny because i saw the same exact mag go for $10 bucks at Riley's...

right here on NES people are selling them for $15 / per mag

i've gotten them even cheaper... like $10 / per mag

I agree. The 3 I pictured above were bought from an ARfcom'r who had jumped on a ARfcom group buy of new mags. IIRC, I paid $150 for 15 pre-ban mags shipped to my door.

If anything ever came of it....perjury, at the very least.

I thought perjury was "lying under oath". What oath was taken? You can stamp "Pink Floyd" or "Make it in Massachusetts" on there if you want, no? Why not a bunch of numbers if you don't want to look at a big blank piece of metal?

Back
Top Bottom