• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

22lr barrel leading

DW357

NES Member
So I’ve got at least 4k rounds of 22lr through my Taurus TX22 and today I shot 300 rounds of CCI AR Tactical. Holy crap was the bore leaded bad.
Never ran into this before with other ammo.

Only thing I can think of is that it was due to my rapid firing? I have one of those McFadden machine lightning loaders which makes reloading blazing fast. I suspect the barrel was getting really hot which may have caused the lead to really “bond” to the bore?? I burned through that 300 rounds in probably 10-15 minute 😂

Then again I’ve done this same type of shooting with lead round nose ammo and never had leading issues. I really hope it was a bad lot of ammo as I just got it from Cabelas last month.

But I still have about 4500 rounds of AR Tactical on hand….🤞🏻 it won’t cause leading.

Thoughts? I think going forward I’m going to bring a bore snake to the range so I can swab it out after every few mags while the bore/lead is still hot. Might make cleaning easier.

Right now I have the bore filled with Kroil. I do have some JB Bore cleaning compound I can try if the Kroil doesn’t work.

Last edited:
So I’ve got at least 4k rounds of 22lr through my Taurus TX22 and today I shot 300 rounds of CCI AR Tactical. Holy crap was the bore leaded bad.

Only thing I can think of is that it was due to my rapid firing? I have one of those McFadden machine lightning loaders which makes reloading blazing fast. I suspect the barrel was getting really hot which may have caused the lead to really “bond” to the bore?? I burned through that 300 rounds in probably 10-15 minute 😂

Then again I’ve done this same type of shooting with lead round nose ammo and never had leading issues. I really hope it was a bad lot of ammo as I just got it from Cabelas last month.

But I still have about 4500 rounds of AR Tactical on hand….🤞🏻 it won’t cause leading.

Thoughts? I think going forward I’m going to bring a bore bake to the range so I can swab it out after every few mags while the bore/lead is still hot. Might make cleaning easier.

Right now I have the bore filled with Kroil. I do have some JB Bore cleaning compound I can try if the Kroil doesn’t work.
Where was the lead build up
Throat, muzzle , through out

Measure a few of the bullets.

As far as to hot, doubt it? I have seen full auto 22lr do a few 50 round mag dumps back to back.

Anyway : I have had lead build up when I change ammo especially at the throat.
I think its caused by different bullet profiles…

Last edited:
Where was the lead build up
Throat, muzzle , through out

Measure a few of the bullets.

As far as to hot, doubt it? I have seen full auto 22lr do a few 50 round mag dumps back to back.

Anyway : I have had lead build up when I change ammo especially at the throat.
I think its caused by different bullet profiles…
Seemed pretty much throughout. But most of the stubborn lead is closer to the throat now.

I measured them and compared them to mini mags and they seem to be .224-.225"

Never had issues with mini mags. Only difference between AR Tactical and mini mags is the bullet profile on the Tact is more blunt and not as tapered as the round nose mini mags.

Thoughts? I think going forward I’m going to bring a bore snake to the range so I can swab it out after every few mags while the bore/lead is still hot. Might make cleaning easier.

Aguila SE keeps barrel relatively clean.

Aguila SE keeps barrel relatively clean.
Good to know! I have a couple thousand on hand with another couple thousand on the way. A vendor had some for $40 per 500 plus shipping. Got my limit and it worked out to be 8.5 cpr shipped. Not bad.
I need to run some of that to see how it performs.

The rifling on my TX22 looks like snakeshit. The pistol runs fine but the barrel is obviously garbage. I’m willing to bet it’s harsh on unjacketed projectiles. However I dont much care. More time is spent cleaning the dead air mask that runs with it.

Don't turn this into some fetish?

If it's not harming the rifling,
and it's not causing high chamber pressures
because the boolit can't get out the barrel,
then who GAF?

The rifling on my TX22 looks like snakeshit. The pistol runs fine but the barrel is obviously garbage. I’m willing to bet it’s harsh on unjacketed projectiles. However I dont much care. More time is spent cleaning the dead air mask that runs with it.
Yeah I was just reading up on the non concentric barrel and chatter marks in bore with some TX22 barrels. I don’t think mine was that bad as I hadn’t ran into any lead problems until now. Could have been a bad (super soft lead?) lot of ammo?

then who GAF?
Well I think if I continued shooting a few more bricks it could have caused a pressure issue?

I will say about halfway through shooting I noticed the recoil and amount of smoke increased. Didn’t think much of it until now lol

How about hydrofluoric acid?…
HF will actually dissolve it Just fine along with the stainless too. Not from the acid. But from the fluoride ion. i Have used dilute nitric on 416 ss in the lab to dissolve junk for years. no issues. anyone have any idea what the active component is in these cleaners?

then who GAF?

It will cause bad shit though, if its anything like what I ran into with that P22. I shit you not, ,in under 100 rounds of thundershit the rifling was so clogged that the bullets were coming out SIDEWAYS and thats how I noticed the problem. We couldnt hit shit at 25 feet even. Then I walked up to the paper and shot it like 10 ft away and it was like a couple inches down with a coin shaped hole in the paper. Then I took the gun apart and looked in the barrel and it was literally clogged with lead, you could see a path down it, but there was enough lead in there that all the rifling was filled with shit.

Well I think if I continued shooting a few more bricks it could have caused a pressure issue?
Above my pay grade; don't let me sucker you into a kaboom.

It will cause bad shit though, if its anything like what I ran into with that P22. I shit you not, ,in under 100 rounds of thundershit the rifling was so clogged that the bullets were coming out SIDEWAYS and thats how I noticed the problem. We couldnt hit shit at 25 feet even. Then I walked up to the paper and shot it like 10 ft away and it was like a couple inches down with a coin shaped hole in the paper. Then I took the gun apart and looked in the barrel and it was literally clogged with lead, you could see a path down it, but there was enough lead in there that all the rifling was filled with shit.
It was probably melting the boolit, which then squirted out the muzzle
as molten droplets. Which would be pretty cool right up until it wasn't.

It was probably melting the boolit, which then squirted out the muzzle
as molten droplets. Which would be pretty cool right up until it wasn't.
Come to think of it, I should expose all you guys to a neuralizer...
FrankDescriptiveDove-size_restricted.gif

...to forget this image of molten lead squirting out a clogged barrel.

Then on April Fools Day, I'll start a thread asking which brand of Pez
has 40gr Pb Round Nose with the lowest melting point,
because my barrel is a little clogged and I want to minimize back-pressure.

If you really desperate, cut up some of the dishwashing copper scrub and run it thru the barrel with the cleaner rod. Lube generously before you stick it in.

Thanks guys. I've had it soaking in Kroil since yesterday. When I get home from work I'll see what comes out and if it's still stuck I've got some JB non-embedding bore paste to try.

Really hope it was just a bad lot of ammo. Otherwise I got 15 bricks of it that I can't really use. Well I could use it in the AR22 I suppose.

Thanks guys. I've had it soaking in Kroil since yesterday. When I get home from work I'll see what comes out and if it's still stuck I've got some JB non-embedding bore paste to try.

Really hope it was just a bad lot of ammo. Otherwise I got 15 bricks of it that I can't really use. Well I could use it in the AR22 I suppose.
Or you could do the in 2021 fashionable thing and sell them on the classifieds for a gross profit. I hear it's what the cool kids do.

If its leading up the short barrel that poorly, it may have a worst effect in the longer barrel.

Or you could do the in 2021 fashionable thing and sell them on the classifieds for a gross profit. I hear it's what the cool kids do.

If its leading up the short barrel that poorly, it may have a worst effect in the longer barrel.
Tempting....lol

Yeah I could have sworn I tried the AR Tactical in my AR22 earlier this year and I don't recall any leading. But I could be wrong

Back
Top Bottom