238 or 911? ...Or G42?

A woman friend whose nephew is into shooting was looking at the 238. I told her the Springfield 911 is basically the same gun for less but I notice the 238 is around for a similar price.
So what are the pros cons of either? Then, would you take the G42 over both of these. I know, totally different platforms.
Thanks

The G42 is slightly larger than the other two, but is significantly less expensive. The size difference might matter depending on how she plans to carry it. Also, some people aren't comfortable with condition 1 carry, although with proper training, (which she needs whichever pistol she chooses) it isn't an issue. Personally, I'd go for the SIG with 7-rd mags; she should be able to take a full grip on it. The standard night sights are excellent.

If I got the G42 I would get the Pearce mag extensions for it. They increase capacity to 7 rounds and make it much more comfortable to shoot.

I've got a 911 and am very happy with it. It's essentially a knockoff of the 238, so if that's the direction your friend wants to go, I'd buy on price (factoring in everything that comes in the box). It comes with a 6 and 7 round mag, as well as a holster (which I left in the box as I preferred a Sticky I already had).

The Glock 42 has some very soft recoil; it's downside as mentioned above is that it's a bit larger and you'll want a holster that covers the trigger.

The 238 is a 1911 style pistol, you need to carry it cocked and locked if you want to be able to use it rapidly. That's a more complex set of operations than simply pulling the trigger on a striker fired pistol. For that reason alone, I'd go with the G42 for anyone who's not a 1911 aficionado.

And if you're going with a G42, might as well go with a G43 so you can have 9mm instead of .380. As someone else said, add the Pierce Plus One magazine extensions and you've got 8 in the gun, plus 7 in a backup mag.

And if you're going with a G42, might as well go with a G43 so you can have 9mm instead of .380. As someone else said, add the Pierce Plus One magazine extensions and you've got 8 in the gun, plus 7 in a backup mag.

The fact that the 42 & 43 both have the same capacity is a reason for some to go the 43 route, but the 42 is smaller, lighter and the big factor, less recoil and more control.
Personally owning both at one time, I prefer the 42. The reason I don't have either is the G26.

The fact that the 42 & 43 both have the same capacity is a reason for some to go the 43 route, but the 42 is smaller, lighter and the big factor, less recoil and more control.
Personally owning both at one time, I prefer the 42. The reason I don't have either is the G26.

That's interesting. My experience was the opposite, I had a G42, bought the G43 when it came out. I found the G43 easier to shoot. Different strokes for different folks.

Different strokes indeed. To me the G43 is enough bigger that it doesn't fit for pocket carry in most of my pants. And frankly, it's old technology having been superseded by the SIG 365. The G42 with extended mag is very mild to shoot and controllable. I typically recommend the 238/938/911 for experienced shooters as the short, light triggers require extra care in a tense situation to avoid making a premature bang.

I've got a 911 and am very happy with it. It's essentially a knockoff of the 238, so if that's the direction your friend wants to go, I'd buy on price (factoring in everything that comes in the box). It comes with a 6 and 7 round mag, as well as a holster (which I left in the box as I preferred a Sticky I already had).
I got the magguts springs for my 238, that gives me 7+1 for the 6 round mags and 8+1 for the 7 round. No reliability issues so far - over 1000 rounds.

We have a P238 I got for my wife several years ago. Terrific gun. Never an issue with reliability (at all). Read some of the "guns for women" articles out there. It's easy to rack the slide for someone with small/weak hands. You can rack the slide with the safety ON which is a nice feature, too.

Check out the Shield EZ, too. Shot the Shield 2.0 9mm EZ at the range this week, and it's nice. Considerably bigger than the little Sig though.

I like my 238, and it was replaced as my EDC by a 365 that I like more as it’s an easy shooting 9mm. I still take it to the range occasionally too.

Mission is important. Are we talking home defense gun only? CCW? Range only? Gotta start there and you haven't told us.

From the choices we might think CCW. Unless she is willing to train more, the 238 will be more work. Wouldn't recommend condition 1 for pocket carry/need a holster whereas g42 not as much.

Mission is important. Are we talking home defense gun only? CCW? Range only? Gotta start there and you haven't told us.

From the choices we might think CCW. Unless she is willing to train more, the 238 will be more work. Wouldn't recommend condition 1 for pocket carry/need a holster whereas g42 not as much.
It’s all about what the intended purpose of the gun is!!!

Actually I talked with Tina and it's her nephew that she takes shooting. He's only 10 but he shoots trap and skeet and goes to the pistol range often. He's the one that is interested in the 238. Naturally Tina has to buy it. He already has two shotguns, one that he bought with money from doing lawns.

Back
Top Bottom