.22LR rifle for Rimfire Rifle League - CZ455 Tacticool

Took the 77/22 to the range today and had a surprisingly good time shooting steel with it. The factory stock isn't very comfortable, so I was thinking about getting the Boyd's Varmint stock, but that got me thinking that I should use the money for a CZ457 pro varmint instead. But my 77/22 does seem to do pretty well with Federal auto match bulk ammo.

So should I just get the stock or the CZ or both? Eventually I will need a threaded barrel for the 77/22 for when the can gets out of jail

200 yards, 4" plate, no misses....Will a CZ457 do the same, I read they are very accurate, but will they be more accurate with bulk ammo or have I reached the limits of bulk pack. Don't really have access to different high end .22 ammo here, so its really what I can buy at Academy

20190701_142549_1.jpg

Last edited:
Took the 77/22 to the range today and had a surprisingly good time shooting steel with it. The factory stock isn't very comfortable, so I was thinking about getting the Boyd's Varmint stock, but that got me thinking that I should use the money for a CZ457 pro varmint instead. But my 77/22 does seem to do pretty well with Federal auto match bulk ammo.

So should I just get the stock or the CZ or both? Eventually I will need a threaded barrel for the 77/22 for when the can gets out of jail

200 yards, 4" plate, no misses....Will a CZ457 do the same, I read they are very accurate, but will they be more accurate with bulk ammo or have I reached the limits of bulk pack. Don't really have access to different high end .22 ammo here, so its really what I can buy at Academy

View attachment 291394
The CZ455 varmint comes with the Boyd's varmint stock, is basically the same as the CZ455 Pro Trainer (except stock) and you can get it for less than $500 ($460ish at Merrimack Firearms in NH). The rifle is pretty boss for the price point.

View attachment 291394
Have you tried a varmint stock?
What does not fit about your 77/22?
Would not be to hard to turn your current stock into a "varmint" stock. Some creative filing , epoxy and some paint.
Theres no guarantee that a CZ will shoot well, moa or better that is. 2moa is easy. i know a handful of shooters with the CZs none of them run bulk. SK standard plus , Aguila super extra, lapua center X , wolf match, eley target and a few others. More or less around $6-$10 a box. For bulk shooting.

Last edited:
Have you tried a varmint stock?
What does not fit about your 77/22?
Would not be to hard to turn your current stock into a "varmint" stock. Some creative filing , epoxy and some paint.
Theres no guarantee that a CZ will shoot well, moa or better that is. 2moa is easy. i know a handful of shooters with the CZs none of them run bulk. SK standard plus , Aguila super extra, lapua center X , wolf match, eley target and a few others. More or less around $6-$10 a box. For bulk shooting.

The angle of the pistol grip. My wrist becomes painful fairly quickly. I was hoping a more vertical grip would help, either the boyd pro varmint or AT-One thumbhole.

The angle of the pistol grip. My wrist becomes painful fairly quickly. I was hoping a more vertical grip would help, either the boyd pro varmint or AT-One thumbhole.
I would at least buy the stock from a place with the best return policy.
Dont buy direct from boyds.

I can't seem to find a AT-One for the 77/22 anywhere but Boyds.
Dealing with boyds directly sucks, only thing they do well is take your money.
Hope you like the stock. They are awful on returns. Well at least for me they where.
I suffered 4 tines before I just stopped dealing with boyds.

Is your stock to short for you? If LOP is short it forces arm to odd angles.

I picked up the Boyd AT-One Thumbhole stock for the 77/2. I had to sand the shit out of it to free float my barrel. But it was worth the time and effort.

The rifle is now very comfortable to shoot. Get fairly regular hits on a 4" plate at 300 yard with bulk ammo. Now I just need to figure out what I want to do with the scope rings and mount. Using a Simmons 44 Mag scope and have run out of elevation for 300 yards. I need to use the reticle post below the Mil-dots and then adjust the power down to about 9x, down from 20x max. If I shoot standard velocity, I have to go down to almost 8x So I think a 20moa base will help, plus lower ring to get a better check weld. I was surprised at how much fun I had with this little .22

77:22 boyd.jpg

I picked up the Boyd AT-One Thumbhole stock for the 77/2. I had to sand the shit out of it to free float my barrel. But it was worth the time and effort.

The rifle is now very comfortable to shoot. Get fairly regular hits on a 4" plate at 300 yard with bulk ammo. Now I just need to figure out what I want to do with the scope rings and mount. Using a Simmons 44 Mag scope and have run out of elevation for 300 yards. I need to use the reticle post below the Mil-dots and then adjust the power down to about 9x, down from 20x max. If I shoot standard velocity, I have to go down to almost 8x So I think a 20moa base will help, plus lower ring to get a better check weld. I was surprised at how much fun I had with this little .22

View attachment 295361
Try putting a thin sheet of plastic (cut from the cover of a report
A4-colour-Plastic-Sliding-bar-transparent-report.jpg_350x350.jpg
) under the scope inside the rear ring. (Use two if needed.)

Interesting. I was thinking of trying the burris XTR signature rings with inserts for 20+ moa, since I can't find a 20 moa base
I got these for my 10/22 with the Mueller as the mueller lacks internal adjustment as it is anyway. worked good.

I tried out the burris rings, just ran out of adjustment at 200yards. I might need to try a different scope with more adjustment. I was able to use a higher magnification at 300 yards, which was nice. Might try one of my other scopes or get a SWFA SS 20x, as they are suppose to have 110 moa adjustment.

I tried out the burris rings, just ran out of adjustment at 200yards. I might need to try a different scope with more adjustment. I was able to use a higher magnification at 300 yards, which was nice. Might try one of my other scopes or get a SWFA SS 20x, as they are suppose to have 110 moa adjustment.
We need a scope thread too...... lol

Did you set the rings up right? You should pick up 40 moa with those rings?
The closer together your rings the more MOA you can get.
As long as your objective does not hit the barrel
Rings center to center 4.75" apart give even MOA adjustment.

20moa inserts
Rear ring top half -20 bottom half +20
Front ring top half +20 bottom half -20
Gives you 40 moa more adjustment.

Did you set the rings up right? You should pick up 40 moa with those rings?
The closer together your rings the more MOA you can get.
As long as your objective does not hit the barrel
Rings center to center 4.75" apart give even MOA adjustment.

20moa inserts
Rear ring top half -20 bottom half +20
Front ring top half +20 bottom half -20
Gives you 40 moa more adjustment.

Ah Ok, I only picked up one set of 20moa rings. I will will order another set and adjust the center to center.

Ah Ok, I only picked up one set of 20moa rings. I will will order another set and adjust the center to center.
The XTR rings should come with 2 sets of 20moa rings.
If you only have one set 1 -20 and 1 +20 put them in the front ring -20 bottom half +20 top half .
Also if the rings are closer to gether the moa shift is more.
The standard signature rings only come with 10s max.
You can pick upcanother 7min or so with rings 4" apart.

only warning i have is be careful as you get closer to the turrets and head torque warnings. The internals can jam if your rings are to close and to tight near the turrets.

Last edited:
Ahh yes Did that also. Buy you should becable to get 15moa with the inserts the regular rings come with

I got the other 20moa inserts and only had a few minutes to sight in since I was teaching my nephews to hit steel at 200 with a .22 AR with a 4x scope and they were hammering it just using the magazine as a rest :). They did go thru a ton of rounds

So I did a quick sight in at 50 yards and then used the 2nd mildot at 200, but I have plenty of vertical adjustment to get the crosshairs on at 200 and then be able to use more magnification at 300.

Also put in the bolt shim kit, only need a .002 shim, but we will see if there is any improvement.

I got the other 20moa inserts and only had a few minutes to sight in since I was teaching my nephews to hit steel at 200 with a .22 AR with a 4x scope and they were hammering it just using the magazine as a rest :). They did go thru a ton of rounds

So I did a quick sight in at 50 yards and then used the 2nd mildot at 200, but I have plenty of vertical adjustment to get the crosshairs on at 200 and then be able to use more magnification at 300.

Also put in the bolt shim kit, only need a .002 shim, but we will see if there is any improvement.
I have had to put bolt shims in some old worn out 22 bolt guns in the past. What did you use them for?

I have had to put bolt shims in some old worn out 22 bolt guns in the past. What did you use them for?

