.22LR Training Rounds/Snap Caps

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Does anyone have any good recommendations for durable ,22LR snap caps?

I have a bunch of the plastic orange ones but the seem to break way too easily. I don't know if the "new" Pachmayr ones are any better than the older.

The A-Zoom Blue Value line seems to be good but the .22 Rimfire Action Proving Dummy Rounds are not Dry Fire Snap Caps as stated on the Lyman/A-Zoom webpage

.22 Rimfire Snap Caps | Pachmayr Snap Caps

Are there any others I should look at?

shorter life, but, cheap

View attachment 586173
I have some of the orange plastic ones and they don’t last any longer than the wall anchors.

The rims on the orange ones break off which can make extraction a pain if you don’t catch it.
The wall anchors are softer and tend to mushroom but they take way more hits than the orange snap caps in my experience

Do you really need them? I have a Ruger 22/45, SW M41 and a Browning Buckmark. When dry fired, the firing pin does not hit the breech. Put a small piece of masking tape on the breech and dry fire the gun. If it cuts or marks the tape, you should use snapcaps. Otherwise, they are not needed.

I saw some stl files on Thingerverse for 3d printing some 22lr snap caps
Was going to post this - not certain what's on thingiverse but I model up and print my own.
I may try some in TPU at 100% infill to see how long they last.
I am waiting on something to arrive which I might try to find someone with a 3D printer to copy.
PM me

Do you really need them? I have a Ruger 22/45, SW M41 and a Browning Buckmark. When dry fired, the firing pin does not hit the breech. Put a small piece of masking tape on the breech and dry fire the gun. If it cuts or marks the tape, you should use snapcaps. Otherwise, they are not needed.
It isn't always about peening the chamber
The energy that is usually delivered to the rim needs to go somewhere - sometimes the firing pin or it's stop aren't made to absorb the energy without damage

I've been using the Tipton brand. I can get around 10-12 "firings" before I toss them. I have a Ruger LCP II that I played with snapping when I first got it just getting a feel for the trigger. I know everyone is different, but I like to leave everything in the "fired" position when storing. I'm not sure how much it really matters, but my brain feels better by doing it that way.

The Hillman brand wall anchors (sold on Amazon) have changed design and are no longer suitable as 22 lr snap caps ( as people have used for years). The Everbuilt brand sold at Home Depot work well though. $6.50 will get you 150 of them.

Attachments

• 20220503_114800.jpg
    20220503_114800.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom