• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

24gr of Varget mmm Crunchy

First time using varget and I put 24 grains under a Hornady 68 gr. BTHP reloading 223 and it crunches a little. I am assuming this is ok because it fills most of the case but just double checking? Thanks.

never used it but the hodgdon data says the max load for varget is 26 gr. and it's a compressed load so i'd say yeah, starting at 24 gr. it probably is a little "crunchy." love that tech talk...crunchy. [laugh]

Just adding another confirmation. No problem.

Another example: IMR4320. For a 55gr you can literally dip the case and fill to the top, crunch bullet in there and you're still not going to pop a primer :)

I had a very long thread about this. I am running 77 grain HPBT Sierras and settled on 22.5 grains of Varget and have a slight "crunch". As someone suggested, I use an old Mach 3 battery razor because I have so many of the bodies to help vibrate the powder into place. Not to thread drift, I am only shooting 200 yards max and don't need the extra powder and only reason I went with the heavier bullets is because where I shoot is always windy and need as much mass as possible.

Once I run out of Varget, I'm most likely going to switch over to something that meters more consistently.

Last edited:
Varget is the best powder I've ever used. I would work the load and save what you have. Very hard to come by. Varget is good, reason is that's not temp sensitive. I loaded up Varget and BL-2(c) and went hunting in TX. Only Varget was consistent from morning to afternoon.

If you can find some CFE223, that would work great for the Sierras. Also, if you are just plinking and don't want to pay Sierra prices, Hornady VMAX 53 grain has a BC of 0.290.

I recommend 53 grain vs 55 grain as the BC is 0.290 vs .255

Varget is nice because a normal load is right up around the case neck (on a 55gr) and is nice and easy to see while you are in the groove loading up a batch.

Slightly compressed is fine. My first 4k Radway 5.56 had the same load of Varget. Very accurate out of my Sabre bull barreled upper.

The crunch is normal. Varget and those 68 BTHPs works great for me. I worked up to 25.0 which shoots about 0.5moa at 100 yards for me.

That's why I switched to Benchmark- it meters more consistently than Varget. Granted it has a Krieger barrel, but my mixmaster service rifle off the bench is shooting below .25 MOA with a 4.6 lb trigger.

A compressed load is a happy load, 99% of my loads are compressed loads, heck I compress them until they bottom out sorta like they equivalent to hydro locking, They are by far my best loads.

Dean

Thanks for the help. Expecting fine thing outa this boolit. Now I just need to buy me one of those chronee graphs thingys. [grin]

In two guns I have that love 69gr SMK, the 68gr Hornady bthp sucked. Hopefully you have better luck, but just sayin', if it doesn't work out, don't give up on that weight bullet.

Damn, nice! Primer is certainly pancaked on a hot load like that right?

Its actually not that hot of a load. You could push the bullet a lot faster with a little faster powder but I don't need to. The primers are not even flattened out at all. It's such a light bullet it doesn't build a lot of pressure.

It's deadly accurate out to 300yds, it's always 1/3 to 1/2 moa from 100-300yds. I haven't taken it out any further than that.

Its actually not that hot of a load. You could push the bullet a lot faster with a little faster powder but I don't need to. The primers are not even flattened out at all. It's such a light bullet it doesn't build a lot of pressure.

I concur

Dean

PS: 23gr to 26gr of H4198 will really get those 40gr screaming.

Now were talking, that is a 3600 fps load all day long.

Dean

Dean a little off topic but just got these in the mail today. I know you like wildcats. It was such a pain to load for before they started making brass

8d61343e5814a7e3649496d7c6d4ad6c.jpg

I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WoW I had heard about them, but had never actually seen any, someone was buying up all the production run.

Dean

Last edited:
I concur

Dean

PS: 23gr to 26gr of H4198 will really get those 40gr screaming.

So if I did that in a 1:7.7 twist barrel how far would the 40's make it out of the barrel before they go "poof"? LOL, now I want a slow twist AR barrel...

Just to pay homage to the original topic, I'll probably give Varget a shot in my 6.5 Creedmoor AR. I have the JP high pressure BCG, so I can run it a little hot and not have primers cratering.

It's a really cool round, it uses 61gn h1000 powder under a 140gn bullet and pushes it to 3100fps and still gets 3000rds out of a barrel

Let me know when you get it up and running and all sorted out, it will make a nice rig, 140,s at 3100 yes siree Bob.

I find it Funny most AR shooters there barrels are 7 and 8 twist, yet they mostly shoot 55gr out of them, there is such a thing as over stabilization.

Dean

So if I did that in a 1:7.7 twist barrel how far would the 40's make it out of the barrel before they go "poof"? LOL, now I want a slow twist AR barrel...

Just to pay homage to the original topic, I'll probably give Varget a shot in my 6.5 Creedmoor AR. I have the JP high pressure BCG, so I can run it a little hot and not have primers cratering.

I get better precision than anything in my .260 with varget (6.5mm round as well), it's just kind of slow, runs around 2600ish, where as I want 27-2800.

I get better precision than anything in my .260 with varget (6.5mm round as well), it's just kind of slow, runs around 2600ish, where as I want 27-2800.

Have you tried h4350? I get 2725 out of a 19" barrel with 43.5gns

Have you tried h4350? I get 2725 out of a 19" barrel with 43.5gns

Any load that uses H4350, Reloader 17 will do 100 to 200 Fps faster, 100fps if you use the same load as they H4350 and up to 200fps, since you can load more powder before seeing signs of pressure.

Dean

Any load that uses H4350, Reloader 17 will do 100 to 200 Fps faster, 100fps if you use the same load as they H4350 and up to 200fps, since you can load more powder before seeing signs of pressure.

Dean

I agree with you on the fps increase but the temp sensitivity sucks and it won't hold tight groups in everyone's gun. That's not just my experience, if you google 6.5 or .260 and RL17, its pretty much the consensus. There's a reason the preferred powder is, overwhelmingly, h4350 amongst prs pros.

With that said, it's worth your time to grab a pound to test in your gun because some people do love it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom