.22LR MEGA THREAD!

enbloc

Life Member Emeritus
NES Life Member
NES Member
I am not familiar with this offering from Federal but ordered a box for range fodder. I'll let you know what I think when I shoot it...

$65.99/case of 1600
$0.04/round

108502.jpg

Federal Black Pack 22 Long Rifle Ammo 36 Grain Copper Plated Round Nose 1600 Rounds review Federal 22 Long Rifle is new production ammo featuring a 36 grain copper plated HOLLOW-POINT bullet. It was crafted as practice ammo and is the perfect choice for an inexpensive target and practice round for hitting the range with. These rounds are even packaged in a sealed can to prevent corrosion during long term storage. You can be sure you practice rounds are every bit as reliable and accurate as ammo labeled for competition. Federal ammo is packaged in cases of 1600 rounds. Free shipping is available on bulk orders of this Federal 22 Long Rifle ammo.

Last edited:
I got that email too and was this close ll to buying but I've spent a bunch on AR stuff already this month and would like to stay married.:D

Just kidding on the staying married part.....my wife knows what's what and is totally onboard.

Lol. Yeah this appears to be a new offering from Federal and at $0.04/round you can't go wrong with a major manufacturer.
I'll post some pix when I get it. It comes in "Sealed" containers, so that is a Plus.

The description from Federal does not mention if it is hollow point or solid.
The grain size is 36 which is typically a HP weight from Federal, with the 40 grain being a solid.
~Matt

EDIT: These are HOLLOW-POINT 36-grain.

Last edited:
I am not familiar with this offering from Federal but ordered a box for range fodder. I'll let you know what I think when I shoot it...

$65.99/case of 1600
$0.04/round

108502.jpg

Federal Black Pack 22 Long Rifle Ammo 36 Grain Copper Plated Round Nose 1600 Rounds review Federal 22 Long Rifle is new production ammo featuring a 36 grain copper plated round nosed bullet. It was crafted as practice ammo and is the perfect choice for an inexpensive target and practice round for hitting the range with. These rounds are even packaged in a sealed can to prevent corrosion during long term storage. You can be sure you practice rounds are every bit as reliable and accurate as ammo labeled for competition. Federal ammo is packaged in cases of 1600 rounds. Free shipping is available on bulk orders of this Federal 22 Long Rifle ammo.
1600 round case is the new 5000 ?
I like to see 5k round cases with 1000 round sealed mini ammo cans like the HXP cans

Lol. Yeah this appears to be a new offering from Federal and at $0.04/round you can't go wrong with a major manufacturer.
I'll post some pix when I get it. It comes in "Sealed" containers, so that is a Plus.

The description from Federal does not mention if it is hollow point or solid.
The grain size is 36 which is typically a HP weight from Federal, with the 40 grain being a solid.
~Matt

It does say "round nose" in the first line of the written description under the pic. I was looking at that also, but I really don't need it. Look forward to the range report.

It does say "round nose" in the first line of the written description under the pic. I was looking at that also, but I really don't need it. Look forward to the range report.

Good eyes. I saw that to but thought it might be a "cut and paste" artifact. I'll let you know.
~Matt

Great find Maddawg! I did not see that before.

I ordered a case of the Aguila Super Extra 40grn, RN Copper plated.

Why?

Who else remembers what the first ammo caliber to "run out" in panic buying was?... [smile]

~Matt

My only complaint is that its very dirty.

From my limited experience, most .22 is pretty darn dirty. That said, I’m currently running through some 18 year old Remington Thunderbolt, CCI stinger and Aquila Supermax. The only failure to fires have come from the Aquila. They were all stored in a Sentry safe at my mothers house. The other two run fine, just damn dirty.

From my limited experience, most .22 is pretty darn dirty. That said, I’m currently running through some 18 year old Remington Thunderbolt, CCI stinger and Aquila Supermax. The only failure to fires have come from the Aquila. They were all stored in a Sentry safe at my mothers house. The other two run fine, just damn dirty.
You are correct Sir. I just find particularly dirtier/leave a weird granular grit.

I must be a .22 snob but I try to only shoot mini mags now. It just goes bang every time in all my guns.

My 1st preference is CCI minimags, then Aquila red box. But at $.04 /round I might try a case of these Federals they're packed in a sealed can , good for a trading commodity if a SHTF situation happens.

Good call! When the SHTF ammo is the new currency. That and cans of Spam and the like. Scotch will be currency also, but only as a last resort...

Just got this back from Target Sports. It is an answer to a question I asked a week ago about the Black Pack ammo packaging...

Customer Service. Response: Hi Matt, No these Federal Black Pack 22 Long Rifle Ammo 36 Grain Copper Plated Round Nose 1600 Rounds ammunition do not come in a Metal Ammo Can. We will fix the description shortly. Thank you for buying 22LR ammo online at TargetSportsUSA.com

Lol. I think they thought I meant a .50 cal-type metal can. Either way I will post some pix of ammo and packaging, then range report.

~Matt

Last edited:
Well at least the price is right. .04 cents a round is what it cost before the panic buying. I just ran a box of Federal Auto Match and only had two rounds out of 325 that didn't sound quite right. TS USA also has Federal American Eagle in bulk at that price. Nothing wrong with investing in precious metals.

Back
Top Bottom