• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New M&P bodyguard 380, no laser

There's a difference between a random failure and a known issue. These screws have been vibrating loose and stopping the slide from working, no clearing that jam. This is not a rare occurrence, just google it.

You can google anything and find it.. I've owned mine for quite a while, never any problems. I know lots of guys that own them.... zero problems.... I belong to the S&W board, sure there has been a few guys with problems early on..... can't remember anything the last year to make note of. Can you search for something wrong and find it... sure.... like I said, pick a gun, I'll do a search and guarantee you I'll find something. I had a girlfriend once that screwed me over.... guess they're all bad, huh.... [grin]

In fairness, the BG380 had it's share of issues at first release. Made you wonder if S&W had rushed it out. Specifically early models were known to have had some number of Laser button failures, takedown lever fly-offs, trigger breakage and (yes) laser battery screw backing out causing jams. As I recall , these were all documented to be corrected in production by the EEAXXX serial number range. You rarely see these reports now. (This can also be googled or researched at the smith-wessonforum) . FWIW, I bought mine new maybe 6 months into production. Mine was post this serial number sequence and has had no issues at all. Its reliable as a hammer! Did I mention that (after owning most all other major brands) this is my all time favorite 380 ever??! :)

I've never had problems with my BG380, I agree with most that the laser is useless and not practical on this gun. I bought it for other reasons than the laser. I am not a huge fan of the trigger pull but plan on getting the trigger done soon. I think S&W wised up to the laser part and just dropped it.

If someone is looking for a .380 to bring to the range all the time this is not the gun for them.

Not sure why most people complain about the Trigger on this gun. I shoot great groups and really like the trigger. The laser is fantastic and the one issue I had (batteries died) I sent it back to Smith and they replaced it. I think its a great little gun that's fun to shoot and accurate. If you cant shoot the gun well, either practice with it until you can or sell it for something without a long pull like a 1911 style gun. Which I will say I personally am not a fan of.

The reason I never was worried about the laser on mine was the fact that the S&W warranty is impeccable.

Normally I would agree, but when it comes to a carry gun, that "impeccable warranty" is pretty useless if it goes click when you expect a bang in a self defense situation. Many of the laser related problems were because the screws on the laser back out and jamb the slide making the gun inoperable. To me that relegates this gun to backup status only (the laser version).

Let it go... that's old news and part of the growing pains of a new gun.. It's not an issue today, and if you own a BG, it's just part of maintenance to check it... I know you're not a S&W fan, more of a Ruger player if I remember, but if you don't own it and are just passing on internet chatter.... for the sake of participating, you are passing on old news and perpetuating a scenario that really is not likely to happen any more than my Ruger LC 9 is going to come apart when a pin falls out... while defending myself..

one more thing, do you or have you owned one or do you know someone personally that this happened to....

Normally I would agree, but when it comes to a carry gun, that "impeccable warranty" is pretty useless if it goes click when you expect a bang in a self defense situation. Many of the laser related problems were because the screws on the laser back out and jamb the slide making the gun inoperable. To me that relegates this gun to backup status only (the laser version).

Let it go... that's old news and part of the growing pains of a new gun.. It's not an issue today, and if you own a BG, it's just part of maintenance to check it... I know you're not a S&W fan, more of a Ruger player if I remember, but if you don't own it and are just passing on internet chatter.... for the sake of participating, you are passing on old news and perpetuating a scenario that really is not likely to happen any more than my Ruger LC 9 is going to come apart when a pin falls out... while defending myself..

one more thing, do you or have you owned one or do you know someone personally that this happened to....

Jack, I get what you're saying, and agree that they have likely corrected that issue, however the affected ones are still being bought and sold in the secondary market every day so it is only fair that people are educated about potential failure points on ANY gun, this isn't a fanboy thing at all. Yes, I personally owned a BG myself for about a year. I loved the size and weight for carry, but like most here, wasn't a fan of the trigger or the laser. I would consider buying this new version, and I'm not a S&W hater at all, even though I only have one other S&W product at the moment.

Will the new one need to be added to the state list to sell? Or will the fact that they are both listed as the bodyguard 380 be enough to sell it with out further testing.

Last edited:
Will the new one need to be added to the state list to sell? Or will the face that they are both listed as the bodyguard 380 be enough to sell it with out further testing.

different SKU so it'll have to be tested and added to the list.

Remember... It's for the children.

Will the new one need to be added to the state list to sell? Or will the face that they are both listed as the bodyguard 380 be enough to sell it with out further testing.

Who knows, some distributors/dealers may just start selling them under the "substantially similar" clause in the law but I would bet that most are going to be too chickens**t to do so. If this is the case hopefully S&W gets it tested.

-Mike

I emailed Smith inquiring about when these might be available in MA. Looks like they are hoping for late spring.
Smith&Wesson Customer Service said:
Subject: M&P Bodyguard .380 in MA
Dear Customer,
We hope to have it available late spring.
If further assistance is required please reply accordingly.
Sincerely,
Frank

Hey guys, a follow up question on the original Bodyguard. Are they all MA compliant or do they make a MA version like with the Shield's? They are pretty cheap on Gunbroker right now. Just wanted to make sure they were all MA compliant. I'm looking to replace my original Colt Mustang with something lighter and simpler when I need something small. I never realized how light light could be until I bought my wife a MP340...

Last edited:
Hey guys, a follow up question on the original Bodyguard. Are they all MA compliant or do they make a MA version like with the Shield's? They are pretty cheap on Gunbroker right now. Just wanted to make sure they were all MA compliant. I'm looking to replace my original Colt Mustang with something lighter and simpler when I need something small. I never realized how light light could be until I bought my wife a MP340...

All Bodyguards have equally terrible triggers so they should all be CMR940 compliant easily. The other one (without the stupid laser) may not be on the list yet, but it's not imminently clear to me, either, that it would require recertification.

None of this really matters anyways- what actually matters is what the inbounding FFL says on the MA side. Whatever he/she says, goes, as far as compliance is concerned, because they are the ones assuming that liability, not you, the buyer. So always check/confirm with the transferring FFL before buying something.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom