22lr barrel leading

So I’ve got at least 4k rounds of 22lr through my Taurus TX22 and today I shot 300 rounds of CCI AR Tactical. Holy crap was the bore leaded bad.
Never ran into this before with other ammo.

Only thing I can think of is that it was due to my rapid firing? I have one of those McFadden machine lightning loaders which makes reloading blazing fast. I suspect the barrel was getting really hot which may have caused the lead to really “bond” to the bore?? I burned through that 300 rounds in probably 10-15 minute 😂

Then again I’ve done this same type of shooting with lead round nose ammo and never had leading issues. I really hope it was a bad lot of ammo as I just got it from Cabelas last month.

But I still have about 4500 rounds of AR Tactical on hand….🤞🏻 it won’t cause leading.

Thoughts? I think going forward I’m going to bring a bore snake to the range so I can swab it out after every few mags while the bore/lead is still hot. Might make cleaning easier.

Right now I have the bore filled with Kroil. I do have some JB Bore cleaning compound I can try if the Kroil doesn’t work.
There’s a really simple solution to cleaning lead out of the bore , really simple and really cheap

But I’m not going to tell you how because it’s a secret

There’s a really simple solution to cleaning lead out of the bore , really simple and really cheap

But I’m not going to tell you how because it’s a secret
Leave the gun laying around the range table for an afternoon,
and some brass rat who casts at home will remove it for you?

So I put another 300 rounds of AR Tactical through it today without any issues.
I suspect that it was either a bad lot of ammo (too soft? Undersized?) or it was from the chamber/throat being dirty. I had only been using a bore snake for thousands of rounds and the bristles are worn down a bit so not getting a good cleaning.

I used a bronze brush and that JB bore paste with my cordless drill to clean out the chamber earlier this week.

Now I got some Hoppes Tornado stainless brushes in case I run into leading again. 37F7FD16-4ED8-448B-884D-7604F58B12D0.jpeg59808D19-AD7C-47F4-97C9-10E5DD68BBF4.jpeg

Just a Helpfull reminder , i like to have potato chips handy when im scrubbing lead from barrels. That Hoppe's Number 9 is awesome mixed with JB Bore paste as a chip dip. Be sure to lick you fingers you dont want any of that potato chip oil on your nice clean gun.

Just a Helpfull reminder , i like to have potato chips handy when im scrubbing lead from barrels. That Hoppe's Number 9 is awesome mixed with JB Bore paste as a chip dip. Be sure to lick you fingers you dont want any of that potato chip oil on your nice clean gun.
Hoppe’s #9 with JB Bore paste is always a crowd pleaser…

So I put another 300 rounds of AR Tactical through it today without any issues.
I suspect that it was either a bad lot of ammo (too soft? Undersized?) or it was from the chamber/throat being dirty. I had only been using a bore snake for thousands of rounds and the bristles are worn down a bit so not getting a good cleaning.

I used a bronze brush and that JB bore paste with my cordless drill to clean out the chamber earlier this week.

Now I got some Hoppes Tornado stainless brushes in case I run into leading again. View attachment 546420View attachment 546421
From this point on a regular cleaning will probably keep issues at bay
Now since I was a kid my dad taught us to find a specific 22lr that shot well out of it and buy a bunch.
I usually have 2-5k rounds for a particular 22lr platform
As kids my dad bought 20k plus rounds a year as it was not hard for brother and I to dump 5k rounds through the 10/22 , 552 and a few orher semi autos in short time , 5k rounds a week was not hard in the summer months.
Back then we often where stuck with what ever my dad found in bulk.
That was often Russian Made Junoir ammo and a lot of that was steel cased.
Lots of CCI when it was found in bulk

Some of our rifles would go 5k rounds with out any cleaning other than a wipe down and some rust prevention.

Last edited:
So, Vets; what autobiography mentioned recruits hunched over,
using electric drills to clean their AR's in boot camp,
lest the DI's White Glove inspection find a speck of soot?

So, Vets; what autobiography mentioned recruits hunched over,
using electric drills to clean their AR's in boot camp,
lest the DI's White Glove inspection find a speck of soot?
Lol. Luckily I’m not like that. I only decided to use power tools to get out that large amount of lead. I do not do that every time I clean it.

Unfortunately, with the ammo supply being what it is, I stocked up on whatever I could find. Before the SHTF I picked up 4400 rounds of Federal Black Pack .22 and I've been pleasantly surprised. ( knock on wood ) 36 grain, CPHP. Almost through the first box of 1100 without any problems. Pretty good stuff.

Lol. Luckily I’m not like that. I only decided to use power tools to get out that large amount of lead. I do not do that every time I clean it.
I worry about the next guy to be issued that gun from the armory.

I'm wondering if the anecdote could be in Michael Yon's "Danger Close".
Amazon product ASIN B001B3URI0View: https://www.amazon.com/DANGER-CLOSE-Michael-Yon/dp/B001B3URI0/

It's not like I claim to have read a whole lot of modern day military autobiographies.

Unfortunately, with the ammo supply being what it is, I stocked up on whatever I could find. Before the SHTF I picked up 4400 rounds of Federal Black Pack .22 and I've been pleasantly surprised. ( knock on wood ) 36 grain, CPHP. Almost through the first box of 1100 without any problems. Pretty good stuff.
Nice! I’ve haven’t had too many issues with Federal bulk 22. Their bulk 800 round packs functioned fine but accuracy wasn’t great. Plenty of underpowered rounds. But I still have their 550 packs and 325 rd packs which work well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom