• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

223 pricing

Unless one is a complete newly awakened gun owner starting from scratch, why is anyone who has owned guns for a few years needing to buy or worse wanting to buy ammo now rather than just adjusting the quantity you shoot and stretching one's supply out?

This situation has been here before ( three or four times since 2010) and many of the same people who have seen it before still get sucked right into buying at peak pricing times.
If someone is such an avid shooter that they are consuming a couple of cases a month in these times, they should have been buying it by the pallet all along when it was half or less the price and every vendor had it.

Now that it's reaching "unobtainium" status is not the time to be having to "stock up" so what ever price you pay is your penance for your procrastination.

This, and if anyone is a new gun owner, let this "crisis" be a lesson - if there is a return to some normalcy in pricing, stock up so that you can easily go through a year, preferably two or three, without having to pay the high prices. I learned my lesson after Sandy Hook, I thought I had plenty of ammo at the time (and I did for the most part) but I really stocked up during the cyclic lows in pricing on ammo (and guns) after that.

I doubt it will be “banned” but if things go the wrong way i can see flippers being the only ones selling it at .60 cpr or more..... Frankly if they banned ammo it’s probably time to start using it....

No "probably" about it.

I remember in a former life when .223 was $120-150/k and 50BMG surplus was $1 a round.

"A DOLLAR A ROUND!?!?!?!? It'll be a cold day in hell before I buy one of those!" I had 2-3 that I could have had for reasonable $. Passed because a dollar per shot seemed silly and I didn't really have any where to let it stretch it's legs anyhow.

My .223 in stock is still running less than $200/K. If you never shoot it, you never have to buy more expensive ammo.

I just looked back. On February 14th I bought a case of Wolf Gold .223 for $248.

What an investment! I've doubled my money in 6 months!

Of course if I sell it I won't have anything to shoot.

Hmmmm........

I remember in a former life when .223 was $120-150/k and 50BMG surplus was $1 a round.

"A DOLLAR A ROUND!?!?!?!? It'll be a cold day in hell before I buy one of those!" I had 2-3 that I could have had for reasonable $. Passed because a dollar per shot seemed silly and I didn't really have any where to let it stretch it's legs anyhow.

My .223 in stock is still running less than $200/K. If you never shoot it, you never have to buy more expensive ammo.

Steel cased .223 could be had everywhere for $75/1000 retail....even less if you bought enough. Good Milsurp .308/7.62x51 was $180/1000 shipped. I bought half a pallet of Greek HXP 30.06 in spam cans for $54/192rds per can in bandos.
Linked, rebuilt Lake City .50 bmg ball from Talon Mfg was $116/100 and you got a .50 can in excellent shape too.
Those days are long gone.

Last edited:
I just looked back. On February 14th I bought a case of Wolf Gold .223 for $248.

What an investment! I've doubled my money in 6 months!

Of course if I sell it I won't have anything to shoot.

Hmmmm........

Yup, my last purchase of Wolf Gold was the first week of March......$262.00//1000 to the door. UPS guy was not happy that day. [laugh]

I should be selling the 30-06 I got from CMP 15 years ago. Damn. If .223 is 50c. What's 06? A buck a round???? I could pay for my Garand for crying out loud. LOL

I should be selling the 30-06 I got from CMP 15 years ago. Damn. If .223 is 50c. What's 06? A buck a round???? I could pay for my Garand for crying out loud. LOL

Funny thing is the "expensive" calibers change less, hence I can find ok priced 7.62 nato but not 5.56.

Not quite $1/rd yet for target rounds. I haven’t purchased .30-06 in a long time, but do try to check the prices from time to time. It’s getting up there, but not $1. Yet. Some hunting rounds have already passed that.

Then again, if it does ever hit that, that might signal the death of that caliber (for newer rifle shooters, anyway) given the popularity of 6.5CM, .308, and other longer distance rounds.

Found myself out the other day with an excel spreadsheet looking at reloading cartridges I don't want to reload.

I figure I can pay off a whole hunting ammo setup in about 300 rounds. But is it worth reloading my hunting ammo? I literally only hunt with that rifle.

One could argue custom accuracy and ballistics and shit, but I'll be honest, a box of Nosler suits me fine at the ranges I'm shooting at, hell, I could hit with tula.

Yes, but good luck on powder or primer.

Silly me, in March, I acquired a press and dies to try my hand at reloading. Didn't quite know what I was doing yet, so I held off on consumables until I did some more reading.

Well, I have it figured out now, but no powder, no primers.

Might as well put it all back in the box.

Yes, but good luck on powder or primer.

