• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

22lr and 17 mach 2

Relatively new to fire arms, bought a case of 22lr stinger, there was a 50 round box of 17 Mach 2 mixed in. My question is can I use the 17 Mach 2 in a 22lr rifle? Any help would be appreciated.

Technically the 17 mach 2, will fit and fire in the 22lr gun but i wouldn’t recommend it.

I purchased a couple 17mach2 guns last year. One had an accessory rail that covered the barrel markings. Seller told me he could never get it to shoot a group under 6”, but the glass and chassis was more then worth asking price so i bought it. Stripped it, and found out it was a 22lr, and it shoots decent with 22lr.

Ok
if you're that new to firearms, and had your basic safety class, you should know to match the ammo to what's on the gun slide or barrel.

when you get more advanced, you'll find out that some guns can shoot more than one cartridge...

View attachment 700521
Well I know most of that, but like the 556 and the 223 are basically the same and you can shoot either out of a 556 chambered with out a problem, but you shouldnt use a 556 in a 223 chambered rifle because the gas build up is to high. So I just wasn't sure if this may be the case with the 17 Mach 2 and the 22lr. The research I've done says that the cartridge is the same but the bullet it self is smaller on the 17 Mach 2. I'm going to try to return it, I was just curious.

OP: Good job on asking.

There are a lot of rules, and best practices and "special cases" that take a while to absorb (like why is a .38 special able to be safely fired from a .357 magnum, when it looks like the caliber is markedly different).

We were all new to the game, once (though it may have been with the arquebus, for some here), and there's a lot to learn.

As stated in emtdad's post, there are some chamberings that have multiple designations, but DO NOT TAKE ANYONE'S ASSURANCE that x will fit y, without corroboration. I had a Dick's Sporting Goods clerk tell me that .38 spl woupistold work in a .380 ACP pistol, as, "They both say 38....." [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom