.22LR MEGA THREAD!

A change of packaging and promotion I would imagine. I would find it hard to believe that cartridge is going away altogether.
Aguila is one of the largest manufacturers of rimfire ammo in the world they make a number of different cartridges and maybe they are going to thin the lineup down and rebrand them.

🐯

A change of packaging and promotion I would imagine. I would find it hard to believe that cartridge is going away altogether.
Aguila is one of the largest manufacturers of rimfire ammo in the world they make a number of different cartridges and maybe they are going to thin the lineup down and rebrand them.

🐯
Good point. That’s probably what is going to happen.

🐯
maybe end the madness of all the rebranded different print boxes and juzt get back to SV 40 grain stuff covered in wax.

Is that stuff any good? I saw some at a local shop recently.
depends what good is for you.
accuracy and function the 40grain standard velocity Aguila super extra shoots better in all my rifles vs the HV offerings.
If you see SK plus or some of the norma stuff for the same money it should do well.

depends what good is for you.
accuracy and function the 40grain standard velocity Aguila super extra shoots better in all my rifles vs the HV offerings.
If you see SK plus or some of the norma stuff for the same money it should do well.
Nice.
I don’t shoot a lot of 22 and as stated earlier in this thread I have enough lever/revolver/pump/single shots to not worry about cycling actions. As long as they go bang.

Grabbed a bunch of this Winchester 22 at the Somersworth, NH Walmart. Had a USPSA match in Berwick, ME and stopped by on the way home. Hopefully it runs okay.
View attachment 391544
I purchased something similar A while back I don't know if it was the wildcat or a super high velocity. It didn't cycle at all it appeared to be longer than a standard 22LR. Now I'm curious if I still have it I'm going to go look.
Edit: it was the Winchester hyper velocity 1435 feet a second. I put one next to a CCI mini mag. it appears to be a little taller but not enough to make a difference. I would think maybe the thickness of two pieces of paper. I don't know what the problem was.

Last edited:
I purchased something similar A while back I don't know if it was the wildcat or a super high velocity. It didn't cycle at all it appeared to be longer than a standard 22LR. Now I'm curious if I still have it I'm going to go look.
Edit: it was the Winchester hyper velocity 1435 feet a second. I put one next to a CCI mini mag. it appears to be a little taller but not enough to make a difference. I would think maybe the thickness of two pieces of paper. I don't know what the problem was.
What are you running it in. Sometimes it only takes a slither of diffetence for it not to feed or chamber.
Also depends on the chamber cut.
A match 22lr chamber will not play well with the slightly longer mini mag varieties.
Im a firm believer the problems with 22s these days is design and poor quality. Theres 50 plus year old semi auto 22s that cycle shorts no problem. I also have 3 semi auto 22s that will cycle 22,22L and 22lr with out issue you can stager them in the mags and they wont miss a beat.
I giggle at all this “for semi auto 22s” marketing BS.

the browning SA 22 is over 100 years old and is old enough to even see black powder 22
Wont surprise me if they market 22lr for old guns

Last edited:
What are you running it in. Sometimes it only takes a slither of diffetence for it not to feed or chamber.
Also depends on the chamber cut.
A match 22lr chamber will not play well with the slightly longer mini mag varieties.
Im a firm believer the problems with 22s these days is design and poor quality. Theres 50 plus year old semi auto 22s that cycle shorts no problem. I also have 3 semi auto 22s that will cycle 22,22L and 22lr with out issue you can stager them in the mags and they wont miss a beat.
I giggle at all this “for semi auto 22s” marketing BS.

the browning SA 22 is over 100 years old and is old enough to even see black powder 22
Wont surprise me if they market 22lr for old guns
It was awile ago. Probably four years ago. All I had back then for 22. Was a SR22 and Marlin model 60. I tried them in both. If I remember correctly they wouldn't feed without assistance.
Next time I go to the range I'm going to take them with me. I can probably figure out why now. I didn't have as much knowledge back then. By no means am I an expert now, but I have a better grasp on how things work.
Everything I have seems to cycle without issues. No matter what I put in it. I probably have 20-25 different makes and manufacturers of 22 lr. With the exception of a couple POS guns.

Why bother packing plinking ammo anyway.
i think with the shift in the 22lr game and the rise of the need for 22lr thats actually accurate has driven some companies to drop the mediocre mid line crap and just offer plinking fodder and match ammo.

Even Aguila Rifle Match line is not that great. Aguila super extra was a very good ammo for the price that seem to do wellin just about any platform.
So it makes sense to just run bulk ammo at the moment.
i said it before with some of the prices I have seen on the lower level 22lr its a better value to pick up some really nice ammo for not much more.
My last trip to LGS the regular 22lr that was .05-.07 cents last summer was now pushing .12+_cents with 500 round limits. Although no limits on the wolf Match Extra ( new eley made stuff) norma and the higher end eley and SK are still at 2019 prices with no limit. That was a few weeks ago. i snagged some of the new wolf and it shoots great.
Grabbed a brick of the norma biathlon for some winter shooting.
In the end you see it, you like the price buy it. You will keep yourself in ammo that way.

Looks like Aguila is now packaging their 22 ammo in bulk boxes (loose, no individual 50 round boxes). I just ordered 2k of their 38 gr and 40 gr ammo after receiving an email from a vendor with a limited supply. Limit of 2 bricks per type.

What were they getting for the 40gr?

What were they getting for the 40gr?
Both were $25 per brick which I thought was a great deal. Shipping was $23. So $123 shipped for 2k rounds. I’ve got a bunch of 22 but I couldn’t pass it up. Especially with the election and everything else going on.
In the end you see it, you like the price buy it. You will keep yourself in ammo that way.
Yup

Last edited:
Picked up two buckets of 22 lr from Walmart in Hudson am yesterday 64 a bucket for 1400. Seems like Walmart has some 22 in stock from time to time and plenty of 12/20 target loads
My friends been picking up 1000 rounds of 22lr from walmart every week as hes working by one in plymouth.

Holly crap! That's insane. Not buying at that price on principle.
yeah its always been a little pricey, it sucks too. /i dont see any value in it. I dont have any 22lr that are so poorly made or designed it needs extra mmpphh to cycle. Maybe some limitted hunting applications for the higher velocity stuff ?< this is what it was made for anyway.
CCI mini mags is what launched the CCI 22lr line many years ago and it has always been around $10/100 ?

For me mini mags accuracy falls apart right around 50 yards....so rioght now for .15 per round theres better choices out there in stock for $7.50/50 another $1 or so and your stepping up some decent accuracy choices.

Last edited:
yeah its always been a little pricey, it sucks too. /i dont see any value in it. I dont have any 22lr that are so poorly made or designed it needs extra mmpphh to cycle. Maybe some limitted hunting applications for the higher velocity stuff ?
CCI mini mags is what launched the CCI 22lr line many years ago and it has always been around $10/100 ?

For me mini mags accuracy falls apart right around 50 yards....so rioght now for .15 per round theres better choices out there in stock for $7.50/50 another $1 or so and your stepping up some decent accuracy choices.
You're right, Academy down here sells it for $8/100.

Do it,
Good luck no one buys rem goldturds, hehehehe

Not by choice certainly - so so dirty.

eCvCDtY.jpg

🐯

Last edited:
I had forgotten how sucky, inconsistent, and unreliable most bulk 22 ammo is. Going to shoot a steel challenge match with rimfire pistol for the first time and I don't trust any of the ammo I've accumulated. So far, Remington Thunderbolt sucks the *least* in my Ruger 22/45.

I had forgotten how sucky, inconsistent, and unreliable most bulk 22 ammo is. Going to shoot a steel challenge match with rimfire pistol for the first time and I don't trust any of the ammo I've accumulated. So far, Remington Thunderbolt sucks the *least* in my Ruger 22/45.

Sucks the least?!?! What else are you shooting, Golden bullets?

My 22/45 lite eats most everything with 99% reliability, which is what I expect from rimfire. I also trend towards the more decent offerings; Aguila Super Extra, mini mags of all sorts,
federal premium, and even the Winchester Super X and wildcat runs near flawlessly. I have some older Thunderbolt and golden bullets, but I’m looking for a revolver for that stuff. I’m saving the brick of Stingers I scored before total craziness, I know they’ll work in damn near anything.

Back
Top Bottom