• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

22lr vs 17hmr for target shooting

So have decided to try to take up target shooting. My wife has expressed a intrested in it so I have permision to buy a new gun [smile].. After some research I decied on a savage 17hmr with the accu trigger..I made the decion based on reading the 17hmr would be better for ranges beyond 100 yards.. The range where I shoot has a 300 yard. Area so I thought if we got good we would be better off with the 17hmr trying for the further distances (not 300 but 150 or 200).. The trouble is I am having a hard time finding the rifle I want! I would like the synthetic stock (wife complains, my other rifles are to heavy) and I don't want it to come with a junk scope on it.. I also don't want it in camo. (17hmr is not a hunting round so why camo!) A basic savage with the accu triger black synthetic stock should run 250 or so..then drop another 250 or 300 on the scope..but can't find it.. So now I am getting impatient and I am thinking maybe I should consider 22lr... wondering your opions..should i be patient and weight or go with a 22lr and if you recomend the 22lr witch one? also I do know that. 17hmr is far more money to shoot.. I also considered 22 magnum but those guns are equally hard to find...

Thanks in advance...

P.S. I know my grammer sucks I am dyslexic...and a lazy typer who always posts from his phone!

Go with the Savage 93R17. The 17HMR is a much better cartridge for long ranges. You and your wife will love the gun. I had the pleasure to shoot my friend's 93R17 and it was a lot of fun. The ammo is a little pricey but it is a cool rifle. At around 200 yds, the bullet drop for the 17 HMR is about 2-4 inches and the drop for the 22 is about 14-16 inches. You will be paying more for ammo but you will get a really nice round. Look at the 22 Win Mag as well but I like the 17 hmr. Good luck!

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/93R17F

Thanks that's what I had really felt! Just hate to wait maybe I will call around to like 25 gun shops this weekend

For entry level target shooting I would look at a CZ 452 in .22lr. It's a bit more money than the Savage but it's a lot more gun. I can't think of a single reason to own a .17.

For entry level target shooting I would look at a CZ 452 in .22lr. It's a bit more money than the Savage but it's a lot more gun. I can't think of a single reason to own a .17.

Hmm, a round that has almost zero recoil (making it fun to shoot, especially for beginners), with an amazingly flat trajectory and relatively low cost compared to centerfire rounds.....
hmm, I can't think of a reason either[laugh]

I started this thread a little while ago to help convince myself to buy a .17HMR. Everyone who has one seems to love it. Okay, maybe not everyone but you get my drift. I've got my eye on the Savage 93R17 BVTS but I haven't really started looking around for one.

There's some merit to what the "buy a .22 first" crowd is saying. They are accurate, great to learn on and way cheaper to shoot. I won't debate that option because it sounds like you've got your mind made up. Check out Varmint Al for some more info on the two. He's done some pretty extensive ammo testing.

Have you checked www.galleryofguns.com?

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm, a round that has almost zero recoil (making it fun to shoot, especially for beginners), with an amazingly flat trajectory and relatively low cost compared to centerfire rounds.....

I didn't want to say it [smile]

For rifles I own a 30 30 a 30-06 and a 308 all hunting guns. I am a hunter.. And I also carry over 90% however, never was big punching holes in paper.. My wife and I don't have many hobbies together.. € few days back I was taking my mosberg 500 slugster to the range to sight it in she asked if that was a sniper rifle I laughed and said it was a shot gun for deer.. That started the conversation and she thought target shooting could be fun...However she is not big on the kick from a 9mm never mind a 30-06.. I have a very old winchester. 22 carbine bolt action but it was my grandads I learned to shoot on it but it is defintly not a target gun.. so this puts me in the place of what to get for a target. gun!

May I suggest the CZ 455 rather than the 452. The 455 has a combo set with both calibers and easy change out in a bolt action. It is wood, but is not nearly as heavy as a larger caliber rifle. Mine is a great shooter! BTW, 17hmr absolutely can be a hunting caliber although here in the east we don't have much for prarie dogs.

The cz 455 looks like a great gun however I don't belive it comes with a sythetic stock and I promised the wife it would be very light

I started this thread a little while ago to help convince myself to buy a .17HMR. Everyone who has one seems to love it. Okay, maybe not everyone but you get my drift. I've got my eye on the Savage 93R17 BVTS but I haven't really started looking around for one.

There's some merit to what the "buy a .22 first" crowd is saying. They are accurate, great to learn on and way cheaper to shoot. I won't debate that option because it sounds like you've got your mind made up. Check out Varmint Al for some more info on the two. He's done some pretty extensive ammo testing.

Have you checked www.galleryofguns.com?

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't want to say it [smile]

I actually posted on your thread! I basicly said I was also looking for the 17hmr but can't find what I want! With gallery of guns I don't want to mail order and do the exchange at a ffl....its a weird hang up I have about respect and such about buying the gun through someone else and using the ffl for the transfer especially if they have the gun only in camo with a scope or something.... weather they are paid for it or not.. I know some don't even mind but I do... also I have no idea what my pin is some one let me know they had one for sale but I always just use my fingerprint...never do fa 10 ftf I guess for that I just need to call my police station....and find out if he lives in MA

If you end up going 22lr, you should check out the marlin xt22. Comparable to the savage, and you can pick it up for sub $200.

Last edited:
If you are going to be shooting a lot the ammo cost difference is huge between .17 and .22LR.
I own a 22 WMR and it is very accurate but ammo pricing is compatible to 9MM.

What's the interest in trying to teach a novice at 150yds???? Doesn't sound like you will be making very many trips to the range with your wife anyways as I don't think that will be very much fun for a 1st experiance.

The biggest issue with guys trying to buy guns "for" their wives is they usually just buy something "they" ( you ) think is cool. Thus doesn't usually end very well.

Buy a .22 shoot at 25 or 50 yds, teach her the basics, have fun and then let her decide what she wants. A .22 is all day fun, .17 is almost as expensive as shooting my ARs .17 is a total waste of money

What's the interest in trying to teach a novice at 150yds???? Doesn't sound like you will be making very many trips to the range with your wife anyways as I don't think that will be very much fun for a 1st experiance.

The biggest issue with guys trying to buy guns "for" their wives is they usually just buy something "they" ( you ) think is cool. Thus doesn't usually end very well.

Buy a .22 shoot at 25 or 50 yds, teach her the basics, have fun and then let her decide what she wants. A .22 is all day fun, .17 is almost as expensive as shooting my ARs .17 is a total waste of money

As I had said I don't expect to teach her to shoot at 150 yards at all. But I also am someone who thinks long term if she actually enjoys shooting and gets good I don't want have to buy another rifle.... And yes I want a gun I will enjoy as well I have about a 50% chance of my wife sticking to this so I want to have something I will enjoy if she decided to move on!

As I had said I don't expect to teach her to shoot at 150 yards at all. But I also am someone who thinks long term if she actually enjoys shooting and gets good I don't want have to buy another rifle.... And yes I want a gun I will enjoy as well I have about a 50% chance of my wife sticking to this so I want to have something I will enjoy if she decided to move on!

Most of these statements prove my point..... Buy a gun you want, for reasons you want and yes anyone would not likely stick with the sport. Buying one type of gun because you dont want to have to purchase a second? Why? you have more than one gun dont you?

The best rimfire shooters in the world shoot at 50 meters, with a .22. Shooting at 150yds with a rimfire IMHO defeats the fun,cost savings, time, walking that a rimfire offers. As Ive already stated I can shoot my AR at 300-600 yds more accurately for almost the same price youll be shooting your .17. These statements are true of anyone who will be using this rifle

I dont really care what you buy. As ive already stated I personally think .17 is the most stupid possible round for punching holes in paper ( if you hunting small varmint thats another story ) But, opions are like a**h***s [smile]

My statements are from experience with me doing EXACTLY what you are doing with my wife..... And I almost turned her off from the sport all together. When I starting thinking about her and let her make the decisions she started having fun, got her LTC, became a member at HSC, and started introducing her friends to the sport.

Last edited:
Most of these statements prove my point..... Buy a gun you want, for reasons you want and yes anyone would not likely stick with the sport. Buying one type of gun because you dont want to have to purchase a second? Why? you have more than one gun dont you?

The best rimfire shooters in the world shoot at 50 meters, with a .22. Shooting at 150yds with a rimfire IMHO defeats the fun,cost savings, time, walking that a rimfire offers. As Ive already stated I can shoot my AR at 300-600 yds more accurately for almost the same price youll be shooting your .17. These statements are true of anyone who will be using this rifle

I dont really care what you buy. As ive already stated I personally think .17 is the most stupid possible round for punching holes in paper ( if you hunting small varmint thats another story ) But, opions are like a**h***s [smile]

My statements are from experience with me doing EXACTLY what you are doing with my wife..... And I almost turned her off from the sport all together. When I starting thinking about her and let her make the decisions she started having fun, got her LTC, became a member at HSC, and started introducing her friends to the sport.

Agreed, which is why I never bought one. It is a cool, fast little round but I will take my 10/22 and AR any day of the week. OP, just get an affordable AR which you will have for the rest of your life and the ammo is nearly the same in cost, except the .223 is far more useful.

You just described the .22lr.

There's the problem. The cost of the ammo is not much more less than what you pay for .223.

I'd get a .22. I don't see why a beginning shooter would want to shoot beyond 100 yards. You want feedback on how you are doing. You want to be able to see your targets without too much hassle. If you want to challenge yourself, then make the targets smaller.

Other than maybe learning to read the wind, shooting at 100 yards doesn't get you anything that shooting at proportionally smaller targets at 25 yards can't do. (and wind drift isn't much of a factor at 100, but I thought I'd mention it in case someone throws it out.)

At 25 yards you can see your bullet holes with a $15 pair of binoculars. Instant feedback.

And if you find your gun likes blazer .22, like most of mine do. You are talking about ammo that is ONE TENTH the cost of the .17 hmr ammo. Even if you step up to CCI std velocity or CCI Mini Mags, you are still at ONE FIFTH the cost.

Finally, the OP says the .17 is not a hunting round. I disagree with this premise. Its PRIMARILY a hunting round. Most .17 shooters use them on varmints and stationary birds, not paper.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom