• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

223 vs 556

just Google 223 vs 5.56 and you will have enough info for many reading sessions on the throne.
NATO and US mil spec M193/M855 are loaded to achieve a higher velocity there for increasing chamber pressure.
The big difference is the chambers.
Your SAMMI specs for 223 are not the same as a 5.56 military chamber.
Back in the day 223 rem was a light varmint cartridge with 52grains being the heavy bullet of the day.

The military uses several different projectiles with different shapes also.

Now you can find the chamber dimensions on line and compare them.
http://www.ar15barrels.com/ <poke around on this site has good info.

Now the problem lies in a 223 chamber is slightly tighter. Free bore length and lead angles where designed around the lighter bullets... so when the M193/855 showed up as surplus when chambered it could have the bullet contacting the lands. This would take a already higher pressure cartridge and create a dangerous peak in pressure.

There are several versions of 223 chambers out there. The common are SAMMI spec 223 remington, Wylde and NATO. The Wylde chamber has essential the sammi specs on the body of the chamber with longer throat/lead to allow a broad range of bullet weights and profiles.
The 223 remington cartridge is a accurate cartridge very versatile.
The Wylde chamber capitalize on that and can run bullets up to 80 grains
Along with the "NATO" stuff.

Out of my LWRC Federal bulk .223 55gr has almost the same POI as M855 at 100yds which is kinda cool I think. Makes practice cheaper without me having to F with my zero.

Not on semi/full autos, but you do on bolt actions.

Are these older guns, or do they still make them for just .223?

My CZ527 can shoot both even though it is labelled .223. Called and asked their engineering department. They get the question all the time.

Are these older guns, or do they still make them for just .223?

My CZ527 can shoot both even though it is labelled .223. Called and asked their engineering department. They get the question all the time.

I would think by now most manufactures are cutting the throats and lead longer to avoid law suites?

Back
Top Bottom