• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.223 Recipe?

I'm just beginning to reload rifle cartridges and was wondering if someone could share their favorite bullet weight and powder type and charge for a target load.

I know this subject has been covered before but I'm too lazy to look for it. Anyway;

Sierra 69gr HPBT over 25gr of 748 does the trick in my Savage but these would not work in an autoloader...

Slug: Win 55-gr FMJ BT

Powder: 26.0 gr. Win 748

Case: Rem-UMC commercial and mixed mil.

Primer: CCI #400.

I have found this load more than accurate enough for bolt guns and more than powerful enough to cycle autos.

However, the first step in developing a load for any .223 or 5.56 is to find out what the twist rate is of your rifle's barrel, and then do some research on the range of bullet weights that your twist rate will stabilize.

I like Reloder 7 for 55 grain bullets; Accurate 2230 for 55 and 62 grain bullets and Accurate 2520 for 62+.

I'm just starting myself and have only put out about 100 rounds. I'm using:
H-335 24.0gr
FMJBT 55gr.
WSR Primers

Very good accuracy from a 14.5" barrel, I don't have a velocity on them yet though.

24.5 grains of Varget behind a Sierra Matchking 77 grain bullet. I use standard CCI SR primers loaded into late vintage LC cases.

For a practice /plinking load I use various 62/63 grain FMJ and surplus WC844 powder with a CCI SR primer. Case headstamp vary but the load is accurate enough and no signs of pressure. I do prefer the Golden West bullets when available.

Last edited:
Wow! That's hot!

I run an identical load (you must have X dies) but with CCI primers and 24.0 grains of H335.

That's my SHTF load. @ 26.2 grains I start to get excessively flattened primers.

My target load is 25.5 grains H335 / HornFMJ 55gr.

I did pick up some Win748 under advice from a few members to try out.

Last edited:
It metered better in my Hornady LnL powder drop, and the max. load was the accuracy load, which makes it a little easier to load both SHTF and fun ammo, as they're both the same. The drawback is that it generated notably more barrel heat than H335.

Slug: Win 55-gr FMJ BT

Powder: 26.0 gr. Win 748

Case: Rem-UMC commercial and mixed mil.

Primer: CCI #400.

I have found this load more than accurate enough for bolt guns and more than powerful enough to cycle autos.

However, the first step in developing a load for any .223 or 5.56 is to find out what the twist rate is of your rifle's barrel, and then do some research on the range of bullet weights that your twist rate will stabilize.

How is 748 compared to H335 for cleanness in the AR platform?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom