.22LR rifle for Rimfire Rifle League - CZ455 Tacticool

You can always show up with one of these
Savage Arms - RASCAL HARDWOOD G

My daughters rascal will get under 1” at 50 yards with just aqulia extra. Need to test it with some nice ammo.

Oh testing ammo can miss leading . Most of my rifles need 10-15 rounds min to settle in or season the bore each time I change ammo type. “Clean” barrels might take longer.

I'm going to run the circuit this weekend. I can hit several locations without really going out of the way of my final destination:

Merrimack Firearms
Collectables
Shooters
Reilley's
The Barn Store

Etc. to see what everyone has for used.

One round per square not including top (sight in is top row of 4):

View attachment 286562

View attachment 286564

View attachment 286619

Inner circle is 10

Bench shooting, front supported by bag, rear is shoulder only, scoped.
Its for fun but no reason to mot get some good gear and ammo.
So you say your shooting 200/250 thats a average score of 8 . Thats not terrible. So you know if your missing the score ring all together its all you.
The savage you use, ask a known good shooter to shoot your set up and see how consistent the set up shoots?

Im a fan of “target” scopes with small crass hairs or dots
Like the weaver T series mentioned. They have ones with 1/16 moa dots so at 50 yards the dot covers only 1/8th inch meaning you can place the dot inside your last bullet hole or on that center dot of the target

Its for fun but no reason to mot get some good gear and ammo.
So you say your shooting 200/250 thats a average score of 8 . Thats not terrible. So you know if your missing the score ring all together its all you.
The savage you use, ask a known good shooter to shoot your set up and see how consistent the set up shoots?

Im a fan of “target” scopes with small crass hairs or dots
Like the weaver T series mentioned. They have ones with 1/16 moa dots so at 50 yards the dot covers only 1/8th inch meaning you can place the dot inside your last bullet hole or on that center dot of the target

I'm not shooting over 200. In fact, last Monday was 171. My highest was a 196. My BiL is averaging over 200, but it's his firearm, and gets consistent practice. That's what I am missing, consistent practice because I don't have a rifle. That's what I'm looking to do, get my own set up, so I can practice consistently, score a bit better, etc.

So I have a 10/22 Take down, but haven't used it because I was afraid I would keep knocking the optic out of zero taking it apart and packing it every time (not to mention that I bought it for my son to use). Would it be worth my while to just set it up and put it in a regular bag rather than taking it apart all the time?

Also, what if I put it in a Boyds gunstock, zero'd the optic, and just rolled with that?

So I have a 10/22 Take down, but haven't used it because I was afraid I would keep knocking the optic out of zero taking it apart and packing it every time (not to mention that I bought it for my son to use). Would it be worth my while to just set it up and put it in a regular bag rather than taking it apart all the time?

Also, what if I put it in a Boyds gunstock, zero'd the optic, and just rolled with that?
It all comes down to how repeatedly accurate it is. Chances are, it's not going to be. I know some 10/22T's have been worked up to shoot 250's, but I believe you are better off with a solid bolt rifle.

Any heavy barreled rifle with a decent trigger (preferably 2 stage) will get you where you need to go.
My daughters savage will run just as well as my anschutz.
Like Mac said, find a brand of ammo that the rifle likes and shoots well with. What works great in one might vomit out of the other.

I might even break the henry out for the next egg shoot, just to see how it runs

Short answer: No. Longer, better answer: maybe, but probably not.

No part of the 10/22 takedown rifle was engineered to shoot 1 MOA, which is .5" at 50 yards. The same holds true for any base model 10/22, but the fact that it is a takedown makes it even less likely to be that rare exceptionally good shooter. The 10/22 rifles that shoot very accurately cost more than your budget, and share very few components with your rifle.

Note that I am not criticizing the 10/22. I like them a lot, but it is not a good fit for your specific purpose. If you were focused on position shooting from standing, sitting, kneeling, and prone, then a 2 or 3 MOA rifle would be good enough for a while. And for a fun plinker, a 10/22 is hard to beat. But if you try to make it something it isn't, you'll just be frustrated.

Your plan to look through available used guns is a better way to spend your budget. You might also look in the classifieds here, or post a "want to buy."

I have an Anschutz 1408 (1407 ?) I'm thinking about selling, but it would be double your $400 budget. Guaranteed 240-250 shooter, though.
I also have a Kimber 82G, but I don't think they are up to the task of Benchrest, so I wouldn't recommend them.

IIRC outback arms down here in MA had a win 52 with a weaver T for $800. Along with a few other older target 22s. I believe they where all where owned by a very successful 22 match shooter.?
Dont waste time with the 10/22. It cost me over $400 in stock and barrels and .15¢+ a round to get 1 moa. Mean while my daughters savage rascal gets close to moa and has almost as good of a trigger.
If anything use your 10/22 to practice with as you add to your budget.
Also dont be affraid to grab a decent target air rifle. The added practice at home will be a huge gain. I bought a 853 from the cmp and its a darn good shooter. Not MOA but it will show on target when your not adhering to the basics.
Its the only practice I get.
Then you need to accept your scores for what they are with lack of practice and gear.
Good luck, keep us posted.

Oh start with some of the guys you see shooting good at your club. You might find a shooter looking to up grade. You can find good deals sometimes.

All this 22 talk has my memory pinging.
I remember way back when i shot 22 at the club as a kid 8-13 yrs old. The instructor (90% of us used club guns) would not let you use a "good" rifle until you reached a certain level with the the "not so good" guns.
We had all sorts of guns Rem 5XX, old mossy's, a few marlins and a handful of Savage Branded anchutz.
Also had a few really nice Win52, Anchutz and Rem 40.
Anyway i remeber how he would tell us and our parents what to look for when buying a rifle.
1. Bolt should have actual locking lugs.
2. Nice solid stock( composite stocks where not big back then ) even better stocks with lineres.
3. At least 2 action screws
4. Heavy barrel free floated-_all though he would say free floating is not always needed.
Back then we shot gun club target for practice I think most was remington and winchester. The cool kid with thier own rifles shot the green tag and "match" ammo. Pretty much eley.

I need to get a few of my 22s out and give them some testing with some tenex i bought last year.

Putting it in a boyds stock will not guaranty anything.
Im not a huge boyds stock fan. If anything for a "budget rifle" I would buy a heavy barrel savage mkII/93 action and drop it in a Boyds At-One stock only because its the least expensive stock out there with some comb and LOP adjustment.

I have an Anschutz 1408 (1407 ?) I'm thinking about selling, but it would be double your $400 budget. Guaranteed 240-250 shooter, though.
I also have a Kimber 82G, but I don't think they are up to the task of Benchrest, so I wouldn't recommend them.

Why wouldn't the Kimber be good?

IIRC outback arms down here in MA had a win 52 with a weaver T for $800. Along with a few other older target 22s. I believe they where all where owned by a very successful 22 match shooter.?
Dont waste time with the 10/22. It cost me over $400 in stock and barrels and .15¢+ a round to get 1 moa. Mean while my daughters savage rascal gets close to moa and has almost as good of a trigger.
If anything use your 10/22 to practice with as you add to your budget.
Also dont be affraid to grab a decent target air rifle. The added practice at home will be a huge gain. I bought a 853 from the cmp and its a darn good shooter. Not MOA but it will show on target when your not adhering to the basics.
Its the only practice I get.
Then you need to accept your scores for what they are with lack of practice and gear.
Good luck, keep us posted.

Oh start with some of the guys you see shooting good at your club. You might find a shooter looking to up grade. You can find good deals sometimes.

Good feedback here. I bought the 10/22 Takedown for the boy, and would hate to do all that and claim it for myself. I think I'm going to call this season a wash, continue using the brother in law's rifle until I can adjust my budget upwards and buy that sweet ass CZ457 At-One

All this 22 talk has my memory pinging.
I remember way back when i shot 22 at the club as a kid 8-13 yrs old. The instructor (90% of us used club guns) would not let you use a "good" rifle until you reached a certain level with the the "not so good" guns.
We had all sorts of guns Rem 5XX, old mossy's, a few marlins and a handful of Savage Branded anchutz.
Also had a few really nice Win52, Anchutz and Rem 40.
Anyway i remeber how he would tell us and our parents what to look for when buying a rifle.
1. Bolt should have actual locking lugs.
2. Nice solid stock( composite stocks where not big back then ) even better stocks with lineres.
3. At least 2 action screws
4. Heavy barrel free floated-_all though he would say free floating is not always needed.
Back then we shot gun club target for practice I think most was remington and winchester. The cool kid with thier own rifles shot the green tag and "match" ammo. Pretty much eley.

I need to get a few of my 22s out and give them some testing with some tenex i bought last year.

Lot's of good info

Putting it in a boyds stock will not guaranty anything.
Im not a huge boyds stock fan. If anything for a "budget rifle" I would buy a heavy barrel savage mkII/93 action and drop it in a Boyds At-One stock only because its the least expensive stock out there with some comb and LOP adjustment.

Your input, as well as everyone else's, has been fantastic.

Why wouldn't the Kimber be good?

It has the accuracy for Position shooting, but Benchrest demands a lot more accuracy than the Kimber 82G can provide. It'd work, if you already had one, but again, I wouldn't purposely go out and buy one for Benchrerst shooting. They also cost anywhere between $600-$900, so your money is better spent on a good, used Anschutz 54, Win 52, etc..

It has the accuracy for Position shooting, but Benchrest demands a lot more accuracy than the Kimber 82G can provide. It'd work, if you already had one, but again, I wouldn't purposely go out and buy one for Benchrerst shooting. They also cost anywhere between $600-$900, so your money is better spent on a good, used Anschutz 54, Win 52, etc..
Makes sense.

Things that will help your game, even with tremors are:
1. A good match to ammo.

Best advice!

In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, the gun will have a blind preference for one ammo over another. The difference can be pretty significant, and it's often not the most expensive ammo that your gun prefers. The real .22 accuracy nuts go to the store and buy 1 small box of several different types and head straight to the range to evaluate. When they decide which is best, they note the batch# printed somewhere on the box and go back to the store and clean them out of that ammo with that batch#.

I taught juniors for years. The rifles were Remington 513T and could drive 100 points out of 100 possible points if the kids concentrated. The ammo was the key. We tried many a make and many a price, but the thing was that one ammo would greatly out preform another. The above quote is top line info.

My Mueller 4.5-14x with adjustable objective is a great scope for 50 yard shooting. I can see .22 round holes at 100 yards with it.

My Sig 522 is pretty accurate, should be cause it weighs like 9 lbs. it’s heavier than my BCM 14.5”. Got it for like $300, wouldn’t pay more than that.

Best advice!

I taught juniors for years. The rifles were Remington 513T and could drive 100 points out of 100 possible points if the kids concentrated. The ammo was the key. We tried many a make and many a price, but the thing was that one ammo would greatly out preform another. The above quote is top line info.
Back then you where most likely shooting a A31 target where 10 ring is 2moa?

used you can pretty easily find older match sporter stock style rifles all the big names use to make them , current new options Savage and CZ make them

Back
Top Bottom