• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

DIY home anodizing

Thought you could use dyerit.....

I'm gonna do. Blood themed at now Damit... Lol

If you can find the Rit dye colors, bring them... We'll need buckets though since all the ones I have are in use. Get the liquid dye if possible. Or at least four packets of the powder. Basically, I mix up at least double the 'normal' concentration. Otherwise it takes too frackin long to color the piece. I also think the Caswell dyes are a bit better than the Rit dye. You can also get a lot of colors from Caswell. I have their 'color wheel' in my cart. Just need to place an order to get it here. Will really help to mix up colors. Especially since I'm color blind. [rofl2]

I'm down to just using the old battery charger while an expert is working on a far better solution for me. I'll post information, along with test results once I have what's being built. From the conversation I had with him, this is going to be several fold better than what I got from ebay. Oh, and the ebay seller I got the POS power supply from is going to get very negative feedback/rating from me. Holding off on that until I get more info tomorrow...

Got to love NES members that are experts in their field.

Got the new power supply today...

Old power supply (battery charger from the late 70's early 80's):
old_power_supply.jpg

The NEW power supply (will be testing it out in the next couple of days):
new_power_supply_front.jpg

new_power_supply_back.jpg

new_power_supply_side.jpg

Weighs in at almost 29# as it sits...

My daughter is going to be heart broken over this. Dammit!

Tell her that there are no more unicorns in the region to get the pink dye from... [rofl2] Or get her to pick a far better color... Hell, even Fugly Dark Earth is better than weeping fudd pink... [rofl2]

Tell her that there are no more unicorns in the region to get the pink dye from... [rofl2] Or get her to pick a far better color... Hell, even Fugly Dark Earth is better than weeping fudd pink... [rofl2]

Not even for a girl?
Sure you could get some of the older nes ladies over for that ;)

But on a real note how is the color applied like you paint it I then dip it in some thing else?

Not even for a girl?
Sure you could get some of the older nes ladies over for that ;)

But on a real note how is the color applied like you paint it I then dip it in some thing else?

The ladies can't be much older than me (on the top end)... I'm not into grannies after all. [rofl2]

As for coloring a piece that's been anodized, you take it from the anodizing tank, rinse off the electrolyte, and then submerge it into the dye bath for XX minutes until you reach the color you want. You can put it into a sealing chemical (boiling in it), steam and then boil it, or just let it dry. Depending on the color, not sealing it might lead to it fading over time. Depending on where the item is (UV exposure).

if you guys still need buckets I have about 10 -4 gallons with me. someone will need to swing by at pick them up. near boston.

if you guys still need buckets I have about 10 -4 gallons with me. someone will need to swing by at pick them up. near boston.

I've progressed beyond buckets now... I'm more interested in rectangular 'tanks' that are in the 5-8 gallon range (maybe up to 10 gallon). I'll be buying more electrolyte powder come spring time, when it's more readily available...

I figure with my current/new tank configuration, I can anodize up to three lowers at a shot.

First run pictures, so far...

Tank_1.jpg

display_1.jpg

display_3.jpg

Lower is in the dye bath now. I let it run for 90 minutes, but suspect I could have stopped sooner. First time I've actually SEEN the 7075 take on a bronze cast (which is what it should look like). Next lower I process I'll check it each 15 minutes.

I'll post a picture of the lower after it's done in the dye bath, and has dried.

I've progressed beyond buckets now... I'm more interested in rectangular 'tanks' that are in the 5-8 gallon range (maybe up to 10 gallon). I'll be buying more electrolyte powder come spring time, when it's more readily available...

I figure with my current/new tank configuration, I can anodize up to three lowers at a shot.

Just wondering if you or SkySoldier ever came up with parts list or plans for the power supply?
Thanks!

I was thinking black with blood spots or different shades of green for a camo effect .

See... Golddiggie!

I'm not the only (crazy) one who want Black w/ red spots / splotches!

Overkill, but you get the point:

ar15%202%20tone%20splash%20anodizing%201.jpg

Yes... I know you're still getting this setup & its also a PITA. [smile] So am I.

Last edited:
Where's the finished product??

Not showing until I've done another test run. I wasn't 100% happy with the first run. Made a couple of tweaks to the cathode and plan to run the lower through again. Also not going to hang it upside down this time.

Back
Top Bottom