Silly me, in March, I acquired a press and dies to try my hand at reloading. Didn't quite know what I was doing yet, so I held off on consumables until I did some more reading.

Well, I have it figured out now, but no powder, no primers.

Might as well put it all back in the box.
Powder isn't hard to get. Small pistol primers are tough though. If you're reloading rifle calibers, components shouldn't be all that difficult to get. Though technically you could use small rifle primers instead of small pistol primers from what I hear. Those primers would be a little easier to find.

What calibers were you looking to reload?

Last edited:
Powder isn't hard to get. Small pistol primers are tough though. If you're reloading rifle calibers, components shouldn't be all that difficult to get. Though technically you could use small rifle primers instead of small pistol primers from what I hear. Those primers would be a little easier to find.

What calibers were you looking to reload?

I was looking at .223 first, then 30-06 for the Garand.

I have projectiles for .223, cases are no problem. Need small rifle primers. None to be had locally that I can find.

I was looking at IMR 4895 for powder since it is the go to for M2 look-a-like loads in 30-06 and is also well known for .223. Not having much luck finding powders I can use locally either. Not sure where to really be looking around Worcester.

I could get the powder at least from Cabelas if they would let you do "ship to store". Done that way, there would be a bottle waiting for me. Instead I have to do the show up daily and wait for the truck to unload game. Still leaves me without primers.

I would get the dies for 30-06 and start sourcing components for them since large rifle primers are available, but we come back to the powder issue.

I have projectiles for .223, cases are no problem. Need small rifle primers. None to be had locally that I can find.

I was looking at IMR 4895 for powder since it is the go to for M2 look-a-like loads in 30-06 and is also well known for .223. Not having much luck finding powders I can use locally either. Not sure where to really be looking around Worcester.

I could get the powder at least from Cabelas if they would let you do "ship to store". Done that way, there would be a bottle waiting for me. Instead I have to do the show up daily and wait for the truck to unload game. Still leaves me without primers.

I would get the dies for 30-06 and start sourcing components for them since large rifle primers are available, but we come back to the powder issue.
I can PM you some online vendors but I would check shops like Al's Gun shop in Derry, NH or Shooters Outpost in Hooksett, NH. There's also Glenn's Ammo and reloading in North Reading, MA. Call ahead.

Unless one is a complete newly awakened gun owner starting from scratch, why is anyone who has owned guns for a few years needing to buy or worse wanting to buy ammo now rather than just adjusting the quantity you shoot and stretching one's supply out?

This situation has been here before ( three or four times since 2010) and many of the same people who have seen it before still get sucked right into buying at peak pricing times.
If someone is such an avid shooter that they are consuming a couple of cases a month in these times, they should have been buying it by the pallet all along when it was half or less the price and every vendor had it.

Now that it's reaching "unobtainium" status is not the time to be having to "stock up" so what ever price you pay is your penance for your procrastination.

The other possibility is concern that while you have 'some', things have gotten worse, and you don't have 'enough'...or you have a threshold for no less than x, and want to keep the skill of shooting, which is perishable, sharp

The other possibility is concern that while you have 'some', things have gotten worse, and you don't have 'enough'...or you have a threshold for no less than x, and want to keep the skill of shooting, which is perishable, sharp

Yes, it's perishable.....but not that perishable that someone couldn't reduce their amount by half and still stay proficient.

If things continue as is or get worse in the future, they won't even have the choice so they might as well do it now and save a little for later.

I paid 45cpr today for xm193. I havwnt really paid attention to much gun stuff for a month and wall of ammo at my local shop was much sadder than last time i was there. .38spl was over $1/rd for shitty ball ammo i think. One box left.

I paid 45cpr today for xm193. I havwnt really paid attention to much gun stuff for a month and wall of ammo at my local shop was much sadder than last time i was there. .38spl was over $1/rd for shitty ball ammo i think. One box left.

If you had been paying attention to anything "gun stuff" ( particularly ammo pricing) for the past 8 months, you should have seen what was happening. The current situation didn't happen overnight.

there is a pretty wide range of powders you could load for M1 garand. Come to the garand match and shoot the match in pembroke sunday and i will sell you 1lb of varget $28 and 200 primers $8 to get you going. Let me know and I will dig it out

there is a pretty wide range of powders you could load for M1 garand. Come to the garand match and shoot the match in pembroke sunday and i will sell you 1lb of varget $28 and 200 primers $8 to get you going. Let me know and I will dig it out

A generous offer, and I appreciate it, but I can't make the match Sunday.

Again, thank you for the offer.

Back
Top Bottom