• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.223 FEDERAL 50 GRAIN AE223G for home defense - opinions?

I'm finally coming around to the idea 223 for home defense and ammoman.com has .223 FEDERAL 50 GRAIN AE223G at a great price. Anybody have experience with or informed opinions on this round for home defense?

I don't shoot a .223 anymore, but I have loaded the Sinterfire frangibles in .223 Rem., and others.
Ever consider these projectiles?

a 50 grain hp is not going to penetrate sufficiently unless it is one of the newer monolithic barrier rounds such as TSX from Barnes or GMX from Hornady. The AE load is a varmint load. You will get violent fragmentation, the wound will be nasty, but it may not penetrate to the vitals according to FBI protocols. If you are looking for a non-barrier load on the cheap - look at the 69 or 75gr Privi BTHP loadings - usually you can get 20 rounds for 10 bucks - enough of a deal that you can practice. I find that the POA/POI of 69gr BTHP is very close to m855. If you want good performance against likely barriers like wallboard and car doors, look to loadings with the TSX bullet, or a bonded soft point. Speer makes a Gold Dot loading that is excellent, and Fusion uses an identical bullet type to the Speer load for is 223 offering. Nosler has a partition bullet, as well as a bonded load. Keep in mind that anything that will penetrate sufficiently in human tissue is going to also penetrate walls. No such thing as a free lunch.

a 50 grain hp is not going to penetrate sufficiently unless it is one of the newer monolithic barrier rounds such as TSX from Barnes or GMX from Hornady. The AE load is a varmint load. You will get violent fragmentation, the wound will be nasty, but it may not penetrate to the vitals according to FBI protocols...

Excatly the kind of feedback I was looking for; many thanks!~

Back
Top Bottom