22lr for 617

Any one have a favorite 22lr brand for a revolver? I just bought a 10 shot 4 inch 617 and don't want to waste time and money searching for a good load. Any suggestions?

I've had pretty good luck in several different guns with Federal Bulk Pack. But you might not be so lucky. What works for another shooter and another gun might not work for you and yours.

The best thing to do is buy (or borrow) a small quantity of different brands and types and see how each shoots in your gun.

Don't think of it as a waste of time and money. Think of it as an investment in your future shooting.

I've had excellent luck with PMC high velocity .22LR in my S&W 422.

That said, it's never a waste of money - you get to shoot and shoot and shoot for a fraction of the cost of centerfire. What's not to love?

I think my question should have been, what brands not to buy. I just bought 1000 remington Thunderbolts and I gave it away to 2 young guys at the range. Worst stuff I ever shot.

They were shooting 10/22 and had run out so I asked them if they wanted it and told them it was crap. They were happy and said WOW Thanks alot. I said you won't be thanking me later.

Theirs nothing worse than driving all the way to the range and finding out your ammo sucks.

Bugs100 said:
I think my question should have been, what brands not to buy. I just bought 1000 remington Thunderbolts and I gave it away to 2 young guys at the range. Worst stuff I ever shot.

They were shooting 10/22 and had run out so I asked them if they wanted it and told them it was crap. They were happy and said WOW Thanks alot. I said you won't be thanking me later.

Theirs nothing worse than driving all the way to the range and finding out your ammo sucks.

Okay, now that is definitely a good point.

Like I said, the PMC high velocity that I got at Four Seasons for $12/500 rounds worked great in my 422 and Marlin model 60.

I got a couple of thousand CCI sv 22lr. at Four Seasons great stuff. That 4 inch 617 10 shot is a lot of fun to shoot. The wife loved it. We went through 300 rounds at Braintree in less than a hour, it's easy to do with the ten shot. . Then shot 100 rounds CCI Blazer .45.. Thanks for the help. CCI makes great ammo. If I knew it was going to be that good I would have gotten the case of 5000!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom