• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

24 states urge Supreme Court to take up assault rifle ban case

The justices who voted to deny cert did not want to fact the choice between intellectual and legal honesty and what they see as desired public policy.

Some on the conservative side may not have a strong feeling from Kennedy either. Kennedy is such a squish at times, They may not think he is a reliable vote in favor of overturning the AWB's. We all know the 4 liberals are certain votes against 2a, so the conservatives might now want to roll the dice on Kennedy.

We're so screwed when Hitlary gets in and puts two more libs on the SC.

Because R nominated ones have been so supportive of freedom??

Frankly I'd rather have Hillary nominate raging antis and they go full ban retard.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup. SCOTUS has a case law bomb on their hand. If you put Miller and Heller together, the Hughes Amendment and NFA are clearly unconstitutional and (this is stretching) carrying full auto m4s everywhere should probably be allowed.

Exactly.

After reading that dissent, I fully understand why it was denied. The every gun control schema is at risk if this case was put before the court.

They fear...

And this is why the US will almost certainly end up going the way of the UK and Australia.
European laws are written differently than American. In Europe, unless they have laws saying you're allowed to do "X", it's not legal. Completely opposite of American law, which, unless it's written that you can't, it's legal.

If American legislators attempted to take our possessions, especially our guns, it would end poorly, and they know it. They're only willing to go so far, even the ones who have gone full retard, like Feinstein and Rosenthal.

European laws are written differently than American. In Europe, unless they have laws saying you're allowed to do "X", it's not legal. Completely opposite of American law, which, unless it's written that you can't, it's legal.

If American legislators attempted to take our possessions, especially our guns, it would end poorly, and they know it. They're only willing to go so far, even the ones who have gone full retard, like Feinstein and Rosenthal.

Australia and the UK have the exact same common law background that the USA does. See what Blackstone's commentaries on the Law of England say about the right to bear arms.

Justice Thomas, joined by Justice Scalia dissented. See page 12:

http://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/courtorders/120715zor_6j37.pdf

I think public attention generated by recent shootings have given some of the justices cold feet. Still holding out for Caetano which was not in today's orders.

Because ruling the ACA was Constitutional was so much more popular? [hmmm]

They lack the courage to support freedom and liberty.

THIS

Yup. SCOTUS has a case law bomb on their hand. If you put Miller and Heller together, the Hughes Amendment and NFA are clearly unconstitutional and (this is stretching) carrying full auto m4s everywhere should probably be allowed.

THIS x 1,000,000,000,000

Incorrect, end of debate.

Ailto and Roberts are unsure of where Kennedy is at, so they punted, allowing Scalia and Thomas to write a template on how to proceed in the future.

Asking the unelected lifetime political appointees on the supreme court to rule on something that the fed gov is constitutionally not empowered to pass laws on is bound to end badly

The right solution remains at the state level

You realize the Constitution sets up the Judiciary branch and the SCOTUS and to do exactly this...

Until a CLEAR majority of SC Justices adopt an attitude that is represented by the dissent below from Scalia and Thomas we are all better off with these ISSUES being decided at the state level....and if you dont like what your state is doing then MOVE and deny them your vote and your tax dollars

Not this shit again. I thought you were already warned:
Cut the shit or you're out.

And this is why the US will almost certainly end up going the way of the UK and Australia.
No it won't, we'll just devolve further into two diametrically opposed groups of citizens.

The justices who voted to deny cert did not want to fact the choice between intellectual and legal honesty and what they see as desired public policy.

Well, that and frankly I think there's a lack of intestinal fortitude in the sense that they love avoiding extremely controversial issues at nearly all costs. It almost seems like they only take up things like RKBA cases because they would be embarrassed if they didn't. For example with Heller there was a bunch of press surrounding the case even in legal circles, even a bunch of liberal types that hate guns but respect the law also were more or less forced to say that the case had legitimacy behind it. So the justices would have looked like a bunch of *******s for denying it cert because Alan Gura basically had them over a barrel in terms of legitimacy of the case itself, it was flawless.

I think there's this institutional sloth where SCOTUS wants to say to gun owners "we gave you your one nugget in this century, now go away." Even though they won't come out and say it, you know they're thinking it.

-Mike

Ailto and Roberts are unsure of where Kennedy is at, so they punted, allowing Scalia and Thomas to write a template on how to proceed in the future.

This makes sense, but I bet some of it is an issue of whether or not they all wanted to expend the effort in trying to work Kennedy over vs just punting the thing. If they think Kennedy is impossible they probably figured out that punting is 100x cheaper than a bad decision, and one that would make the whole court look bad if it went badly.

-Mike

They can't do anything and won't because they all know that Miller was a huge mistake. Heller clearly was an attempt to skirt the line between reversing Miller and doing nothing. They knew the decision they wrote would raise all of the problems we're pointing out and now they're terrified of the next decision because they painted themselves into a corner.

Either they strike down all AWBs forever thereby nullifying Miller and suddenly literally ALL federal gun laws become void by necessity, or they support AWBs which effectively allows a "legitimate law" path to full bans on all mag fed rifles.

They don't want either of those, mostly because they are cowards and don't want change.

They can't do anything and won't because they all know that Miller was a huge mistake. Heller clearly was an attempt to skirt the line between reversing Miller and doing nothing. They knew the decision they wrote would raise all of the problems we're pointing out and now they're terrified of the next decision because they painted themselves into a corner.

Either they strike down all AWBs forever thereby nullifying Miller and suddenly literally ALL federal gun laws become void by necessity, or they support AWBs which effectively allows a "legitimate law" path to full bans on all mag fed rifles.

They don't want either of those, mostly because they are cowards and don't want change.

It's not an either-or proposition, though... they always have an out though, they could still EASILY rule that a typical, federal style AWB is invalid because the firearms at this point banned by such a law are indeed in common use, but also but proffer that garbage like the NFA is valid under the "reasonable restrictions" bullshit, because of the long amount of time the NFA has been in effect and has gone uncontested. Basically "reasonable restrictions" is an excuse with a universal adapter on it, and they can get away with it, especially on stuff that is considered old legacy issues like NFA, Prohibited Persons, GCA68, etc. They already more or less laid down a plank for that in Heller saying that some limited restrictions are "okay". They just don't want to elaborate on the issue I think because of what Smash05 says (maybe Kennedy is wonky... after all he did vote against cert, I believe) or they are just too big of wussbags and don't want to hear the antis whine forever afterwards after they get tiger uppercutted in the mouth again. [rofl]

-Mike

It's not an either-or proposition, though... they always have an out though, they could still EASILY rule that a typical, federal style AWB is invalid because the firearms at this point banned by such a law are indeed in common use, but also but proffer that garbage like the NFA is valid under the "reasonable restrictions" bullshit, because of the long amount of time the NFA has been in effect and has gone uncontested. Basically "reasonable restrictions" is an excuse with a universal adapter on it, and they can get away with it, especially on stuff that is considered old legacy issues like NFA, Prohibited Persons, GCA68, etc. They already more or less laid down a plank for that in Heller saying that some limited restrictions are "okay". They just don't want to elaborate on the issue I think because of what Smash05 says (maybe Kennedy is wonky... after all he did vote against cert, I believe) or they are just too big of wussbags and don't want to hear the antis whine forever afterwards after they get tiger uppercutted in the mouth again. [rofl]

-Mike

I don't see how you rule common use and not raise a further tide of challenges for other military standard issue hardware. If they take a common use tack, there's a shot ton of more equipment that would fit that category.

I don't see how you rule common use and not raise a further tide of challenges for other military standard issue hardware. If they take a common use tack, there's a shot ton of more equipment that would fit that category.

Yeah but you're also assuming that the court even cares about the military hardware question and all that sort of thing that came up in Miller, it really doesn't. Miller is regarded as kind of a garbage case, based off poor evidence. (and conclusions that are contradictory.... for example, guns should serve a militia purpose but we're going to turn around and try to tell people that a trench gun or other short shotgun isn't useful in a militia purpose. [angry2] With that caveat in there it ends up being an empty hull, for gun owners.

If Miller was turned into an NFL officiating action, this is what it would look like...

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember to that AWB is a strict ban without exception, whereas the NFA is basically a tax. If the ban on new machine gun transfers were struck down, the NFA as a tax and license scheme is probably Constitutional, assuming it is effectively at this point a deminimus tax. The AWB as presently constructed is an all or nothing proposition, with a grandfather clause.

Strange, but when I mentioned this before, it got totally slammed as preposterous or something.

Remember to that AWB is a strict ban without exception, whereas the NFA is basically a tax. If the ban on new machine gun transfers were struck down, the NFA as a tax and license scheme is probably Constitutional, assuming it is effectively at this point a deminimus tax. The AWB as presently constructed is an all or nothing proposition, with a grandfather clause.

NFA is only "affordable" now at $200 a transfer because of inflation. When it was implemented, in 1934, $200 was a ****load of money.

I know this isn't the first line of defense when we're talking about inherent rights - but if the government decides they're going to go confiscate guns - we are also talking about another legal problem.

They're demanding you turn over your PROPERTY.

Are they going to compensate me for that?

This is just a back of a napkin calculation - but if there's 300 million guns in the country - and those guns are worth on the average of $500 each - we're talking about......

$150,000,000,000

That's 150 BILLION dollars. Who's coughing up the money for that?

I know this isn't the first line of defense when we're talking about inherent rights - but if the government decides they're going to go confiscate guns - we are also talking about another legal problem.

This is just a back of a napkin calculation - but if there's 300 million guns in the country - and those guns are worth on the average of $500 each - we're talking about......

$150,000,000,000

They would never pay you for anything ...[rofl]

if the gays wanted machine guns to be sold at 7-11s, it would be law.

You want to see a paradigm change in regards to gun laws?

Get on the ISIS Twitter account and suggest that they send 12-15 of their guys up to San Francisco and go all terroristy on a gay rights parade and a bunch of the high tech businesses in town. Suggest that they bring the guns in from Mexico - tell them there's plenty of Fast and Furious stuff down there cheap.

Then sit back and watch the liberals twist themselves apart.

NFA as a tax is a lie though, if it was "just about the tax" it could be simply collected by an FFL and then a transfer effectuated like any other title 1 firearm.

Not to mention, when's the last time you had to get FINGERPRINTS and a signoff from a police chief, or have a corp/llc/trust just to pay some taxes on something you bought?

The $200 is just window dressing for the endless pile of bullshit it takes to get that one little stamp.

It'd be different if you could just walk into an 07 plonk your extra 200 bucks down on the counter and walk out with the SBR or
whatever. Instead you have to wait friggan months. A right delayed is a right denied.

-Mike

$150,000,000,000

That's easy when you have the right printing press ...

NFA as a tax is a lie though, if it was "just about the tax" it could be simply collected by an FFL and then a transfer effectuated like any other title 1 firearm.

Not to mention, when's the last time you had to get FINGERPRINTS and a signoff from a police chief, or have a corp/llc/trust just to pay some taxes on something you bought?

The $200 is just window dressing for the endless pile of bullshit it takes to get that one little stamp.

It'd be different if you could just walk into an 07 plonk your extra 200 bucks down on the counter and walk out with the SBR or
whatever. Instead you have to wait friggan months. A right delayed is a right denied.

-Mike

I don't disagree, I'm just making the distinction as to why the AWB is more onerous than the NFA in many regards.

Back
Top Bottom