• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New M&P bodyguard 380, no laser

I was hoping they would come out with a non-laser version because it was essentially useless, but I never thought it would cost the same. Shouldn't the non-laser version be $50-$100 less? I do like the look much better.

It's slightly heavier...but if everything else is the same, and my galloway bar and trigger kit work. I may go for it

I was hoping they would come out with a non-laser version because it was essentially useless, but I never thought it would cost the same. Shouldn't the non-laser version be $50-$100 less? I do like the look much better.

$419 vs. $379 it looks like, although the MSRP from S&W is always way higher than I see it for in stores.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57892_757752_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

When I first looked at the M&P version I didn't even realize it was different. It looks nicer, but besides that is there any big difference between the slide and no laser?

$419 vs. $379 it looks like, although the MSRP from S&W is always way higher than I see it for in stores.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57892_757752_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

When I first looked at the M&P version I didn't even realize it was different. It looks nicer, but besides that is there any big difference between the slide and no laser?

Oh, I didn't look at the msrp comparison on their site. I was just going by what I generally see the BG selling for (which is around the same as this new gun's msrp). Also, I may be mistaken, but I thought that the regular laser version had the "M&P" logo also. I had one, but sold it over a year ago so maybe my memory is fuzzy on that.

I'd buy this over the laser version, but the trigger pull from hell might still dissuade me from it. The few times I shot my friends a handful of times I had to check if the safety was on or not after trying to take a shot.
I'll stick with my 238 for now...

Oh, I didn't look at the msrp comparison on their site. I was just going by what I generally see the BG selling for (which is around the same as this new gun's msrp). Also, I may be mistaken, but I thought that the regular laser version had the "M&P" logo also. I had one, but sold it over a year ago so maybe my memory is fuzzy on that.

Yeah I'm sure the M&P version will be going for 350 or maybe a bit less in stores. S&W always shoots high with prices.

Is the only difference between the M&P Bodyguard and the Bodyguard the lack of a laser?
From the pictures on their website there looks to be some other slight cosmetic variations. Anyone know if the internals are the same? I've only handled a BG380 a few times, and thought the trigger leaves some to be desired. I wonder if this version will be better.

The video on the product page said "now shipping with two magazines". Does the regular BG 380 only come with one?

Last edited:
I'd buy this over the laser version, but the trigger pull from hell might still dissuade me from it. The few times I shot my friends a handful of times I had to check if the safety was on or not after trying to take a shot.
I'll stick with my 238 for now...

Your 238 is twice the gun, bodyguard is one of the worst guns I have ever shot!

For that price I wouldnt buy that...and the bg w/lazer got so many bad reveiws that I wouldnt have though t smith with even give it another go with so many ppl that would not buy it because of all the issues the 1st 1 had and imo the shield would be a better choice for only about 50$ more

This. I know several that were bought back by S&W because they were lemons. I no longer buy any S&W guns that are younger than I am.
I kind of feel the same way, although I have a m&p full size that has never had any issue.
I do however love the 3rd gen smith's, And hope to find a few more of those at good prices before I spent any money on anything like this.

my friends bg380, has been laid up at least 2 times for several weeks due to issues with the built in laser. Other than that, he says it's reliable...but, I think it kind of speaks for itself.

I'd wager part of the motivation for building this and labeling it M&P is for police back up guns and/or undercover type work. Many departments won't OK a back up gun with an integral laser (or require that it be disabled).

The bodyguard is never going to behave like a glock or m&p as thats not its intended function. Its a close range grab and bang kinda gun like the P3AT or the LCP both of which have nearly identical triggers.

Different SKU than the original bodyguard 380. Wonder how long it'll take to get added to the MA compliant list.

It's about time that S&W smartened up on this one. This gun gets more bad rep and likely more returns over the laser. ( Can't tell you how many times I've seen folks crank on the adjustment past it's stops then claim the gun is defective.) I think S&W figured out it was more trouble than it was worth. A laser has no place on a belly gun (which this is.) It also looks like the new laser less version ships with two mags. When I bought my BG380 a few years back, one mag as the norm.

FWIW, As for all the gripes about the trigger pull, I love mine. When it first came home, I mixed some Flitz metal polish and CLP and put a few drops on the base of the hammer. I then dry fired it hundreds of times while watching TV. It's still long but it smoothened out quickly. It is now smooth, feels lighter and is very predictable .

Also FWIW, I had a Sig 238 and sold it in favor of keeping my BG 380. Yes the Sig was built superbly and had a light, crisp short trigger but that was part of the problem. I don't like the idea of pocket caring a loaded gun in condition two with a 5# SA trigger. I also don't like dropping a pristine $700 gun into my pocket with loose change , pocket knife etc. The BG gives me the external safety AND the longer DA pull . It also costs about 1/2 of the Sig so I don't mind if it gets abused a bit.

Final note, for me the BG shot ass accurately as the Sig in a side by side test. Still surprised at that given the SA vs DA triggers.

To each their own. I for one am glad to see the laser go though.

Last edited:
I'm in, I'll buy one. I have no problems with anything I've purchased from S&W, including my BG380 ... I never really cared about the laser, it was just a sales perk to me. Grdscpr, carb and wee nailed it... As for the police not using the BG380 with a laser, nothing could be farther from the truth.. I spent lots of time at the S&W retail store waiting on a BG380... every time I was in there, there was a line of police department officers picking em up... There were cases of them sitting behind the counter, when no one else could get them... cause they were all going to the police...

Course it'll be at least a year before we see them here...

FWIW, As for all the gripes about the trigger pull, I love mine. When it first came home, I mixed some Flitz metal polish and CLP and put a few drops on the base of the hammer. I then dry fired it hundreds of times while watching TV. It's still long but it smoothened out quickly. It is now smooth, feels lighter and is very predictable .

IIRC, what I didn't like about the trigger was there was a noticeable click on the release of the trigger before the actual trigger reset, which I thought was a bit annoying. Unless I'm thinking of the LCP.

I've been considering getting a BG380 for a while. I would probably opt for the one without the laser.

Last edited:
Doing some thinking tonight (I know its dangerous) I thought about taking apart my bg380, and pulling the laser out, and swapping the laser diode for a cree diode. I think a flashlight on that gun would be better than a laser.

any gun could have a fatal flaw... maintain your weapon and hopefully there won't be a "fatal" flaw..

There's a difference between a random failure and a known issue. These screws have been vibrating loose and stopping the slide from working, no clearing that jam. This is not a rare occurrence, just google it.

Back
Top Bottom