• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

$25-a-gun sales tax approved in Chicago area

gene

NES Member
usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/09/15054382-25-a-gun-sales-tax-approved-in-chicago-area?lite

Yea, that will work in Shitcargo as well as the $10.00 a pack for butts[grin]

It'll work great as soon as they pass a law that you cant leave city limits, which I'm sure has entered some politicians head at one point.

Taxing things you don't want people to have doesn't really work.. for proof i'll offer up every NH border store selling cigs, beer or the NH state liquor stores.. every store, any day, go up and look at the parking lots.. always more mass plates then NH plates. **Always**

It'll work great as soon as they pass a law that you cant leave city limits, which I'm sure has entered some politicians head at one point.

Taxing things you don't want people to have doesn't really work.. for proof i'll offer up every NH border store selling cigs, beer or the NH state liquor stores.. every store, any day, go up and look at the parking lots.. always more mass plates then NH plates. **Always**

I totally agree, but that won't matter if it becomes a federal tax...

Since nearly all the guns that are actually involved with real crime are purchased illegally, I wonder how this tax will affect those sales? Anyone?

<crickets>

So... how many actual gun shops are in "Chicago" ? Why couldn't someone just drive an hour and buy one ?

(Yes i know, its a "captain obvious" question...)

Since nearly all the guns that are actually involved with real crime are purchased illegally, I wonder how this tax will affect those sales? Anyone?

<crickets>

Tack on the charge of "Tax Evasion"?

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't matter. The point is that they are doing something and it's for the children. If it doesn't reduce crime it's the fault of the surrounding communities for not taking a stand against gun-related violence!

<crickets>

Well that question is one that always eludes the moonbats when they propose stiffer gun laws. This tax is just another example to add to the list. Besides, even if a legal gun owner was hell bent on doing bad things with a gun (assuming he doesn't want to use one of the ones he already has [rolleyes]), does anyone really think that an extra $25 in cost is really going to make him change his mind?[laugh]

if someone does purchase a gun in the city, and pays the $25 additional tax. Isn't the city complicit it benefiting from the crime ?

Edit :

This is based on their argument that gun manufacturers are responsible for the inproper use of their product.

if someone does purchase a gun in the city, and pays the $25 additional tax. Isn't the city complicit it benefiting from the crime ?

No. If you let someone borrow your car and they run someone over and kill them...are you complicit to vehicular homicide?

So... how many actual gun shops are in "Chicago" ? Why couldn't someone just drive an hour and buy one ?

(Yes i know, its a "captain obvious" question...)

from the article:
"The $25 tax on every gun purchased in the county -- city law prohibits gun sales in Chicago -- is meant to offset health care and other costs of gun violence, Board President Toni Preckwinkle said.:

from the article:
"The $25 tax on every gun purchased in the county -- city law prohibits gun sales in Chicago -- is meant to offset health care and other costs of gun violence, Board President Toni Preckwinkle said.:

Must mean all the other problems in Chicago have been solved, if we're wasting our time with this. See also: Bloomberg's Soda Blockade

A punitive tax for the purpose of discouraging the exercise of a fundamental right seems unlikely to pass constitutional muster.

Back
Top Bottom