223 reloading questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
.223 need help reloading
Ok guys im new into reloading I need help.
I have a friend who has a couple thousand once fired lake city .223 casings. My friend has a Great dillion that is Sweet so I can reaload at his house!!! So as for brass im good for now.
I was wondering
powder? What do you think? Im at Army Veteran? Thus my screen name so I wish I could have the same powder in lake city. is that WC846? Which can not be bought? But is that actaully H335 which is bassically the samething?
What do you think the best powerder for the 223 to make a 55G max 62G round is

Next question is primiers. I know nothing about that. Tell me what to get one this. What websites. I dont want to get ripped off but I dont want junk. What do i Get?

Last is bullets? Samething.... What there..... 100 yards 200 yards max is where this ammo should be going too if that helps. I dont want to spend a ton but I dont want junk. Bulk I think is the way. Maybe 500 at a time. that I think makes sense. Or a 1000. prob 500 for cost reasons

please help
thanks

Army Veteran

Hello, Army Veteran!

.223 need help reloading
Ok guys im new into reloading I need help.
I have a friend who has a couple thousand once fired lake city .223 casings. My friend has a Great dillion that is Sweet so I can reaload at his house!!! So as for brass im good for now.
I was wondering
powder? What do you think? Im at Army Veteran? Thus my screen name so I wish I could have the same powder in lake city. is that WC846? Which can not be bought? But is that actaully H335 which is bassically the samething?
What do you think the best powerder for the 223 to make a 55G max 62G round is

I'm assuming that since your friend has a Dillon he/she has some experience in reloading. Have you run these questions by your friend? If you do a web search for "duplicate lake city load" you'll find several links offering some info regarding loads that supposedly duplicate Lake City loads. It's my understanding that mil ammo is frequently loaded with non-canister (not retail consumer) powder, so the closest you'll get will be an approximation. Are you trying to duplicate the velocity, the pressure, or both? In any event, please check any load data you find on the internet against published data in reloading manuals. Start low and work up to the load you want.

Next question is primiers. I know nothing about that. Tell me what to get one this. What websites. I dont want to get ripped off but I dont want junk. What do i Get?

Small Rifle primers are what you are looking for. Most of the big companies make military grade primers which have a thicker/harder cup to reduce the chance of slamfires. Personally, I like CCI primers, but I've used others with good results. You list your location as MA, so you won't get people to steer you to websites, since many won't ship components to MA. The companies that do ship here are not publicized because they'll get a legal enema from our Attorney General.

Last is bullets? Samething.... What there..... 100 yards 200 yards max is where this ammo should be going too if that helps. I dont want to spend a ton but I dont want junk. Bulk I think is the way. Maybe 500 at a time. that I think makes sense. Or a 1000. prob 500 for cost reasons

please help
thanks

Army Veteran

Regarding buying bullets, see my comments above about primers. Buying in bulk can result in some cost savings. The last batch I bought was 4000 55gr. I've had good performance with them out to ~400 yards. I'm usually punching holes in paper or hitting a steel plate, and I'm not trying to duplicate a factory load, so my comments are pretty general. I'm just trying to give you some general advice.

Please consult with an experienced reloader for some specific advice before you go out and spend money on components that won't do what you want them to do.

There is a "reloading" part of the forum to which this will probably be moved once a moderator looks at it. Secondly, I'd recommend you consider taking a reloading course before jumping into the reloading biz. There are a couple of NES members who come to mind who would be very helpful to you (by taking their course), Eddie Coyle (N MA) and Duke from Maine (not sure where he's located). Thirdly, and in the meantime, I'd suggest some reading material which covers the ABC's of reloading. Interestingly it's a book called "The ABC's of Reloading". It's a reasonably comprehensive look at reloading written in an easy to understand format.

Good luck and welcome.

There's a duplicate thread in the reloading forum so I'm going to go ahead and close this. Please continue the discussion there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom