Pistol transport thru NY

Hmm... How's the CT non-res process?

I haven't done it yet, but it isn't bad. You request a packet from CT. It details everything you need to send them. You send them the completed application, fee, pictures, fingerprints, and training certificate, they send you the permit.

Really? Interesting...

In any case, Glock doesn't make shotguns. Are 15-round mags ok to pass through NY with?
I don't know how retard ct is in not following Fopa, have not heard anything bad though. I think len stated you can Fopa what you own legally in your start and finish state, but that does not mean ct or NY or nj might not try to make your life suck.
nobody really needs 15 round magazines anyway.

Last edited:
Really? Interesting...

In any case, Glock doesn't make shotguns. Are 15-round mags ok to pass through NY with?

If an NY police officer wants to make your life difficult, they can charge you for your 15 round magazines. FOPA will get you off the hook once you have your day in court, but it could very possibly end up in court. That's why I try to avoid NJ and NY as much as possible. They actually arrest and charge people for simple possession.

If an NY police officer wants to make your life difficult, they can charge you for your 15 round magazines. FOPA will get you off the hook once you have your day in court, but it could very possibly end up in court. That's why I try to avoid NJ and NY as much as possible. They actually arrest and charge people for simple possession.
If I'm transporting a firearm through NY, would an "evil" mag cause any additional problems though? I don't doubt that NY can bend me over but I don't think they would let the gun slide but suddenly care about a mag.

If I'm transporting a firearm through NY, would an "evil" mag cause any additional problems though? I don't doubt that NY can bend me over but I don't think they would let the gun slide but suddenly care about a mag.

Depends on the gun right? If you are taking a Mossberg MVP through, the gun is fine, but preban AR mags would be a problem.

Title does say pistol though, so I guess as a non-resident you are in trouble any way it cuts.

It would be a G19. The trip is to Detroit so I'd really prefer not to go unarmed.

Lock your shit up, (locked cases for gun ammo/mags separate) put everything out of sight, and pretty much drive straight through.

FOPA doesn't explicitly cover magazines or ammunition but I've never heard of a case where someone was otherwise compliant with fopa but got hooked up for it. If you're really paranoid bring 10s with you.

-Mike

Lock your shit up, (locked cases for gun ammo/mags separate) put everything out of sight, and pretty much drive straight through.

FOPA doesn't explicitly cover magazines or ammunition but I've never heard of a case where someone was otherwise compliant with fopa but got hooked up for it. If you're really paranoid bring 10s with you.

-Mike

Or find a NRA sanctioned competition west of NY, and use the only exemption in the NY Penal Code:

NY Penal Code said:
Possession of pistols and revolvers by a person who is a nonresident of this state while attending or traveling to or from, an organized competitive pistol match or league competition under auspices of, or approved by, the National Rifle Association and in which he is a competitor, within forty-eight hours of such event or by a person who is a non-resident of the state while attending or traveling to or from an organized match sanctioned by the International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Association and in which he is a competitor, within forty-eight hours of such event, provided that he has not been previously convicted of a felony or a crime which, if committed in New York, would constitute a felony, and further provided that the pistols or revolvers are transported unloaded in a locked opaque container together with a copy of the match program, match schedule or match registration card.  Such documentation shall constitute prima facie evidence of exemption, providing that such person also has in his possession a pistol license or firearms registration card issued in accordance with the laws of his place of residence.  For purposes of this subdivision, a person licensed in a jurisdiction which does not authorize such license by a person who has been previously convicted of a felony shall be presumed to have no prior conviction.  The superintendent of state police shall annually review the laws of jurisdictions within the United States and Canada with respect to the applicable requirements for licensing or registration of firearms and shall publish a list of those jurisdictions which prohibit possession of a firearm by a person previously convicted of a felony or crimes which if committed in New York state would constitute a felony. - See more at: http://codes.findlaw.com/ny/penal-law/pen-sect-265-20.html#sthash.vJJ8G3iB.dpuf

Headed to PSA in Pennsylvania and want to make sure on proper transport thru NY. Also need to clarify I will be driving a pickup with a lockable bed. My thought was to use 2 ammo cans with locks, 1 with guns and 1 with ammo locked down in the back. If stopped do I have to declare or only when asked? Also can I transport unloaded Hi Caps thru NY?
Just want to make sure I don't become a resident of NY for an extended period of time

Thanks
Dave
Find another route. If NY authorities decide to ignore FOPA, you get to fight your way out of jail through the legal system only to end up a felon and therefore unable to own firearms anywhere.

Find another route. If NY authorities decide to ignore FOPA, you get to fight your way out of jail through the legal system only to end up a felon and therefore unable to own firearms anywhere.

There is no such "other route" . It's impossible to get to PA without transiting a commie state. The safest route is usually via Matamoras PA because you get rural-ish NY and avoid most of the urban shit and NJ.

No reason to be alarmist, considering tons of people here make that trip every year without issue. Lock your shit up, don't be retarded, and drive through. Done. It's that simple.

-Mike

Last edited:
There's just one problem with this plan: geography. [wink]

Safest is 84.
There is no such "other route" . It's impossible to get to PA without transiting a commie state. The safest route is usually via Matamoras PA because you get rural-ish NY and avoid most of the urban shit and NJ.

