.22LR rifle for Rimfire Rifle League - CZ455 Tacticool

So I joined the .22LR Rimfire Rifle League at my club. I don't have a good .22 rifle so I have been using my BiL's Savage with a Tasco Scope, but I feel as though I should have my own. I have a .22 Take Down with a cheap scope on it that my son uses, but I'd like something dedicated, so I'm open to suggestions.

League play is 50 yards using the IBS 50yd Rifle target. I can't seem to break 200, but I think that is more of an issue with my eyesight and tremors than anything else. In fact, my highest score was 195, and that was week 1. It's been all downhill since then.

Now, I'm not exactly the most competitive person when it comes to shooting, I like to go and just have fun, but I feel as though I should be hitting at LEAST in the 190s.

6/5: Updated - Ordered a CZ 455 Varmit Tacticool Suppressor Ready

Last edited:
What position are you shooting in?
I never shot those targets but they are 1” circles with a small center 0?
How are they scored.

If your shooting for fun and theres no rapid fire stages I would look for a older used full size 22lr rifle.

No need to go crazy its a 2 moa circle and your trying to hit in the center

Depending on budget Savage had several offerings toss a nice scope on top use above average ammo and start shooting.

CZ is a very good place to look for rimfire also.
Theres a ton of good old 22s out there.
Theres a lot of remington “teen” rifles out there 513 514 ect ect

Last edited:
What position are you shooting in?
I never shot those targets but they are 1” circles with a small center 0?
How are they scored.

If your shooting for fun and theres no rapid fire stages I would look for a older used full size 22lr rifle.

No need to go crazy its a 2 moa circle and your trying to hit in the center

Depending on budget Savage had several offerings toss a nice scope on top use above average ammo and start shooting.

CZ is a very good place to look for rimfire also.
Theres a ton of good old 22s out there.
Theres a lot of remington “teen” rifles out there 513 514 ect ect
One round per square not including top (sight in is top row of 4):

IBS 50.jpg

IMG_6541.jpg

IMG_6692.jpg

Inner circle is 10

Bench shooting, front supported by bag, rear is shoulder only, scoped.

Last edited:
And to be completely honest, most of my issues are breathing/tremor/wind, so I expect any rifle will do, as long as I can sight the scope in decently (that I can do)

League play is 50 yards using the IBS 50yd Rifle target. I can't seem to break 200, but I think that is more of an issue with my eyesight and tremors than anything else. In fact, my highest score was 195, and that was week 1. It's been all downhill since then.
when i joined the greater boston pistol league i sucked. i had to learn to shoot bullseye pistol cause it was so different from any type of shooting i was use to. many, many hours of practice and many different guns i burned through. had to learn breathing control and holding a sight picture as well as learning when to put the gun down in slow fire as to not pull the shot. it took 2 years before my score finally counted in a match. i still remember that night! at a beginning level of competitive shooting, i think one should focus on fundamentals and not the equipment. while i shot in the league, a guy on my team shot his last set of targets to qualify for nra master...he use to shoot an out of the box ruger mk I. sooo..... have fun and good luck!

I started bullseye pistol last fall. The first week I scored 185 (out of a possible 300). My score continued to decline thereafter. Everyone tells me I should get the trigger done, I should get a red dot, I should get a scope, I should get .....

I'm not interested in spending any money until MY shooting improves. I don't care if the gun shoots better, if I don't.

I started bullseye pistol last fall. The first week I scored 185 (out of a possible 300). My score continued to decline thereafter. Everyone tells me I should get the trigger done, I should get a red dot, I should get a scope, I should get .....

I'm not interested in spending any money until MY shooting improves. I don't care if the gun shoots better, if I don't.
Rimfire pistol is right after rifle. Amazingly, I'm much better with a pistol. Then again, the tremors started fairly recently....

Its hard to tell anyone what they need. Especislly for 50 yard bench rest.
For bench rest some will say this is a beginners rifle
F27A Benchrest BR-50 Walnut

Im digging the CZ 455/457 varmint
Holy crap, even in $CA that's some cake.

