.22LR rifle for Rimfire Rifle League - CZ455 Tacticool

I think the problem with the savage is its stock is ill suited for bench/prone work even scoped. The action is not all that great as far as accuracy goes.
Single action screw does not lend to consistent accuracy. So keep that in mind.

Weighing 22lr ammo is a bit much unless you have a full blown match rifle and using good ammo.
You can weed out some extreme cartridges but what do you think the effect down range is with ammo thats plus minus 1 grain?

If your looking to stay under $400 you might need to search the used rack.

Savage can definitely benefit from a Boyd’s or other aftermarket stock. Trigger is great and best in class. Remember, I’m talking about a rifle with a nice scope for $400. This is something you can use now and improve over time.

Stock on the B series isn’t even all that bad on the bench. More upright pistol grip than before. Could use some heft for more serious bench shooting.

B6043DFF-2FF0-4090-8759-5472060B4B79.jpeg

+1 for the CZ's. I don't have a CZ, but some beginning shooter friends from the club have scored as high as a 94/100 on the NRA A-17 at 50 yards. They have the 455 I believe with a heavier barrel but a very basic stock.

I've scored 96's with a self-built bull barrel 10/22. The A-17 10-ring is only 0.15" diameter [shocked] but keep in mind that in order to break the outer ring you have ~1 MOA to play with.

383280.jpg

I highly recommend the BSA Sweet 22 scope with parallax adjustment, BTW.

Also agree with prior comments to play around with ammo to see what your rig 'likes'. Tenex is awesome but stupid expensive. I've had great luck with RWS Rifle Match ammo.

+1 for the CZ's. I don't have a CZ, but some beginning shooter friends from the club have scored as high as a 94/100 on the NRA A-17 at 50 yards. They have the 455 I believe with a heavier barrel but a very basic stock.

I've scored 96's with a self-built bull barrel 10/22. The A-17 10-ring is only 0.15" diameter [shocked] but keep in mind that in order to break the outer ring you have ~1 MOA to play with.

383280.jpg

Also agree with prior comments to play around with ammo to see what your rig 'likes'. Tenex is awesome but stupid expensive. I've had great luck with RWS Rifle Match ammo.
I have come to like mueller scopes.
Only thing I can say us they lack adjustment for long range so a 20 moa mount or burris signature rings will be needed for over 100 yards with 22lr
Only has 25 min of adjust from center.
For under $300 they are very good
I know of one club member with the fixed 40x target dot and I thought it was pretty good for the 10 min I got to play with it.
Ask fellow shooters and offer to pay for a box of ammo to try their scopes.
http://muelleroptics.com/products/mueller-8-32x44-side-focus-target-dot/
I also like my Sightron scope for my 22lr shooting it can focus down to 12 yards

Savage can definitely benefit from a Boyd’s or other aftermarket stock. Trigger is great and best in class. Remember, I’m talking about a rifle with a nice scope for $400. This is something you can use now and improve over time.

Stock on the B series isn’t even all that bad on the bench. More upright pistol grip than before. Could use some heft for more serious bench shooting.

View attachment 287096
Wont nock savage they generally deliver a lot for the money. I find most stocks lacking. Especially for target shooting. Boyds is the same boat but Im not a fan. The At one stock was looking promising but theres no horizontal adjustment on the comb.
My daughters rascal trigger is very good for the cost and with CCI shoots dime size groups at 25 yards with match sights

I have come to like mueller scopes.
Only thing I can say us they lack adjustment for long range so a 20 moa mount or burris signature rings will be needed for over 100 yards with 22lr
Only has 25 min of adjust from center.
For under $300 they are very good
I know of one club member with the fixed 40x target dot and I thought it was pretty good for the 10 min I got to play with it.
Ask fellow shooters and offer to pay for a box of ammo to try their scopes.
http://muelleroptics.com/products/mueller-8-32x44-side-focus-target-dot/
I also like my Sightron scope for my 22lr shooting it can focus down to 12 yards

I have Muellers on both of my savage B22s and they are fantastic. I have a swift premier on my savage a22 and it’s better.

383280.jpg

Great stuff but the sweet 22 is just ok. I have one on my sons 10-22 and it’s fine but not good enough for a CZ tacticool in my opinion. Agree parallax adjustments is a must

So now we are at optics.....

Swift premium
Mueller
Sightron
Nikon
Vortex
Bushnell

I have cash now, sold all my .40 ammo LMAO (I traded my .40 towards the rifle)

For 50 yard, little ass targets, what multiplication should I look for?

Swift premium
Mueller
Sightron

Premier. Check em out. White feather turned me on to them and he’s a state champ

714C80E1-011C-4CA1-B5A4-1B3B587045EA.jpeg
Premier. Check em out. White feather turned me on to them and he’s a state champ

Also. Happy to let you try
What power?

My Swift is 4-12. I’d say go 12 or maybe higher. My Muellers go to 16 and that’s nice. I’m more than happy to let you check them all out if you want to do a range trip. The mueller with 50mm objective <3

Last edited:
View attachment 287145

Also. Happy to let you try

My Swift is 4-12. I’d say go 12 or maybe higher. My Muellers go to 16 and that’s nice. I’m more than happy to let you check them all out if you want to do a range trip. The mueller with 50mm objectivity <3
I have a cheap Simmons 3-9x32, a Vortex Scout 2- 7x32 and a Nikon P223 3x32

I'll be honest, I'm not sure I understand the numbers very well, especially the first number before the dash lol

I have a cheap Simmons 3-9x32, a Vortex Scout 2- 7x32 and a Nikon P223 3x32

I'll be honest, I'm not sure I understand the numbers very well, especially the first number before the dash lol

First number is lowest magnification. Second is highest and last is objective. Bigger objective means more light coming in.

Adjustable parallax is really a must for any serious bench shooting. The BSA isn’t junk if your budget is <$100. The parallax is key.

Last edited:
Excellent. So the Nikon I have is a 0 lowest mag?
The Nikon is a fixed 3x magnification.
IMHO the reticle is going to be more important than the magnification. You are shooting a known distance at a tiny target that is round.
active_target_reticle.jpg
I only use iron sights for bench rest and have a globe insert out front. A couple of the other shooters at the range use Nikon and the reticle is like this. Your eye can easily center a circle within a circle. That's why I use a globe insert. And I score better than some of the people with scopes.

Swift premium
Mueller
Sightron
Nikon
Vortex
Bushnell

Optics are really a mess to figure out.
Dont get to hung up on magnification as many "budget" scopes fail on clarity and resolution on higher mag levels.
I would say for bench rest , the more clearly you can see your target and bullet holes and how well your reticle appears on the target are key.
My sightron has a .25 moa dot on 24x and .188 on 32x
my Sightron scope is a bit big and heavy vs the Mueller.
Its a great scope but I dont need $800-1200 on each rifle.
for what I do and the rifles i put the muellers on they are OK+

now me if I where setting up my new cz tacticool I would at least start my scope choices in the $500 range and a really nice mount.
Theres a ton of OK scopes out there.
HAwke, mueller top my list for that $2-300 range.
They tend to have basic reticles and small/thin subtensions.
i have a few other scopes also.
If your trying to run a wide range of use. I would go for simple reticles, good glass clarity and resolution and higher X for target.

I like watching these guys with 22lr know your limit stuff
Long Range Shooters of Utah

Last edited:
I like crosshairs with a dot at intersection. Less eye strain. Used to shoot Expert International 3 position using PMC std velocity target ammo at $1/box. And this was also good for same Expert at 50 yd and 100 yards for Dwello match portion of Outside 1600's and 3200's. Eley tenex has glass beads in the powder that slows the burn rate down, but these glass beads prematurely wear your otherwise multi lifetime barrel out of a very high priced rifle. The breaking point for using Eley Tenex and actually seeing a difference is in the Master class. I believe what people are using now is Aguilla target std velocity. Probably $2.50 to $3.50 box bought by the case.

I like crosshairs with a dot at intersection. Less eye strain. Used to shoot Expert International 3 position using PMC std velocity target ammo at $1/box. And this was also good for same Expert at 50 yd and 100 yards for Dwello match portion of Outside 1600's and 3200's. Eley tenex has glass beads in the powder that slows the burn rate down, but these glass beads prematurely wear your otherwise multi lifetime barrel out of a very high priced rifle. The breaking point for using Eley Tenex and actually seeing a difference is in the Master class. I believe what people are using now is Aguilla target std velocity. Probably $2.50 to $3.50 box bought by the case.
I have heard the glass bead thing a few times over the years.
I would wonder just how many shots it takes to wear out the barrel. I know generally you wont see barrel wear on a 22lr
Your point of seeing the difference in tenex is good. Most of use wont see the added cost to improvement vs something a bit less expensive. Is tenex more consistent out of my 513t ...sure is. Do I see a huge swing in position shooting use it? No.
CCI standard and SK standard plus is about where my skills/equipment pan out. Problem with tenex is if you do try it and it shoots very well your either stuck buying more or now have to settle.
Ammo I have shot clean scores on a SR 3moa ten ring target at 200 yards no wind
Tenex, eley match , CCI sv, wolf match, rws 50, lapua pistol, aguila super extra - pre 2010 manufactured. US contracted Remington 22lr from the cmp lot number looks like 1994 . Stuff shoots pretty darn well and worth the .025¢ round shipped.

Right now my 3 22s I shoot im running
10\22 custom - CCI sv - this particular lot is holding MOA
513t - older lot of Centerion Gold eagle SV target made by aquila
AR upper by Tactical Solutions- been running the cmp remington surplus stuff for 2" -4" steel at 100 yards.

What ever ammo you try when you find a good one buy as much as the same lot number as possible.

Remember when manufacture test ammo they use a "accuracy" barrel in very controlled environments.

Heres a older 22lr test. Just be mindful they use a Blieker rifle which start at around $7500 and looks like a Leopold Comp serries scope at $1800. Fun stuff
.22LR Rimfire Ammo
looks like blieker went up a tad over the years
.22 Rifle Challenger Sport, Pardini Guns USA Store

If you do get the eley bug you can always take a trip out to eley in texas and find a perfect lot and buy a life time supply.

ELey test range
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jOWQSetTU4&t=1s

Lapua also

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdn6oYae52I

Last edited:
What about vortex? I get pretty good deals on their stuff....
You need to get behind some glass and see how the reticle looks. Most vortex are to busy for my taste. Also Vortex reticles seem to be a ghost gray vs black and I just dont like it. Other than that they are decent scopes.

Back
Top Bottom