No reason to be alarmist, considering tons of people here make that trip every year without issue. Lock your shit up, don't be retarded, and drive through. Done. It's that simple.

-Mike

Yeah it's a question of 84 through CT, 90 to 87, or 90 to Taconic. In any case I want to end up in Port Jervis / Matamoras.

i think you should have a dash cam and body cam rolling for this trip, what kind of business do you need to take care of in Deadtroit?

I drive i90 to buffalo three times a month for work. Set your cruise on 73 and you will NEVER have a problem. I've been pulled over a few times but I was blatantly speeding. You get your ticket and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd bring 10 rounders, then buy big caps in MI, if they're allowed, then ship them home to avoid possible, yet highly unlikely, trouble in NY.

Although FOPA supercedes any state or local restriction for transport of firearms, it is an affirmative defense and the burden of proof is on you to prove that you were not in violation of the law. NY and NJ troopers frequently disregard the law and will charge you with possession of an unauthorized firearm or some such nonsense, even if you are on an uninterrupted trip through their state, your firearm is unloaded, in a locked case, and is inaccessible to the driver and all passengers. My wife and I travelled through upper NY state this last year on our way back to Ohio. I had a bolt action .300 Blackout rifle, a Five-seven, two suppressors, a Ruger 10/45, and my Colt M4. I was pulled over by a NY State Trooper while driving the back roads of NY and literally within sight of PA (about 500 yards). He insisted that we get out and that he be permitted to inspect the bed of my truck. Everything was locked in cases inside my truck bed, which also had a locking bed lid. He proceeded to interrogate my wife and demanded to know why we had illegal weapons. She informed him that everything was legal in Ohio and every state that we stopped in. I provided him with a copy of our NFA trust, a letter from BATFE to our congressman that clarified the situation that NFA related items are equally protected under NFA and also provided him with a copy of the Don Young letter re: FOPA. Nevertheless, this involved over an hour and a half delay and unnecessary hassle. Were it not for the fact that I had all my paperwork in order (copy of the trust, copy of cancelled tax stamps, copy of FOPA, copy of Ohio Revised Code, Don Young letter, BATFE letter) and kept my receipts to show that I had an uninterrupted journey, I would have gone to NYS Pound You In the Ass Prison.

Avoid NY, NJ, and all other draconian states at all costs.

I have a copy of the letters available to anyone who sends me a private message.

Uncle Duke

Although FOPA supercedes any state or local restriction for transport of firearms, it is an affirmative defense and the burden of proof is on you to prove that you were not in violation of the law. NY and NJ troopers frequently disregard the law and will charge you with possession of an unauthorized firearm or some such nonsense, even if you are on an uninterrupted trip through their state, your firearm is unloaded, in a locked case, and is inaccessible to the driver and all passengers. My wife and I travelled through upper NY state this last year on our way back to Ohio. I had a bolt action .300 Blackout rifle, a Five-seven, two suppressors, a Ruger 10/45, and my Colt M4. I was pulled over by a NY State Trooper while driving the back roads of NY and literally within sight of PA (about 500 yards). He insisted that we get out and that he be permitted to inspect the bed of my truck. Everything was locked in cases inside my truck bed, which also had a locking bed lid. He proceeded to interrogate my wife and demanded to know why we had illegal weapons. She informed him that everything was legal in Ohio and every state that we stopped in. I provided him with a copy of our NFA trust, a letter from BATFE to our congressman that clarified the situation that NFA related items are equally protected under NFA and also provided him with a copy of the Don Young letter re: FOPA. Nevertheless, this involved over an hour and a half delay and unnecessary hassle. Were it not for the fact that I had all my paperwork in order (copy of the trust, copy of cancelled tax stamps, copy of FOPA, copy of Ohio Revised Code, Don Young letter, BATFE letter) and kept my receipts to show that I had an uninterrupted journey, I would have gone to NYS Pound You In the Ass Prison.

Avoid NY, NJ, and all other draconian states at all costs.

I have a copy of the letters available to anyone who sends me a private message.

Uncle Duke

So why did he pull you over to begin with? Just at random?

-Mike

I haven't done it yet, but it isn't bad. You request a packet from CT. It details everything you need to send them. You send them the completed application, fee, pictures, fingerprints, and training certificate, they send you the permit.

This biggest "catch" is you need to provide proof of a training class with live fire.

He insisted that we get out and that he be permitted to inspect the bed of my truck.
Did you grant consent, and if not, did you make it totally clear that this was not a consent search?

The trooper ordered us out of the truck and asked us to stand over by his vehicle. He proceeded to ask if I had anything in my vehicle which might hurt him. My wife suggested that I should be up front about what we had in the truck, however I asked the trooper if he had a specific reason that he was pulling me over. He refused to say why and told me to open the bed of the truck. He could see that I had targets and target stands and a range bag and proceeded to tell me to open up the locked cases. He advised me that I was in violation of NY firearms laws because I didn't have a license for any of the guns and had weapons that were clearly prohibited for ownership by NY residents. I held my temper and calmly explained that I was fully within my rights granted by FOPA and had full legal right to possess any and all firearms in my vehicle. After a lengthy hassle and after two other troopers called in for back-up, we were let go to continue our journey to PA without any explanation for the stop.

Uncle Duke

Back
Top Bottom