.22lr turning black?

Hey everyone, haven't posted in awhile but I hope you can help me out. I have some Federal .22lr ammo (the 525 round box) that I bought from Cabelas in January, used about half of it at that time and kept the other half in the box it came in. I've had it stored in a dry place since then. Took it out the other day and found the copper plated lead is turning a shinny black. Does anyone know if this is bad, nothing to be really concerned about or otherwise? Thanks for reading, and any info is greatly appreciated.

Shoot it. As long as the bullets aren't going powdery white, they should be fine.

If you get poofs instead of bangs, then the rounds got wet somehow, which could account for the color change.
.22 LR rounds are not sealed shut. Usually, you can grab the bullet, grab the brass, and easily twist. Just as easy to get moisture in there.

my dad is a half ass coin colector, he says copper can turn black from sweat or contact with sulfur ?

Most likely the black is copper sulfide from the sulfur in the carton. Sulfites are used in processing paper.
I have noticed the same phenomenon with older boxes of the copper plated/washed Federal ammo.

I have the same issue. A box of Federal 550 that I bought in 2017. The bullets have black patches on them. I just bought a SIG P322 and I'm having feeding issues as well as click no bang. This ammo has been stored in my home at 78 to 80 degrees year round. The humidity can vary quite a bit. Dry in the summer to fairly damp in the winter. I was ready to blame the gun but the first ammo I ran through the gun was CCI mini mags which ran perfectly. Next range day I'll try the bulk Federal in my Ruger SR22 it will usually run anything. I was going to upload a picture but can't figure out how to do that.

Welcome, @JerryK to NES.
Do the 'black patches" wipe off, or is it encrusted?
Follow up and let us know...

Back
Top Bottom