.223 need help reloading

Ok guys im new into reloading I need help.
I have a friend who has a couple thousand once fired lake city .223 casings. My friend has a Great dillion that is Sweet so I can reaload at his house!!! So as for brass im good for now.
I was wondering
powder? What do you think? Im at Army Veteran? Thus my screen name so I wish I could have the same powder in lake city. is that WC846? Which can not be bought? But is that actaully H335 which is bassically the samething?
What do you think the best powerder for the 223 to make a 55G max 62G round is

Next question is primiers. I know nothing about that. Tell me what to get one this. What websites. I dont want to get ripped off but I dont want junk. What do i Get?

Last is bullets? Samething.... What there..... 100 yards 200 yards max is where this ammo should be going too if that helps. I dont want to spend a ton but I dont want junk. Bulk I think is the way. Maybe 500 at a time. that I think makes sense. Or a 1000. prob 500 for cost reasons

please help
thanks

Army Veteran

My standard range load for 5.56 is: 55-gr. Win. bulk FMJBT, 26.0 gr. Win 748, CCI SR standard primer, and mixed GI and commercial brass. This comes out of an M4 at about 2775 fps, shoots well within the 1-2 MOA aiming precision I can achieve with this rifle, and functions flawlessly. Win 748 is a nice powder to load with, as it meters like water.

It is important with this round to measure case length after every resizing and trim as needed. I'm getting about 3 reloads per trim, and about 6 reloads before I begin to see split necks in a batch. I do not bother to anneal or neck ream.

You've got me confused with your double posting. The mods hate that...

But.....

I use H335 for my .223 rounds. It's the only thing I've used. It meters well and seem work very well. So I just order a BUNCH more. I guess I'm committed to it now. I use anywhere from 24gr. to 25gr.+ I'm not sure what I like yet.

I've only ever used WSR primers and I hand prime. I read somewhere (on the internet, so it must be true) that Winchester primers are soft and should never be used in ARs due to the risk of slam-fires. I've NEVER heard of this happening to anyone I know and I don't know anyone credible (or otherwise) who has expressed this reservation. I'm also now heavily committed to WSR primers.

Don't know about bullets. I use 55gr that I get in very large bulk.

I've loaded an awful lot of this cartridge but I've done very little experimenting. The first suggestion I got from some trusted fellow competitors worked very well for me so I stuck with what I'm doing.

I am using WC 844 powder which is hard to get lately but when available I stock up on it. It uses the same data as H 335. Looks like H335. Loads like H335. It is a pulled down powder and a lot less than the price of H335 when I get it. I also get machine pulled bullets which shoot just as good as anything else I've used to reload for plinking. Problem is both have been out of stock for a while.

I've used CCI primers, CCI military primers for 5.56, Wolf primers, Winchesters, Magtech, and Remington magnum primers. They all seem the same to me.

I also use WCC 844. I have had good results with it and AA 2230C. I think they are the same powder as the results on the chrono are almost identical. Using 55gr IMI bullets I get a little over one inch for five shots at 100yds with a DPMS 1/9 sixteen inch heavy barrel. Using the more expensive Sierra 69 gr HPBT bullets I get .343 for five shots at the same distance.

Purchase a reloading manual, google "reloading for the semi auto" theres some older articles out there that are a good read.
I prefer VARGET powder as it covers alot of ground and other calipers I shoot. I use the CCI 41 primers.
Reloading componants are tough in mass to find in bulk. You need to find a dealer that will order the stuff for you or trips to NH or other free state.

I have been reloading thousands of 5.56 in the past few months/year and have settled on 28.5 gr of W748, 55GR FMJ pulled, CCI 41 or 450 primers and whatever brass I pick up. If I have crimps I use a Weldon DB-18 90 degree bit in a drill and out they come. I have used Varget which is a good choice as well as H335, also a good choice. But, like firearm selection, everyone seems to settle on what works best for them, so there really is no bad combination unless you do something really dumb like use titegroup or blue dot.
As stated, pick up a couple good reloading books, they are a wealth of knowledge. Some folks like dual or triple use powders, I am not a fan of that. Develop a good load and stay with that, its like a good dog, you can't go wrong with consistency. I'll use W296 just for 357 magnum and Blue dot just for 9mm, but that's me.

If your using LC cases if it hasn't been done already the primer crimp will have to be removed before any reloading begins.
Hopefully someone here is near by and can let you borrow a primer pocket swager.

also when buying in bulk 500 bullets is not really worth it unless looking into different types and loads before sinking $$$$

Last edited:
thanks and keep it coming

First off I didnt know that I couldnt post a thread in two diff places so Im sorry for that.

second this is good stuff so thank you. I do have multiple books on reloading and are in the process of reading them right now. The person that I will be reloading with does know a lot and will be able to anwser a ton of these questions but when it comes to 223 and military grade he might not know. Some of you guys/girls may. While being in the infantry we didnt go over the powder we went over the 203 gernade launcher on that sucker... so Im new to this and could use and thing you guys got.

so far
I was already thinking CCI
I was already thinking H335

I just want to know what bullett to buy for money. for MASS what is best...

also brass for a while is not an issue. id say in about 2 months maybe less it will. then what. what links do you guys got for once fired LC or brass do you think is best for reloads.
thanks a lot for your help!!

thanks

Army Veteran

If your using LC cases if it hasn't been done already the primer crimp will have to be removed before any reloading begins.
Hopefully someone here is near by and can let you borrow a primer pocket swager.

I have used a couple of primer pocket swagers, CH and Dillon 600, but have found that a 90 deg carbide reamer in a drill is the best way to remove the crimp from 223 military brass. Cheaper, too.

If your close enough to NH go to Riley's in Hooksett. They usually have a good supply of reloading components and they are as cheap if not cheaper than KTP and no sales tax. If you know someone in NH have them order a large supply of bullets and then pick them up from there.

LC is very good brass and a someone said, the crimp needs to be removed. It's my go to brass for highpower shooting. I came up with a bunch of WCC a few years back which is OK but the primer pockets don't stay tight like the LC's. Stay away from Federal brass, the primer pockets will loosen up after a few firings. Can't help with your loads as I only shoot 69 grain and up. I usually use Varget when I really care about accuracy and Accurate 2460 when I don't feel like weighing as it meters really well through my powder measure. My favorite primer is Federal Match 205m's for the Varget and I use CCI mag small rifle (450??) primers for the Accurate powder.

I've used Varget and had excellent results with different bullets in 5.56mm as well as .30-06 for both of my fudd rifles.

Back
Top Bottom