Hunter's Trading Post, Weymouth, MA

Located behind Weymouth Honda. I've been to this store twice. The first time was when I was investigating getting my LTC about 8 years ago. The person behind the counter was unfriendly and actively hostile when she found out I didn't have my LTC. I was so off-put that I didn't even bother following up with any questions about their advertised Basic Safety Course.

I stopped in yesterday on my way to visit some friends and had a completely different experience. There was a group of obvious regulars seated in the corner talking amongst themselves and the gentlman behind the counter, who offered a smile and a welcome when I walked in the door and was helpful with all my questions. I asked if he knew any good clubs up in my neck of the woods (North of Boston) and he recommended Woburn Sportmen's Association and brought some of the regulars into the discussion to talk about other choices.

Prices on used handguns seemed reasonable (from memory - may not be perfect: $550 for a refurbed Glock 23, $625 for a used Sig 226). Other prices seemed a bit high ($37.50 for a 13 round Glock 23 magazine - $25 on Glockmeister.com). This shop seems geared more towards the hunting enthusiast as they had a much larger selection of rifles and shotguns than handguns (hence the name, one would assume). Perhaps someone on the South Shore with more experience pricing rifles/shotguns/hunting supplies could check the place out and give a more detailed review?

It was probably Don Hunt who waited on you. He's the owner and a nice guy (Member of Braintree R&P). So, I have no idea if the shop name is a play on his name or focused on hunters.

The Glock prices seem high to me vs. Four Seasons, but I'm not a Glock person so I could be wrong (just trying to recall the prices when Four Seasons' sends out their sale Emails).

I stopped by his old location a few times, but only been to the new location once. Need my GPS to find the place (feels hidden away to me). I've only bought a few accessories from him, so I don't have any strong opinions one way or the other about his shop, pricing, etc.

The Glock 23 refurb price was right in line with Four Seasons (at least what I paid for mine and what's listed on their site). He only had the one in stock, unlike the nice selection of various Glocks at FS. It's definitely hidden away, though. I grew up on the South Shore so I know the area (and I owned a Honda Nighthawk that got brought over to Weymouth Honda once or twice), but if you were looking for the place from the main road, you'd never find it. It's hidden on a small side road behind everything with no visibility onto the main road. GPS would definitely be a good idea :)

I gotta say, the way the guy greeted me and treated me in the store did a whole lot to wipe away the bad memories I had from my previous experience. Of course, if it was the owner then he definitely understands the need to make customers welcome (which sometimes fails to translate to the help).

Hunters Trading Post Weymouth

Anyone else have a Hard time with them I know I have 2 different times.

I know service is BAD BAD BAD and price high anyone get the same???

I didn't like dealing with the owner he seems rude and very unhelpful at times. I have called looking for a price and he tells you that you have to come into the store for a price.

Four season you call they give you the price if they don't have it they look it up and about 2min you know how much in my eyes that service.

I had 2 dealing with Don and I think he needs to change his ways and how he does things, really I don't know how he keeps the doors open I know anyone I talk to says don't go to hunters I had to learn the hard way. His son is better and if he takes over the shop I think it will run much better.

There price are high in my eyes and alot of what they have is some old junk that has been there for a long time its stuff no one wants, when I got a pistol there I told them what Four season was selling it for and they said well we can't match there price gee could that be that FS gets people to come into there shop and hunters don't so they don't sell as much to get better deals??

Over all just a poor shop, rude owner and unhelpful.

No offense to anyone here, but based on my limited experience I think a lot of guys who work in gun shops are lacking in socialization skills. This applies not only to owners but to the other guys who work there.

Closest shop to me but....
Sorta high prices, variety in their inventory is lacking, bad behind-the -counter skills, poor advice regarding CCW
with an LTC B(not that I'd take the advice from anyone who isn't a lawyer anyways, but others may). And finally,
sold a new "For Law Enforcement Only" marked hicap mag for an SW99 to my cousin and said it was OK because
they had a "special deal" with the manufacturer. Thanks anyways, I'll drive the 30-45 minutes to 4 Seasons or AG Guns.

I was there the other day and to tell the truth I got the same impression as you. The salesman said and I quote'' I know nothing about guns I just sell them'' This was in reply about a beaten up model 28 4 inch they had for $400 I asked if it came with the box. He couldn't look and see if it came with a box!!!

I walked out and doubt if I would ever go back.

Yea I ran into that guy to younger guy??? I don't know what the owner Don is thinking guy is running the shop into the ground he needs to pull his head out his butt and start treating people better when they come in there.

And get people working in there that know what they are doing and talking about.

I'm just down the street from them and unless it's something small like a brick of .22's, I'll go all the way to N. Attleboro to get stuff. The've blown a lot of sales with me on account of priceing and not wanting to give a break equal with the other gun shops in the area, and the crap that they give out whenever I ask them something.

I only go to Four Seasons or Northeast. So it was a shock for me to be treated like that. Some thing is wrong when they treat you like they are doing you a favor by talking to you. I drove all the way to Northeast Saturday to get Shotgun shells so I could shoot some clays at Braintree.

Now you know when you drive 50 miles out of your way to go some where else there has to be a strong reason for it.

While I was at Northeast Ted took out a new Para 1911 and a new S&W 1911 for me to compare them. WOW NICE !!!!! I started to go for my wallet and stopped when I realized I all ready bought the S&W in March haha.

You have a good point. The only reason I didn't was the two are almost miror twins. The only difference that is obvious is the Para has a internal extractor. Also I like the S&W trigger pull better.

They're the most convenient shop to the Braintree Range, but, I have had good and bad experiences with them.

One of the guys, not the owner, a bit younger than the others, was great about helping me find a holster to fit one of my smaller guns. My husband had been in there two weeks earlier looking for a holster for me and no one would lift a finger to help him.

My father-in-law has done pretty well there. But, he's abrasive and (obviously) older than I am, so, they get along with him.

The older guy, the one who does the lessons was a real jacka$$ to me one day. I don't like going in there if he's there. Too opinionated about things he doesn't understand.

They had a couple of snubby S&W 38 revolvers I was interested in, but, we'll see...

The older guy, the one who does the lessons was a real jacka$$ to me one day. I don't like going in there if he's there. Too opinionated about things he doesn't understand.

Sounds a lot like Don Hunt!

Could be. I've been in there when he's been pretty nice, but, there was one day he went down the wrong path with me. Blasting the guy I took my safety class with (because I didn't take it from him) belittling me because I was young and a woman. Acting like he knew everything about what I was talking about, when in fact he knew nothing and was only making himself look worse the more he talked. I just don't take kindly to people trying to put me down to make themselves look better. Who knows, could've been a bad day for him.

gail-s said:
Could be. I've been in there when he's been pretty nice, but, there was one day he went down the wrong path with me. Blasting the guy I took my safety class with (because I didn't take it from him) belittling me because I was young and a woman. Acting like he knew everything about what I was talking about, when in fact he knew nothing and was only making himself look worse the more he talked. I just don't take kindly to people trying to put me down to make themselves look better. Who knows, could've been a bad day for him.

Definitely not good for business. I've known a few folks like that, won't do business with them either, as a buyer, OR a seller.

Yea anytime I have been in there his son works in there and for the most part a nice guy. But his dad who owns and runs the place (into the Ground) is a total rude and unhelpful as can be.

Till you pull out your card or money then he wants to help you. OH and if your a woman good luck I have heard him say he will not deal with a woman less she has a man with her.

He is not stupid he don't say that to women or they would own his shop but he will not help them and says that he has the right not to sell to anyone, which is true but the real reason is he don't like women without there man with them which I find to funny. But you can see why his shop hardly makes money.

Four Season does make money and if you ever want to trade in for something he will try and stick it to you on a trade in but with as little money as they make there thats why, just look at the old junk they have in there, been there as long as he has lol.

Most of the pistol are used and not in the best shape or the stuff that is new has been there and he never wants to mark it down to move it.

?

Do they have a website?

I live in Quincy and shoot out of Braintree. Places I've found to buy ammo are few and far between, I usually end up in N. Attleboro, FS, or Danvers. Does anyone know if the 'posts ammo prices are competative? I buy 9mm and .22 right now.

Thanks!!

It's worth a stop in.

If you shoot in Braintree it's not hard to find. Instead of getting off at exit 17 (the Hilltop) go just a little bit futher. I'm not sure of the exit number ( since there are 2 for route 18 ). Get off at the route 18 NORTH. He's up about 1/4 mile on the left. It's in the Weymouth Honda parking lot (Motorcycle side, not the car side). If you past Weymouth Honda you went too far.

It's worth going in there to pick up ammo. The prices are about the same as everywhere else. Ask him about the reloads. About $2/box less. You have to bring the brass cases back!

Gun prices are high. I pick up odds and ends there: Ammo, targets, cleaning supplies, ear muffs, etc.

Just came back. I'll say that I was impressed with the selection of guns and carry ammo, however, their cheaper practice ammo selection could have been better. Prices for ammo were comparable, guns were a bit expensive, but not too much.

The staff was friendly and helpful. After one trip I know that I'll be a regular. There's not too many places around here to shop for shooting supplies, I'm glad to find one so close that is competant. I was looking for particualr .22 ammo that my marlin likes, but they didn't have it. The guy at the counter (probably owner) said he'd order a case for the shop so I should come back soon to purchase. I definately will!!

Hunter's

I've had mixed dealings with Hunter's. The woman you speak of must be that dour, sour, frumpy, black haired fun sponge that waited on me a few years back. i didn't like her attitude so i left without buying anything. Next time back, I dealt with Don and found him to be pleasant. I stop in from time to time when im in the area.

hunters is terrible

I would not recommend them to anyone. I was treated like dirt when i walked thru the door...figured i would give a second chance,
I gave them a ruger mark2 to put a scope mount on it, wow did they ever screw it up. I brought it home after i picked it up and luckily went thru it. If i hadn't i would have blown myself up at the range. The screws for the mount went straight thru into the spring inside and was destroying my spring underneath in the gun..... never again.

This store just got broken into, seeing the lack of customers I think the owner had someone do the break in for money!!

The only thing they took was 1 shot gun and 5 boxes of ammo for it and 3-4 handguns and no ammo little strange don't you think???

henchmen77 said:
This store just got broken into, seeing the lack of customers I think the owner had someone do the break in for money!!

The only thing they took was 1 shot gun and 5 boxes of ammo for it and 3-4 handguns and no ammo little strange don't you think???

I think you don't need to make assumptions without proof. Certainly not on this forum. If you have any questions as to my meaning, address them privately to me.

2 times I'm out

YogSothoth said:
Perhaps someone on the South Shore with more experience pricing rifles/shotguns/hunting supplies could check the place out and give a more detailed review?

They are right down the street from me (five minutes max), and I have been in there twice.

1st time, was at their old location, don't even remember what I was after, just know they were incredably unpleasant.

2nd time, (had hoped I caught them on a "bad" day the first time). This time (new location) I was looking for a transfer dealer to bring in a gun. They told me what I was asking was illegal and no one would do that for me (which we all know is untrue). I wasn't going to argue, drove off to my ussual FFL and he did it just fine...

I have not been back since....I guess its 2 strikes your out for me...

I went in to Hunter's Trading Post today just to look around. I got my LTC a few weeks ago and just wanted to make my way in to a firearms store. Weather blew and it was Saturday so the hour drive to Four Seasons was out. I stopped in because it is the closest store to me and NEEDED to get to a shop with the new license (much like getting in to a strip club after I turned 21, didnt care how ugly the girls were. at least I was there)

I wasn't greeted when I walked in, although it was a bit busy. I started walking around and looking at different display cases. The prices seemed both sides of the fence from the very little I know of pricing. Comparing what I have seen online some seemed really high , some seemed a bit on the low side and quite a few down the middle.

One of the sales staff, I think it was the ower's son although I am not sure, saw me looking at the revolvers and offered to show me some guns. He was really helpful and even when he had to check something else out for a consignment customer, he made sure another member of the staff was right there with me. I literally spent 20 minutes with the two different revolvers; handling them, getting a feel of the weight and a good chunk of time just looking at them. He never got impatient or antsy. I finally made my choice, Ruger Speed Six, and started the paperwork. I picked out a cheap holster and they threw in the lock, plastic single pistol case and 50 rounds of .38 for free. I am not sure if that is the norm, but I was pleased. All in all I paid $270 for the gun (which is in better shape than most I have seen for the same price) holster, tax and the freebies. I was very pleased with the experience.

One thing I did notice was that most of the complaints that were staff related seemed to be about the owner. He was not in today so I am not sure if that is part of the reason I had a 'better' experience than most.

Last edited:
Hunters Trading post,

DevilMan it sounds like you are new to this?? (Just got your LTC Etc:) but
if you are not than you already Know NOT TO STORE your new pistol or
any pistol in that Freebie plastic single gun case if it has foam-rubber inside
but if it is one of the RUGER BOX,s that comes with the gun from the factory
with no foam inside, just hard plastic, thats ok!! just a thought its just that
i saw a new to the sport young shooter at my range that left his once fired
new handgun that he had bought last fall, shot once, and left all winter in one of those type box,s open it up and CRY, cause it was RUSTED-BAD!!!
so if you are aware of this good i was only trying to inform
congret,s on the new L.T.C.
Take Care Sheriff Dudley s.a.s.s. 17925

Back
Top Bottom