• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Walmart, firearms, and MA residents?

RLBreton

NES Member
I popped into Salem NH Walmart on the way home and the guy was quite excited to tell me about the Black Friday firearm specials but once he heard I was a MA resident, he apologized that he couldn't sell me any firearms. I assumed he was misinformed until he showed me the Wally World pc on the desk and MA was tagged in red and lined out--the legend at the bottom of the page confirmed it.

So full of win...I gotta get the hell outta here!

I popped into Salem NH Walmart on the way home and the guy was quite excited to tell me about the Black Friday firearm specials but once he heard I was a MA resident, he apologized that he couldn't sell me any firearms. I assumed he was misinformed until he showed me the Wally World pc on the desk and MA was tagged in red and lined out--the legend at the bottom of the page confirmed it.

as long as the long gun is Mass compliant they can sell to you. If they won't it is either a mistake on their part or a company policy, not the law.

Correct--it's not the law, it's company policy from corporate. The guy said something about MA threatening the 7-round capacity limit and corporate pulled the plug. Blacklisted indeed [rolleyes]

Ran into the same thing when I was working in Rutland, VT last week and stopped by the local Walmart. Tried buying ammo and was chatting with the woman behind the ammo counter and mentioned I'm from MA and she turned this handwritten sign around above the cash register and said she couldn't sell ammo to MA residents as well as NY, NJ, or CT residents. She's like, "yeah ya know since all the shootings and stuff down there". I was like okay seriously!? Ridiculous.

Anyway, all I did was, came back an hour later after grabbing some dinner and there was a different person working nearby and made sure to keep my mouth shut and he sold me a bunch of 9mm and .38 ammo.

Ran into the same thing when I was working in Rutland, VT last week and stopped by the local Walmart. Tried buying ammo and was chatting with the woman behind the ammo counter and mentioned I'm from MA and she turned this handwritten sign around above the cash register and said she couldn't sell ammo to MA residents as well as NY, NJ, or CT residents. She's like, "yeah ya know since all the shootings and stuff down there". I was like okay seriously!? Ridiculous.

Anyway, all I did was, came back an hour later after grabbing some dinner and there was a different person working nearby and made sure to keep my mouth shut and he sold me a bunch of 9mm and .38 ammo.

I'm telling the Walmart Police on you. Hide your dog.

A bunch? Not limited to three boxes? You learned a valuable lesson. Keep your mouth shut. [wink] Good job. I applaud you for going back. Congrats.
White Feather

Why buy out of state? We need to support our local gun shops because if they go out of business we will have no place to go.

A bunch? Not limited to three boxes? You learned a valuable lesson. Keep your mouth shut. [wink] Good job. I applaud you for going back. Congrats.
White Feather

Haha yepp. No you're right, I was limited to 3 boxes but I went back the next couple days to fill my quota so then I considered it a "bunch". Especially since I'm never lucky enough to find 9mm ammo at my local Walmart here so I felt like I was winning the lottery lol. Them and the local Dick's were STOCKED on .22, 9mm, .380, .38 spl .40, .45 and .223. But no .357 magnum. It was nice to see since I'm not use to seeing that back in MA.

Last edited:
This is why if I'm in an out of state Walmart I will ALWAYS present either my NH Pistol Permit or Maine Non-Res. Even before the Sandy Hook if you took our your Mass Drivers license they wouldn't sell ammo to you, LTC or not. Even though my NH license obviously has a Mass address, they look at it and go "Okay!"

This is why if I'm in an out of state Walmart I will ALWAYS present either my NH Pistol Permit or Maine Non-Res. Even before the Sandy Hook if you took our your Mass Drivers license they wouldn't sell ammo to you, LTC or not. Even though my NH license obviously has a Mass address, they look at it and go "Okay!"

You know I was thinking of doing that but I figured they would notice it said "non resident" or notice the MA address as you said. The guy I dealt with at Walmart in VT never asked for ID but when I bought ammo at Dick's up there, the cashier asked for an ID but never mentioned any issues with me being from MA.

The first time at Walmart in Windham I showed my MA LTC and they said no ammo for you. Came back with my Maine Non-Res a few weeks later, the old lady cashier tells me to keep em in the 10 ring, and that she needed a new barrel for her 9mm. Being from Mass is like being a leper.

Last edited:
Wierd. I bought my Rem 770 from there which was my first ever gun like 2 years ago. Nice to see that MA is so ****ed up that they just alienate us. BOYCOTT EVERYTHING! smh.[rolleyes]

Last edited:

Smart guy - you learned.

Good thing you didn't waste your time by going to Pidgeon's in New Haven - he won't sell anything, long guns OR ammo, to a MA resident.

That must be relatively new, because I've had to show ID at Walmart in VT before (Bennington at least) to buy ammo, and they haven't batted an eye at my MA DL.

I've been sold ammo at NY walmarts on several occasions. Had to show my MA LTC, but that was it.

Bought my NH non-resident hunting license last friday at Tilton Walmart
After that transaction, I bought some tulla Brass Maxx
No ID required, and he knew I was from MA

I had the same experience in Maine last weekend when trying to buy a shotgun. Pretty sad. They said it's a Walmart policy not a law. Any other gun shop will sell it to you he said. And we are planning an exit as soon as we can afford it.

Ive bought plenty of ammo at nh Walmart s, although it bothers me when they ask for my license. 18 verification I guess even though I'm mid 30s

Back
Top Bottom