• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.223 case prep

I get slightly better accuracy with crimped .223 when loading cheap bullets in mixed brass (both headstamps and # of times fired). I'm not sure it's worth the extra step though.

The opposite is true with good bullets and matched brass.

Good bullets don't have cannelures?

Some guys swear that their groups get smaller with a light crimp (talking about match grade stuff here.) Other guys say it doesn't make a difference either way. I don't know, but I've shot some pretty small groups with crimped bullets. In any case I don't see how a light crimp could hurt anything.

There are a few threads on this over at NM. Here's one "To crimp or not to crimp": http://www.usrifleteams.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15529&st=0&p=135072

Maybe the crimp I tried wasn't light enough. I admit - I didn't do a lot of experimenting with it because I'm always looking for an excuse to not do an extra step.

Though I might have to revisit it now.

ETA: That link requires a sign-in.

Last edited:
Maybe the crimp I tried wasn't light enough. I admit - I didn't do a lot of experimenting with it because I'm always looking for an excuse to not do an extra step.

Though I might have to revisit it now.

My best 300 yard rapid string ever was a tight 8x clean down at Camp Butner last May. I was shooting 69 grain Sierra SMKs, LC brass, Wolf SRM primers, and Reloader 15 (25.7 if I recall correctly though it's been a while.) I put a light crimp on with the Lee factory die. I think I was still using my Dillon 550 then.

I think Jasper took a picture of it. I surprised myself that day. [grin]

My best 300 yard rapid string ever was a tight 8x clean down at Camp Butner last May. I was shooting 69 grain Sierra SMKs, LC brass, Wolf SRM primers, and Reloader 15 (25.7 if I recall correctly though it's been a while.) I put a light crimp on with the Lee factory die. I think I was still using my Dillon 550 then.

I think Jasper took a picture of it. I surprised myself that day. [grin]
Could it be you just had a good day...blood preasure normal....good nights sleep? Or did you never crimp up until that day and finally your groups shrunk after crimping.

I only ask because I did a crony test crimp vs no crimp
loaded 20 rounds each...... the crimped had a larger spread than the non crimp? Accuracy was not tested as I can not focus well with a crony in front of me. Imxnew to this but my thinking is.
Even with a lee fcd unless your necks are uniform in thickness and run out the crimp can not be consistant. Never mind the consistancy of the press preasure on the arm?
Also from all that I read you only crimp bullets with a crimp groove or cannelure, right.

I think I have a NIB FCD. Never crimped one case and they all go where they're supposed to if I do my part.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

Could it be you just had a good day...blood preasure normal....good nights sleep?.

Definitely a better than average showing for me, but the point is that crimping obviously didn't kill the accuracy. I've also shot some pretty tight groups at 600 using crimped 80 grain SMKs. (I cleaned a string back there in a 3x600 fun match with a scope. I want to say the agg was 595 or something like that, and that was the first time I ever shot that rifle.) Anyway, I don't think I'm losing any significant accuracy potential by crimping.

When it warms up I'll do a the Pepsi challenge out at 600 with the scope so that I know for sure that it's not my eyesight. Should be interesting.

i dont crimp my 600yd stuff, only because I use 1 particular lot of brass, with 1 particular lot of bullets. neck tension is always there, because its high quality brass, and even spot checking regularly, I cant find any cases that are WAY out

I crimp my 200/300yd stuff. again, didnt notice any loss in accuracy, but I've also shot my tightest groups @ 300yards with the crimped ammo

using a Lee FCD, the crimp ring barely gracing the edge of the case (maybe 1/32" of "crimp" showing). My cases are trimmed after every firing/sizing, so I can say with some degree of certainty that the crimp is consistent

neck wall thickness on everything i've checked has been +/- .003", thats LC brass, headstamp dates ranging from 2010 back to 89.

i dont crimp my 600yd stuff, only because I use 1 particular lot of brass, with 1 particular lot of bullets. neck tension is always there, because its high quality brass, and even spot checking regularly, I cant find any cases that are WAY out

I crimp my 200/300yd stuff. again, didnt notice any loss in accuracy, but I've also shot my tightest groups @ 300yards with the crimped ammo

using a Lee FCD, the crimp ring barely gracing the edge of the case (maybe 1/32" of "crimp" showing). My cases are trimmed after every firing/sizing, so I can say with some degree of certainty that the crimp is consistent

neck wall thickness on everything i've checked has been +/- .003", thats LC brass, headstamp dates ranging from 2010 back to 89.

Thanks for adding a step. You guys suck.

Just for clarification... Are you using bullets with or without a cannelure?

Thanks for adding a step. You guys suck.

Just for clarification... Are you using bullets with or without a cannelure?

Without. Sierra 80 grain SMKs at 600 and Nosler 77s (basically an SMK copy, but way cheaper) at 200 and 300.

Back
Top Bottom