• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC found loose in the mail.

After completing my LTC renewal at the local PD in June I began the wait like everyone else. In September, I began to wonder how long it was actually going to take to get my new one but the officer who processed my application said it would be at least 10 weeks based on what he had seen recently.

A month or so later, in my mailbox, I found an envelope from the post office indicating that the contents inside were found "Loose in the mail". That and I owed them 46 cents. I opened it up and, you guessed it, there was my LTC. This is when the anger started. So the state can't be bothered to properly seal an envelope containing my personal information? WTF?

A couple of weeks later I happened to mention this to a police officer friend. He told me two things that I didn't know. First, the LTC was supposed to be mailed to the police department, where the Chief or issuing officer activates it, prints your new pin number and then mails it to the recipient. Had I tried to use it for a purchase, I would have been denied.

The second, and more ridiculous thing is that this has happened several times in the past. In those cases, the post office employees waited until an officer stopped in, then gave them a small stack of LTC's that were loose in the mail. The Chief notified the state, but obviously that didn't work.

The fix was easy, I brought in the LTC, the Chief activated it and gave me a new pin. Apparantly the state won't let you carry over your old pin. Luckily since we're a small town the Chief was going to contact anyone else who renewed at the same time as me to find out if they had recieved their new LTC's the same way so that they could be processed properly.

Thought I'd post this as a heads up for anyone else who's waiting, or got theirs in a postage due envelope.

wtfover. So they are sending out LTC's regular first class to PD's? Let loose to go through the automated mail system and get chewed up and spit out? Glad to see they care as much about our personal information as they do our 2A rights in this state.

! This happened to Joe. We went for them together, mine came in early June, his was "lost in the mail". The envelope showed up "with a hole in it, and his was the only one missing". I seriously thought it was a line because Joe was constantly calling the licensing authority for status updates. He held out hope that someone would just mail it to us, but we had to report it cancelled and restart the process, he finally got it 5 weeks after mine.

Not a day goes by that I don't think of something that god I can't wait to tell Joe...This was today's.

Would every pay $2-5 more to have their sent priority mail to the pd station, I would, even though the fees are outrageous, atleast I know that I could get a tracking number for my ltc.

The second, and more ridiculous thing is that this has happened several times in the past. In those cases, the post office employees waited until an officer stopped in, then gave them a small stack of LTC's that were loose in the mail. The Chief notified the state, but obviously that didn't work.

I would definitely File a complaint with the USPS Postal Inspection Service, explaining that someone may be tampering with your mail.
I would provide all the relevant details and the persons involved and provide their contact information as well so that they can corroborate this, as mail tampering is a felony esp. when it deals with legal or official government documents such as LTC's. If the state is to blame and there is a level of negligence here, then that ESPECIALLY should be reported.

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/contactUs/phoneus.aspx

Back
Top Bottom