• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

240 Gr 44 Magnum Loads using Blue Dot

I did some loading yesterday using CFE Pistol with 240 GR JHP's and I also have some Blue Dot I want to use up, the most recent data only gives you one load, 13.7 grains. It doesn't list a min or max, only one load, what's up with that? I've read elsewhere that some guys are using 16-17 grains of BD with good results, so is there an update from Alliant that I haven't been able to find? I know there was an update for light bullets in 357 and they say don't use it at all with 41 Magnum.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reload...wderlist.aspx&type=1&powderid=10&cartridge=33

Lyman 50th has a min of 13.4gr and a max of 14.9gr of Blue Dot for what they call a 240gr "Jacketed HC" bullet in 44 Magnum, and a min of 14.4gr and a max of 16.0gr of Blue Dot for a 240gr "Jacketed HP" bullet in the same caliber.

I don't know what the difference is between the two bullets.

Lyman240gr44Mag.jpg

240 grain bullets hit hard, that much we know [smile] I have handguns in .25 .380 9mm 7.62x25 .44 and .45, and the 44 Mag is by far my favorite and most fun to shoot.

240 grain bullets hit hard, that much we know [smile] I have handguns in .25 .380 9mm 7.62x25 .44 and .45, and the 44 Mag is by far my favorite and most fun to shoot.

If you look at the data for 300-MP and Lil' Gun, you'll see velocities above 1550 fps for 240g jacketed bullets, but with more than 24 grains of powder.

Come down to SE CT and try some Lee 310gr LRNFP. We can also do a 7.5 Swiss sabot shoot-off, too.

Last edited:
Cool, I don't have frangible but they're fun to shoot, I use standard .224 55 gr FMJ's I load them in .308 as well.

If you look at the data for 300-MP and Lil' Gun, you'll see velocities above 1550 fps for 240g jacketed bullets, but with more than 24 grains of powder.

Come down to SE CT and try some Lee 310gr LRNFP. We can also do a 7.5 Swiss sabot shoot-off, too.

- - - Updated - - -

I love my K-31's!

Cool, I don't have frangible but they're fun to shoot, I use standard .224 55 gr FMJ's I load them in .308 as well.
I love my K-31's!

I load whatever I happen to have at the moment, it's not that frangibles are my top choice. Sometimes I use the plastic riot bullets, mostly the simple LRN...

Last edited:
Yes, whatever floats your boat, I suppose.
I just have a hard time using 40 to 49 grains of powder when 7 to 10 grains does the trick.
The Swiss are a gas regardless of charge...roger?

I loaded up up a small batch of 44s with 13gr Blue Dot under a 240 HPXTP. I can't find the shooting data I had written down for it but nothing bad sticks out. I do remember seeing flattened primers which on closer examination were a little dished, then I noticed the area around the firing pin hole is a little convex on my 629 so that explained that.

Back
Top Bottom