On league night I've seen a lot of thumb hole style rifles with pricy glass and hitting sub 200. A few guys using some old rifles and driving tacks. I'm just looking to have a stable platform, ability to put a scope on there (I have a cheap Simmons 3-9x32, a Vortex Scout 2- 7x32 and a Nikon P223 3x32 to choose from in my drawer), bolt action mag fed rifle.

That CZ is friggen sweet.

I have not tried the rimfire rifle game described in this thread, but I will still offer my perspective. This game is really a variant on benchrest shooting, and as such, it really is an equipment based game. This is very different from bullseye pistol in an important way. Most entry level bullseye pistols easily have the accuracy to shoot perfect scores. Every Ruger Mark .22 pistol that I have personally tested will hold the 10 ring on on a slowfire bullseye target if shot from a rest. And I suspect that most of them will hold the X ring with ammo that they like. This means that moderately priced equipment is a great way to get started, and has the potential of very good scores.

Rimfire benchrest is a bit different. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like the 10 ring for this game is about .5". It takes a good .22 rifle, with ammo that it likes, to hold .5" at 50 yards. Many "pretty good" .22 rifles will only hold .75" at 50 yards, or will only hold .5" with one type of ammo. And to hit a .5" circle many times in a row, you really need a rifle that is mechanically capable of an even smaller group.

I don't know of any .22 rifles under $500 which are guaranteed to hold .5" at 50 yards, but there are some moderately priced rifles which are likely to do so. CZ comes to mind, but I recommend researching on rimfirecentral.com, where you will find lots of people testing .22 rifles for 50 yard precision. For more money, and some accuracy guarantees, you could look at Anschutz, but again, rimfirecentral will have the best advice about specific models.

Some people may say that a rifle which almost holds the 10 ring, but not quite, is good enough for getting started. That does work for some people, but it does not work well for me. I shoot better when I know the firearm can outshoot me. I know that my performance should be the same regardless of how the firearm turns out to perform, but it never quite works out that way.

I have not tried the rimfire rifle game described in this thread, but I will still offer my perspective. This game is really a variant on benchrest shooting, and as such, it really is an equipment based game. This is very different from bullseye pistol in an important way. Most entry level bullseye pistols easily have the accuracy to shoot perfect scores. Every Ruger Mark .22 pistol that I have personally tested will hold the 10 ring on on a slowfire bullseye target if shot from a rest. And I suspect that most of them will hold the X ring with ammo that they like. This means that moderately priced equipment is a great way to get started, and has the potential of very good scores.

Rimfire benchrest is a bit different. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like the 10 ring for this game is about .5". It takes a good .22 rifle, with ammo that it likes, to hold .5" at 50 yards. Many "pretty good" .22 rifles will only hold .75" at 50 yards, or will only hold .5" with one type of ammo. And to hit a .5" circle many times in a row, you really need a rifle that is mechanically capable of an even smaller group.

I don't know of any .22 rifles under $500 which are guaranteed to hold .5" at 50 yards, but there are some moderately priced rifles which are likely to do so. CZ comes to mind, but I recommend researching on rimfirecentral.com, where you will find lots of people testing .22 rifles for 50 yard precision. For more money, and some accuracy guarantees, you could look at Anschutz, but again, rimfirecentral will have the best advice about specific models.

Some people may say that a rifle which almost holds the 10 ring, but not quite, is good enough for getting started. That does work for some people, but it does not work well for me. I shoot better when I know the firearm can outshoot me. I know that my performance should be the same regardless of how the firearm turns out to perform, but it never quite works out that way.
Great post, thank you!

I did that (.22 pistol) over at WP&R Club, many moons ago. Was fun. Some of those guys were a bit TOO into it, though. I was just doing it for fun. Different types of fun, I guess. Mine involved my own skills, theirs involved outspending their buddy.

bsa parker hale martini international match 22lr-1000x1335.jpg this is what I shoot bench rest with.
BSA Martini International. It does quite a lovely job of tacking the center of the scoring ring. This rifle is good at keeping the sand bags from blowing away on the windy days.
Some (of the many) things to keep in mind. Equipment is important, but you can't buy accuracy. A heavy rifle is more important than you think.
Find the ammo that works best with your rifle. It probably won't be thunderbolts.
Use your sighters but don't be discouraged by them. The first two shots will warm up the barrel and will be off center.
I barely touch the rifle. It sits on the rest and the sandbag and I feather the trigger. It's set to about 1.25 lbs. Don't slam the breech shut.
Don't get too hung up.on the wind. If you obsess over the flags it will throw your concentration.

I’ve got a Savage B22 that might fit the bill. I bought a second with a threaded barrel so I’ll probably be putting the original up soon. Target trigger spring installed.

some good suggestions above for sure. The CZ is a great gun out of the box but there are other good performers new and used that can be had for $500-$600. ( you can easily spend $2000+ if you really want)

Things that will help your game, even with tremors are:
1. A good match to ammo. even a great gun can have a bad day with the wrong ammo. A decent gun will have a great day with ammo it likes, This is a big part of the game. Don't expect a lot out of bulk ammo. You don't need to spend a fortune on high-end ammo either. You will need to spend time finding ammo for whatever gun you end up shooting.
2. A match grade trigger. 2 lb,1lb or several oz trigger pulls are common for good shooters. This will improve your score. Some guns have a light trigger already, some adjustable, some will need a retrofit. A 10/22 with an aftermarket trigger can be a very good shooter.
3. A heavy barrel will shoot more consistently. Often there are different classes for shooters. Sporter and match are common. The match being a heavier barrel. Again aftermarket barrels are available to upgrade many guns should you choose to shoot match grade.
4. The receiver is important, the CZ had a match grade receiver, the 10/22 does not. It will help when the game is measured in fractions and "x"s.
5. Practice, practice, practice. There are great instructions available written and video like Youtube that can improve your game, Use them and practice.

some good suggestions above for sure. The CZ is a great gun out of the box but there are other good performers new and used that can be had for $500-$600. ( you can easily spend $2000+ if you really want)

Things that will help your game, even with tremors are:
1. A good match to ammo. even a great gun can have a bad day with the wrong ammo. A decent gun will have a great day with ammo it likes, This is a big part of the game. Don't expect a lot out of bulk ammo. You don't need to spend a fortune on high-end ammo either. You will need to spend time finding ammo for whatever gun you end up shooting.
2. A match grade trigger. 2 lb,1lb or several oz trigger pulls are common for good shooters. This will improve your score. Some guns have a light trigger already, some adjustable, some will need a retrofit. A 10/22 with an aftermarket trigger can be a very good shooter.
3. A heavy barrel will shoot more consistently. Often there are different classes for shooters. Sporter and match are common. The match being a heavier barrel. Again aftermarket barrels are available to upgrade many guns should you choose to shoot match grade.
4. The receiver is important, the CZ had a match grade receiver, the 10/22 does not. It will help when the game is measured in fractions and "x"s.
5. Practice, practice, practice. There are great instructions available written and video like Youtube that can improve your game, Use them and practice.
Another great post, thanks!!

A scope with adjustable paralax is as important as your rifle or ammo. Personally, I think 15x or 20x is about right (for the minimum power needed). Kimber 82 Government is fairly reasonably priced. Also look for an older 54 Anschutz or 54 Savage Anschutz. Remington made some excellent .22 rifles. As noted above, the teens were good. Also 541 T or S, and 40x are great. Swift makes a reasonably priced variable scope that gets to 24x or 32x. Weaver has the KT15 and a
T 36x for not too much money. I always buy my scopes (both new and second hand) from ebay. You can save a bunch of money and you will not have a problem. Ammunition is the most frustrating part... I am amused when someone says that their rifle shoots .22 cci HV as well as Eley 10x. While I believe them, 10x is capable of groups much much smaller. It just sucks to look at five shot groups that cost $2.00. RWS makes some decent mid$$ ammo like Rifle Match. CCI green tag used to be good for the money. Look at KSS Kiloughs (sp? On my phone)in Texas or Champions Choice in TN for decent ammo/everything you need. Good luck. .22 benchrest is both a lot of fun and a lot of frustration at the same time. [cheers]

Last edited:
Holy crap, even in $CA that's some cake.

On league night I've seen a lot of thumb hole style rifles with pricy glass and hitting sub 200. A few guys using some old rifles and driving tacks. I'm just looking to have a stable platform, ability to put a scope on there (I have a cheap Simmons 3-9x32, a Vortex Scout 2- 7x32 and a Nikon P223 3x32 to choose from in my drawer), bolt action mag fed rifle.

That CZ is friggen sweet.
Your going to want a nice scope with thin crosshairs or just a dot. Those cheap scopes the cross hairs consume the target.

If your looking to just have fun try anything you have on hand.
Try a few different types of ammo - I would suggest at least
SK standard plus, eley club or stuff in the $6-$10 range
Buy a few thousand rounds of the best shooting stuff and after you shoot those 2k rounds or so come back and decide if you want to jump deeper.

SAVAGE MARK I-FVT is a good choice. You might even try ditching the scope and using the peep sight that comes with it. Your vision through the sight is actually better than without because of the way light is focus on your eye as it passes through the peep makes it easier.

Rimfire Benchrest is all about the equipment. Shooter input is at a minimum. Yes, you need to test, read wind a little, and squeeze the trigger, but for the most part, it's the rifle that shoots the score.
Win 52 at a minimum.
Anschutz 54 is a solid standard.
Remington 40x is capable.
The sky is the limit from there.

Savage, CZ, 10-22, etc can be used if that's what you already have, but nobody in that game will suggest you go out and buy one.

The BIG QUESTION: what's your budget for this rifle?

First: Thank you everyone for your input. I'm a novice in regards to "competitive shooting", and this is informative.

Second: When I say "benchrest", I'm using the term loosely. By "benchrest", I am saying we shoot with support via bags or bi-pods on the front only. The rear is shoulder support only. We can run any optic we want. It's pretty "loosey goosey".

Third: I am currently using my brother in law's Savage Mark II that he picked up for under $200. He has a Walmart Tasco 3-9x40 on it.

Budget: As I said, this is a pretty loosey goosey rimfire rifle league. I think I'm in 9th place out of a field of 18, so I'm (not) doing half bad for using a borrowed rifle with limited practice due to the rifle's availability. I'm looking to stay under $400 honestly, and if I can find a solid used rifle, I'm good with that. I'm probably never going to do more than this style of rimfire rifle shooting for score. I will be doing rimfire pistol, but I am set up for that.

My brother in law gets a lot more time at the range, and he is wicked data driven. He even weighs his ammunition used for the match play. I just don't have as much time as him to do stuff like that. I wish I did, but I'm the kid taxi right now....

Last edited:
In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, the gun will have a blind preference for one ammo over another. The difference can be pretty significant, and it's often not the most expensive ammo that your gun prefers. The real .22 accuracy nuts go to the store and buy 1 small box of several different types and head straight to the range to evaluate. When they decide which is best, they note the batch# printed somewhere on the box and go back to the store and clean them out of that ammo with that batch#.

Gentleman at my range in Chester was shooting this the other day. I was more than impressed. 5 shot groups inside a nickel at 100 yards. I had a 455, this is next level 455.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI_ZhRrtKwE

Again, what's your price range? i think this is an $800 .22

edit: see you put that price range info up, this is still cool ass rifle!

Gentleman at my range in Chester was shooting this the other day. I was more than impressed. 5 shot groups inside a nickel at 100 yards. I had a 455, this is next level 455.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI_ZhRrtKwE

Again, what's your price range? i think this is an $800 .22

edit: see you put that price range info up, this is still cool ass rifle!

Yes it is. Maybe if I could find a used one.

I think the problem with the savage is its stock is ill suited for bench/prone work even scoped. The action is not all that great as far as accuracy goes.
Single action screw does not lend to consistent accuracy. So keep that in mind.

Weighing 22lr ammo is a bit much unless you have a full blown match rifle and using good ammo.
You can weed out some extreme cartridges but what do you think the effect down range is with ammo thats plus minus 1 grain?

If your looking to stay under $400 you might need to search the used rack.

Back
Top Bottom