• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.22LR for training vs .223/5.56

It's funny, my Chiappa m4 22lr upper has a faux forward assist. It does move but isnt connected to anything. I never thought about the possibility of the FA striking the rim and firing it. I don't think it can reach in normal operation. Anyway, the upper runs great and charges and operates like an AR so definitely a useful tool. I love 22 anyway and have a bunch, this is just 1 more. :)
I like them also especially older ones. They actual function and don’t need silly special ammo to run. I have semi auto that run on any combination of shorts,longs,LR with out issue.

Today they now have “special” ammo for the AR 22s....good grief

If its going to go bang by use of the FA its most likely going to be a OOB.
FWIW I had a old Ted Williams sears 22lr I think it was a winchester clone. The extractor siezed and would set off the round OOB .
Thanks much for that.

Once upon a time while discussing running a full 10-round mag plus one in the pipe on our bull-barrel Mk III 22/45, @JimConway cautioned me to never toss the bonus round into the chamber via the ejection port and then drop the bolt on it, overrunning the rim with the extractor. He didn't elaborate, and at the time I foolishly chalked it up to him mistakenly thinking it was a springy-style extractor like a 1911's internal extractor, which have a habit of breaking if you keep playing that game.

I subsequently learned to appreciate the risk of a dirt-stiffened extractor triggering the rim and would now not risk it. But I've still gotta go back and ask him what he had in mind.

Thanks much for that.

Once upon a time while discussing running a full 10-round mag plus one in the pipe on our bull-barrel Mk III 22/45, @JimConway cautioned me to never toss the bonus round into the chamber via the ejection port and then drop the bolt on it, overrunning the rim with the extractor. He didn't elaborate, and at the time I foolishly chalked it up to him mistakenly thinking it was a springy-style extractor like a 1911's internal extractor, which have a habit of breaking if you keep playing that game.

I subsequently learned to appreciate the risk of a dirt-stiffened extractor triggering the rim and would now not risk it. But I've still gotta go back and ask him what he had in mind.
Placing a round in the chamber and letting the bolt fly has more energy applied to the rim if your extractor is is frozen.
I dont think a lot of people have really noticed when they get a OOB ignition with 22lr. Its not always dynamic. It will shoot debris and gases out for sure.
When you let the action do the work feeding the cartridge from the mag theres a lot of energy lost. If the extrator is acting up your more than likely going to have a FTFeed first

DI and blowback are both "dirty" but that's about all they share. a blowback fouls in the most critical areas such as breech face, bolt face, external areas of chamber. a DI fouls further rearward away from the bolt face and chamber. as a blowback firearm gets more heavily fouled the bolt and breech can no longer fully close. i do not consider DI on the same level as a blowback. from perspective of reliability the DI is far more robust both by inherent design and personal experience.

in terms of mod'ing an AR to run 22LR, I find it annoying to be stuck with a 1:7-1:9 twist for a 22LR. IIRC the bore is also larger than what is optimal for 22LR?

i think one is better off finding an upper than runs reliably on steel cased ammo and train with that. it's not all that much more than quality 22LR and with a good chamber brush the steel cased stuff poses no issues.

I have a CMMG dedicated 22Lr upper with a 9 inch barrel that I run on my SBR Lower.
Its the most fun gun I have, as I can shoot it at any of my clubs ranges.

I have a 15-22. I got the Performance Center with 18" barrel for more weight. I've since added an adapter nut so I could install a Diamonhead handguard and put weight in the empty stock tube.

It is very close in weight to my 14.5" barreled AR. All controls are identical between the two guns; trigger, ambi-safety, BAD lever, handguard, angled foregrip and sights.

Using it in steel matches or .22 tactical matches is DEFINITELY good practice for both shooting ability and muscle memory.

Back
Top Bottom