• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.223 reloads sizing issue?

TZCHRIS

NES Member
Probably one for EC, I just finished up 1K .223 reloads. I case gauge all the ammo when complete. I found about 15 rounds that didnt gauge. I am getting about .005 to .010 protruding from end of gauge (primer side) What if any issues will I have firing them? I could pull them apart and re-size but my feeling is .005 is pretty small so I'm thinking they will be fine but just need to hear the "experts" opinion. Firing from AR.
Thanks, Chris

1. Is all the reloaded brass shot from the same rifle?
2. Do you have any fired brass from the rifle you intend to shoot it from? You could compare that fired case in your gauge to your reloads.
I don't really know why but a bunch of once fired cases I had would not resize back. I set my dies up with a rcbs precission mic with my regular brass. But this brass which I couldn't id the headstamp just would. not set back?
Or maybe a short stroke on those cases?

If they don't gage, they might not chamber.

especially if not from your rifle...... My wife tossed some deprimed but neck sized only brass in my ready to load box for mt AR. Frustrating day at the range that day. I loaded about 100 cases. Thank god the unsized but now loaded ammo had a different head stamp. I quickly sorted and salvaged what was left of my time.
I know make sure all my brass is put away. I also take the time to check my loads with the wilson case gauge.

Sometimes when resizing once-fired brass I find it won't fit the case gauge because the extractor rim is boogered up a little, and often you can see a mark from the bolt face to go with it. To see if that's the problem, turn the case around and see if it fits in the gauge "headstamp first". It should, at least partway, but if it hangs up immediately that's the issue. I'll usually just scrap those cases for .223, though with 30-06 I'll sometimes lightly dress it up with a file to remove a booger and get it to drop into the gauge.

Other times, it won't gauge because I didn't push the shoulder back far enough. You can measure that with a Hornady headspace comparator or other similar tool. In that case I send it through the resizing die one more time, making sure that the press cams over at the bottom of the stroke, and usually that does the trick. If not I scrap that brass too.

Back
Top Bottom