I read that it helps with consistent lock up since the ruger has a 2 piece bolt. Not sure if it would make a difference on a gun that was rarely shot, but for $10, I figured I would give it a try
Didn't see any increase in accuracy today due to the wind at 300y, but the 40MOA did get me to 18x up from 9x using a 200y zero and the bottom post at 300

I read that it helps with consistent lock up since the ruger has a 2 piece bolt. Not sure if it would make a difference on a gun that was rarely shot, but for $10, I figured I would give it a try
Didn't see any increase in accuracy today due to the wind at 300y, but the 40MOA did get me to 18x up from 9x using a 200y zero and the bottom post at 300
Does the shim tighten up headspace? I would think if it does you would have to shim it to pacific lots and brands of 22lr as rim thickness can vary. Even more so in less expensive ammo. So it would be hard to keep consistent results changing ammo.
I dont shoot enough or well enough to sort my 22lr by rim thickness. Some do

From the bolt shim company, since I am still learning about this stuff

How Does a Bolt Shim Work?
The actual head space is in the recessed face of the bolt. Shimming between the two bolt halves ensures the bolt is up tight against the breech. If the bolt is not up tight against the breech it tends to cause misfires and light strikes. If you are getting misfires and light strikes shimming the bolt is a good way to solve it.
Accuracy problems can sometimes be caused by a loose bolt,
Our Original TriggerShims Brand Bolt Shims can
solve accuracy problems caused by a loose bolt.

Last edited:
From the bolt shim company, since I am still learning about this stuff

How Does a Bolt Shim Work?
The actual head space is in the recessed face of the bolt. Shimming between the two bolt halves ensures the bolt is up tight against the breech. If the bolt is not up tight against the breech it tends to cause misfires and light strikes. If you are getting misfires and light strikes shimming the bolt is a good way to solve it.
Accuracy problems can sometimes be caused by a loose bolt,
Our Original TriggerShims Brand Bolt Shims can
solve accuracy problems caused by a loose bolt.
cool...well if it works its good!
had the 10/22 out recently to try some Tenex. Did not get out to 200 yards though, ran out of time.
Now all my 22s take X amount of rounds to settle when I change ammo. I have been shooting CCI standard through the 10/22 ;). So I knew it would take time to settle in. I did not touch the zero on the scope as I left it alone for the CCI
First 20 rounds I just held on center and the First 10 shot group is high and a bit loose. Expected that. I held onto the next Mil dot for the Secound group of 10. Still loose but better
z6r6muK.jpg

Third group snugged up even more, also figured out a better hold on the mil dots
uZRAYCMm.jpg

Forth group was much better but the 7th shot out to the left 9 ring was all me blew a sub moa chance then shot 9 went dead center lucky miss!
RhAGLWHm.jpg

Shot 2 more groups but it was 15 minutes before the range was going cold and I had to go and did not recover my targets. The last to groups where no better or worse with me screwing up any solid groups!

i will be going back to CCI standards as my targets are generally 2-4 moa steel at various yardage out to 200 yards

so with little wind good ammo and a nice barrel MOA is an achievable possibility.
more so ruined by our influences
NdApclnm.jpg

I have no doubt in the hands of a better shooter moa is no problem for this set up and ammo. Step down a peg or 3 from tenex and the other EXPENSIVE ammo. Getting consistent sub 2 moa is more the norm

Last edited:
I actually took the time to try different ammo in my 77/22 on paper at 50 yards instead of steel
CCI Standard seemed to do the best out of the cheaper ammo. Federal gold match was about the same. Federal Auto match did pretty well, cci mini mags were decent too Federal bulk pack 525 was a disaster
The squares are about almost 4/10th of an inch. I'm happy with this group and the others like it with my skill level

CCI standard also seem to do well in my Nordic .22 upper. ran ok. Federal 525 was so bad that I couldn't sight the gun in. Federal auto match doesn't run great. CCI mags run great with ok accuracy

CCI Standard - 1.jpg

Last edited:
I actually took the time to try different ammo in my 77/22 on paper at 50 yards instead of steel
CCI Standard seemed to do the best out of the cheaper ammo. Federal gold match was about the same. Federal Auto match did pretty well, cci mini mags were decent too Federal bulk pack 525 was a disaster
The squares are about almost 4/10th of an inch. I'm happy with this group and the others like it with my skill level

CCI standard also seem to do well in my Nordic .22 upper. ran ok. Federal 525 was so bad that I couldn't sight the gun in. Federal auto match doesn't run great. CCI mags run great with ok accuracy

View attachment 299447
for 5-7 cents a round CCI standard is tough to beat. Aguila super extra does well most times I have bought it. I dont bother with much else these days. Cant remember the last time I bought federal 22lr. bought some remington US contract from the cmp about 10 years ago ?

no specific order but its been CCI, Wolf match extra( this is now to expensive at 18 cents per) Aguila super extra , SK standard plus and RWS ... of corse there are the eley lines of club/team and force that can be had for under $10 a box

Back
Top Bottom