• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone Work Comms for Boston Marathon?

Interesting. I've just emailed contact at hamradioboston. If I get a response from the coordinator, I'll let them know that I may not be the only one missing some of the communication emails.
Without giving away too much information on a public forum, do you get your emails from "Brett" or someone else? Since I'm on the course and you're in Transportation I'm wondering if we have different people feeding us information.

Without giving away too much information on a public forum, do you get your emails from "Brett" or someone else? Since I'm on the course and you're in Transportation I'm wondering if we have different people feeding us information.

So far, I've received emails from both the baa.org and hamradioboston. But, then stopped receiving anything. The emails received that specifically address transportation are signed by Brett but they were sent using an email relay server (rsgsv.net / Mailchimp) with any "reply to" address being the generic "contact" user directed to hamradioboston.org.

From my experience, bulk email relay servers tend to get added to the public/local IP blacklists regularly when bad actors start using them to send junk mail (since they originate from the same IP addresses as legitimate emails). So, I'm thinking, that at some point my side started filtering the Mailchimp sender addresses. Though, there may be other individuals that also receive emails on servers using the similar blacklists experiencing the same problem. I need to dig into my logs but it takes some time. Will try to do this today.

Could just be me but it would be interesting to get additional anecdotal evidence if others are experiencing similar problems. Sounds as though there may be at least one other.

As for the Revolution tickets, they said "Sometime early April". I will see if I can find out tomorrow night at our meeting.

As for the Transportation, that is being run by Harrison.

I HIGHLY recommend you go to www.HamRadioBoston.org and review the documentation as most questions can be answered in those. IF you have other questions post them in their respective segment sections of the forums on that site so that the coordinator will see them and get you an answer.

You definitely should have gotten at least one, if not multiple emails from your coordinator by now.

vicorjh, without having your actual name or callsign I cannot look up your assignment information. Feel free to PM me and I will see what I can answer but I am at START so my transportation knowledge may be limited.

Thanks Ghettomedic, cockpitbob has me straightened out with the documentation and the assignment.

Also, I did receive a response from Brett this morning and they are looking into this. Evil Dragon, if you'd like, PM me your email address and call sign and I can forward this information to the coordinator as well (or, send your details to the contact email listed on hamradioboston.org).

You should have all received an email from BAA this morning with the details of getting those Revolution tickets. If those of you with email issues did not get it, PM me for the link and code.

One year at the last minute I got switched from a hydration station to a first aid station. I had to go back to the documents and stuff a whole different set of procedures in my head[laugh]

Yes, there have been more drop outs on course than expected and a few people will be moved around. One possible option is moving people from transport to course.

Last night I got requested to move from H04 to H13. Less driving and I get to sleep in another 30 minutes[grin].

Hey ghettomedic, any idea why the Course Station List is still "To Be Released"? I'm going to be in the area tomorrow and want to check the radios on the actual repeaters.

Last night I got requested to move from H04 to H13. Less driving and I get to sleep in another 30 minutes[grin].

Hey ghettomedic, any idea why the Course Station List is still "To Be Released"? I'm going to be in the area tomorrow and want to check the radios on the actual repeaters.

No idea why it has not been posted, it was supposed to have been released a long time ago. Your primary channel will be C3 with C4 as the backup.

No idea why it has not been posted, it was supposed to have been released a long time ago. Your primary channel will be C3 with C4 as the backup.
So, same as on last year's Course Station list. Thanks!

I just checked. Right now it's 4:00 on Saturday, so about 40hrs till the Marathon starts, and that list still isn't posted[rolleyes]

BAA 5K

I worked the BAA 5K today. It starts and ends at Boston Common. I was in the one First Aid tent at the Start/Finish line. It was the easiest duty I've ever had. Other than radio checks the only time I transmitted was as we were closing things down Net Control asked how busy it was in the med. tent. My answer was that other than band aids and ice we had hardly any customers.

10,000 people show up for this little 5K. The Elite runners ran the course in under 14 minutes, but it took probably an hour to get the 4 waves out and running[laugh].

Everyone hangs out on Boston Common waiting for their wave to be told to get in the starting corral. Somewhere out there is minininjer and 3 of her relatives. I looked for her. I spotted a surprising number of little kids, but never saw mini[rofl]
IMG_20170415_102135727_zpskmurhfio.jpg

Here's the first wave; about 2,500 runners lined up, waiting to be released.
IMG_20170415_092437796_zpsxhpnvem4.jpg

Last edited:
Tonight I emailed with Jim P. about the Course Station List not being posted. He said it will be emailed shortly. If you have last year's, he said there's almost no changes.

I worked the BAA 5K today. It starts and ends at Boston Common. I was in the one First Aid tent at the Start/Finish line. It was the easiest duty I've ever had. Other than radio checks the only time I transmitted was as we were closing things down Net Control asked how busy it was in the med. tent. My answer was that other than band aids and ice we had hardly any customers.

10,000 people show up for this little 5K. The Elite runners ran the course in under 14 minutes, but it took probably an hour to get the 4 waves out and running[laugh].

Sounds like more fun than my day being cramped in a hot trailer setting up radios, computers & TVs

My alarm is set for 3:45am.[sad]

The bad part is after the 6:00am briefing in Wellesley, I drive to the hydration station in...Wellesley and the first wheel chairs won't go by until almost 10:00am. I'm bringing a chair, tablet and other stuff to read.[laugh]

Back
Top Bottom