.22LR MEGA THREAD!

I'd just like to try maybe 50 of each of these, to see how my guns like them. I'd be willing to pay you more than what it cost you. Anyone in the Worcester area want to help out a guy in need? Once I determine something works OK, I'd probably do a case. PM me.

Thanks.

I'm North of Lowell, practically in Freedom Land. If I was close to Worcester I'd give you a couple of boxes for $0.00 [smile]

I got to the range today and test fired the Federal "Black Pack" as I said I would.
I took some pix of targets to show grouping and will post them up later tonight.
The ammo itself worked great. 100 rounds = 0 failures to fire, 0 failures to eject, 0 Stovepipes and
1 failure to feed, but that was due to the stock T/Cr22 magazine. The last round locked into the feed lips of the mag a dimpled the round
mid-cartridge. I have a photo I will post. All Ruger BX-1 magazines worked flawlessly. The round itself felt like it had a little more oomph than the Rem Golden Bullets and the Winchester standards. Fairly clean shooting and consistent reports.

Range was windy. 10-12 mph crosswinds. Both boxes grouped in at less than 1.50" @ 50 yards.Target was a 25 foot slow-fire pistol. Black is 6"+/-
These are good rounds for plinking in my opinion...

~Matt

Last edited:
You can just order individual boxes from targetsports for yourself and try what you want.
I'm not much of an online ordering type of guy. I usually only do 1 or 2 orders at Christmastime, and that is about it.

Was that a 10/22, Enbloc?

Which were those, 01906?

Wait, are those "white box", or "black pack" (Enbloc)? Sure doesn't look black.

Lol. The 50-round boxes are white to save on ink/design? But it has a black label on the case.
I think they were targeting the "Black Rifle" .22 rimfires. Marketing. Gotta love it!
108502.jpg

I would have been happier if they had put the 1600 rounds in the box loose and went with a smaller box...Or a can.

So, would you recommend these? What is the velocity? Do they mushroom decent?

OK, rating from 1-10, 10 being best:

Cost:
Accuracy:
Reliability:
Velocity:
Packaging:
Clean Shooting (action&barrel):
Smoke (or absence):
Would recommend:

Thanks.

OK, rating from 1-10, 10 being best: 7.2 Overall

Cost:6
Accuracy:7
Reliability:8
Velocity: 1260 FPS
Packaging: 7
Clean Shooting (action&barrel): 8
Smoke (or absence): None noticed
Would recommend: Yes, if verified operational in your rifle/pistol for plinking and target.
Mushrooming of HP: Undetermined, none collected

From Federal:
788BF
UPC 604544645552
Manufacturer Federal Ammo
Caliber 22 Long Rifle Ammo
Bullet Type Copper Plated Hollow-Point
Muzzle Velocity 1260 fps
Muzzle Energy 127 ft. lbs
Primer Rimfire
Casing Brass
Ammo Rating Target Shooting, Practice 22 Long Rifle Ammo

Note: I have also picked up some Aguila Super Extra and will compare in same rifle, under same conditions and fill out the same data set as above for comparison.
The Aquila is at 4 cents a round too.

~Matt

Last edited:
OK, rating from 1-10, 10 being best: 7.2 Overall

Cost:6
Accuracy:7
Reliability:8
Velocity: 1260 FPS
Packaging: 7
Clean Shooting (action&barrel): 8
Smoke (or absence): None noticed
Would recommend: Yes, if verified operational in your rifle/pistol for plinking and target.
Mushrooming of HP: Undetermined, none collected

From Federal:
788BF
UPC 604544645552
Manufacturer Federal Ammo
Caliber 22 Long Rifle Ammo
Bullet Type Copper Plated Hollow-Point
Muzzle Velocity 1260 fps
Muzzle Energy 127 ft. lbs
Primer Rimfire
Casing Brass
Ammo Rating Target Shooting, Practice 22 Long Rifle Ammo

Note: I have also picked up some Aguila Super Extra and will compare in same rifle, under same conditions and fill out the same data set as above for comparison.
The Aquila is at 4 cents a round too.

~Matt
Aguila super extra (standard velocity) at 4 cents is a good price if it performs as well as it has in the past. Might get better groups also.
Theres a few flavors of the super extra line.
Aguila makes a HV 30 grain 1700fps 22lr also if velocity tickles you.

Thanks for the Posts and the Wisdom guys. New shooters will gain from your "sharing"
~Matt

Aguila super extra (standard velocity) at 4 cents is a good price if it performs as well as it has in the past. Might get better groups also.
Theres a few flavors of the super extra line.
Aguila makes a HV 30 grain 1700fps 22lr also if velocity tickles you.

Maybe something somewhere in the middle, like 35 grain, 1460 fps, hollow point. I just want something to penetrate AND expand if I need to go rescue a cat from a coyote using a .22 pistol.

I find the Aguila Super Extra to be fantastic through my CZs. Strange odor, but very accurate.

Yup, that's the eley primers. They're very distinctive smelling. The trick is to try both in your guns to determine which like which best, then make a note of that somewhere. Some older guns may prefer the HV over Std and some modern semis may like the Std over the HV, contrary to what you might expect.

I find the Aguila Super Extra to be fantastic through my CZs. Strange odor, but very accurate.
A chemical smell,
You know that's the first thing I thought of when I heard somebody mention the Aguila super extra. But I didn't say anything because thought nobody else noticed.

A chemical smell,
You know that's the first thing I thought of when I heard somebody mention the Aguila super extra. But I didn't say anything because thought nobody else noticed.
The Russian Junor branded 22lr with steel cases smelt like piss= like a diaper left in a diaper bag in a car a little to long type of piss smell. The brass stuff not to bad but still had a foul odor

A chemical smell,

Oh you mean Aguila with the extra special “Cat Piss Primers”!

OK so it is not an official marketing campaign yet but it is what my wife and I call it.

Very good value in ammo especially if the wind is in your favor. :p

:emoji_tiger:

Oh you mean Aguila with the extra special “Cat Piss Primers”!

OK so it is not an official marketing campaign yet but it is what my wife and I call it.

Very good value in ammo especially if the wind is in your favor. :p

:emoji_tiger:
@CatSnoutSoup+wife unlimber at the range.
Everyone else moves a few lanes over.
Moar elbow room.
Profit!

It's been a long time since this crew has been to the rifle range together. I'm hoping to get out this afternoon. From top to bottom:
"Moses" Mossberg 44B mfg mid '30s (granddad' s)
"Whinny" Winchester 75 mfg '51 (dad' s)
"Remy" Remington 513 T mfg '61 (mine)
"Geranimo" Savage MKll (son' s)

Attachments

• IMG_20180929_135729867.jpg
    IMG_20180929_135729867.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 45
Is it me, or do they keep getting smaller through the years?

Why is that, I wonder.
I dont know( other than less steel and wood =_more profit) but its kind of sad. i love the feel of a nice full size 10lb 22lr with nice aperture sights. Its even better when a 50-100 year old 22 puts some of these new rifles to shame.
My 1942 513t with redfield olympic sights is a blast to shoot at 200 yards.

The Savage is small and light for a target rifle. I will put them on the scale to see who the heavyweight is. I will even caliper the barrels.
When I make it to the range I plan to test four or five types of ammo at 50 yards to see who likes what and to see if cheap ammo is accurate enough for hunting, dueling trees, silhouette matches.
Also curious if any of the old rifles are losing accuracy from unknown thousands of rounds throughout the years.

Back
Top Bottom