• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hints for Gunshop Owners

MAP. Manufacturers Advertised Price.
Glock says OK, you can sell our products, but you cannot undercut other dealers. We want all of our dealers to make good money off of our products. We also want our products to maintain its value. You cannot advertise to sell a G19 for less that 600. If we catch you, you will not be able to sell our products anymore. We will blacklist you.

It's not that you can't sell it for less that 600. You just can't tell the public that price.
thats fine, at least they list prices.

I will offer a voice of dissent to those talking of "overpriced" lowers.

There is a strong element of risk to any dealer selling lowers in MA today, despite the well reasoned arguments that it is perfectly legal.
  1. Being legal is not protection against legal fees required to fight the AG if she brings charges.
  2. There is a very real chance a MA court would apply the "cuz guns" doctrine, ignore the law, and apply it's own "quack like a duck" principle. Now you're talking closing your business and possibly picking up PP status if your attorney cannot cut a good deal.
  3. You may talk tough about being 100% legal and not knuckling under, but those thoughts shift once you pay a bundle to have an attorney explain that despite the merits of your case, you could lose.
  4. Plus it will drag on for a couple of years, during which time you will enjoy PP status because of the unresolved charges.
I consider $150 or so on top of the free state price for a lower to be a fair compensation to a FFL+state licensed dealer willing to take the risk of selling lowers as "non-guns" under MGL. The reaction to a dealer willing to take the risk for a reasonable should be thank you, not excoriation.

If you disagree, would you be willing to give a dealer selling you a lower for $65 an indemnification contract agreeing to pay all of his/her legal fees if the state contests the sale as being a violation of MGL? Probably not, but you will argue the risk does not exist.

Last edited:
I will offer a voice of dissent to those talking of "overpriced" lowers.

There is a strong element of risk to any dealer selling lowers in MA today, despite the well reasoned arguments that it is perfectly legal.
  1. Being legal is not protection against legal fees required to fight the AG if she brings charges.
  2. There is a very real chance a MA court would apply the "cuz guns" doctrine, ignore the law, and apply it's own "quack like a duck" principle. Now you're talking closing your business and possibly picking up PP status if your attorney cannot cut a good deal.
  3. You may talk tough about being 100% legal and not knuckling under, but those thoughts shift once you pay a bundle to have an attorney explain that despite the merits of your case, you could lose.
  4. Plus it will drag on for a couple of years, during which time you will enjoy PP status because of the unresolved charges.
I consider $150 or so on top of the free state price for a lower to be a fair compensation to a FFL+state licensed dealer willing to take the risk of selling lowers as "non-guns" under MGL. The reaction to a dealer willing to take the risk for a reasonable should be thanked, not excoriated.

If you disagree, would you be willing to give a dealer selling you a lower for $65 an indemnification contract agreeing to pay all of his/her legal fees if the state contests the sale as being a violation of MGL. Probably not, but you will argue the risk does not exist.
200 (5).gif
Preach!

Resurrecting a somewhat aged thread...
Personal pet peeve and a virtual automatic characterization of the LGS and it's employees being ego-centric a-holes is the that all to familiar attitude that when someone walks in the door (a potential customer) - that they treat this potential customer as an uneducated moron. We've all felt it - it is an air of superiority. Boy oh boy does that get under my skin. Older and wiser men of my youth always told me to treat others at a minimum as an equal or better yet - someone who may know (alot) more than you. The resulting words will settle the balance.
Personally - been in the business in various forms at wholesale, retail, gunsmith, professional competitor, and professional ammunition tech/handloader. I don't wear a sign attesting to that - nor do I want to, but at least treat me with a modicum of respect that there is potential that a customer standing at your counter knows a wee bit about the sport.
I've listened in on conversations that go on over the counter and stuff that I have heard employees say to customers is just mind boggling.
To be fair - I have been on the retail side of the counter and heard some whoppers come from customers too. One coming to mind that a customer bought a custom 1911 in stainless from me - I showed him how to take it apart with particular attention on the slide stop - extra care to prevent marring the frame. A month later he returned to the store demanding his $ back because there was a big circular scratch on the slide. I politely explained that it wasn't there when he bought it. He asked if I was calling him a liar - pretty much, and reminded him I was the guy that sold him the pistol and that we had gone over this particular issue - and asked if he remembered that? A bit red faced he hemmed and hawed - bottom line I took the pistol back in after he apologized and returned it to Colt to have them polish out the scratch (for a fee).
Listen to another shop employee tell a customer that every used rifle had the headspace checked when it came in - I was immediately interested - I leaned over and asked what kind of gauge do they use and is it recorded on the tag or something (since that is a really helpful piece of data). He told me that they "use a universal headspace gauge that will fit in any chamber"
I left - never to return.
People suck - if everyone dropped the act/egos and treated each other with respect life would be so much easier.

Resurrecting a somewhat aged thread...
Personal pet peeve and a virtual automatic characterization of the LGS and it's employees being ego-centric a-holes is the that all to familiar attitude that when someone walks in the door (a potential customer) - that they treat this potential customer as an uneducated moron. We've all felt it - it is an air of superiority. Boy oh boy does that get under my skin. Older and wiser men of my youth always told me to treat others at a minimum as an equal or better yet - someone who may know (alot) more than you. The resulting words will settle the balance.
Personally - been in the business in various forms at wholesale, retail, gunsmith, professional competitor, and professional ammunition tech/handloader. I don't wear a sign attesting to that - nor do I want to, but at least treat me with a modicum of respect that there is potential that a customer standing at your counter knows a wee bit about the sport.
I've listened in on conversations that go on over the counter and stuff that I have heard employees say to customers is just mind boggling.
To be fair - I have been on the retail side of the counter and heard some whoppers come from customers too. One coming to mind that a customer bought a custom 1911 in stainless from me - I showed him how to take it apart with particular attention on the slide stop - extra care to prevent marring the frame. A month later he returned to the store demanding his $ back because there was a big circular scratch on the slide. I politely explained that it wasn't there when he bought it. He asked if I was calling him a liar - pretty much, and reminded him I was the guy that sold him the pistol and that we had gone over this particular issue - and asked if he remembered that? A bit red faced he hemmed and hawed - bottom line I took the pistol back in after he apologized and returned it to Colt to have them polish out the scratch (for a fee).
Listen to another shop employee tell a customer that every used rifle had the headspace checked when it came in - I was immediately interested - I leaned over and asked what kind of gauge do they use and is it recorded on the tag or something (since that is a really helpful piece of data). He told me that they "use a universal headspace gauge that will fit in any chamber"
I left - never to return.
People suck - if everyone dropped the act/egos and treated each other with respect life would be so much easier.
UHG ---where ever do I get one.

Back
Top Bottom